British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-08-18, 08:34 PM

Default Commando beret

Hi guys missed out on this beret on ebay .. should i be happy i missed it or annoyed as it was a good one ?? Gut was telling me there were a few buts that didnt look right .. but please let me know thank you rolly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180816-213008.jpg (36.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180816-213026.jpg (30.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180816-213041.jpg (24.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180816-213048.jpg (23.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 16-08-18, 11:20 PM

It depends what you were hoping for. You can't expect a genuine WW2 green beret for that price. This one appears a post war beret (I would say early 60s). The WD stamp is not original IMO. Have a look at the nice documentation provided by Steve (ASR142) on this forum.
Cheers
Pierre
Old 17-08-18, 05:55 AM

Looking at the pics, it was sold by one of the many alias's being used by a seller I have heard is known for enhancing or doctoring items to increase their value IMO.

The slider pocket makes it post war.

Jerry
Old 17-08-18, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
It depends what you were hoping for. You can't expect a genuine WW2 green beret for that price. This one appears a post war beret (I would say early 60s). The WD stamp is not original IMO. Have a look at the nice documentation provided by Steve (ASR142) on this forum.
Cheers
Pierre
That's very true, you have to remember, due to the scarce nature of good war time berets more specific Para and Commandos etc people have been faking them for years. to the degree people are pulling out liners of other wartime berets and then re stitching them to more desirable colors, not that uncommon to see a Kangol with the totally wrong weave on the outside etc
Old 17-08-18, 09:40 AM

OK not commando but my original tank beret.....(Kangol borrowed this once for a sales talk and returned it with an 'up to date one'...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !aberet.jpg (48.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 17-08-18, 09:55 AM

Thanx guys .. the slider bit was a bit of a no no for me hence why i didnt purchase it .. i understand its unlikely to pick one up that cheap as are most bits related to special forces and commandos and paras . But as always u guys have helped and every day is a school day .. thank you