British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-18, 05:31 PM

Default SAS Wings

There is a collector that claims two of these wings belonged to Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne and that they are of WWII origin. I have no knowledge of these kind of insignia, but I find his story a little fishy. Can any of you share your knowledge around these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38023158_10155680893301186_1796550155235753984_n.jpg (35.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 31-07-18, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorBn View Post
There is a collector that claims two of these wings belonged to Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne and that they are of WWII origin. I have no knowledge of these kind of insignia, but I find his story a little fishy. Can any of you share your knowledge around these?
All look pretty modern to me and would imagine the smaller sized ones are for wear on mess kit and the larger size for wear on Number 1 dress blues. Neither Mess Kit nor Number 1 dress were worn during WW2 so the chances of these being WW2 vintage are (IMO) very remote. I'm sure more knowledgeable collectors than I will offer their opinions

PL
Old 31-07-18, 06:06 PM

Thank you, he claims these came out of the British War Museum and that they were sold by a mistake after they had been removed from uniform for cleaning. It sounds like one of those stories that is just to good to be true.
Old 31-07-18, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorBn View Post
Thank you, he claims these came out of the British War Museum and that they were sold by a mistake after they had been removed from uniform for cleaning. It sounds like one of those stories that is just to good to be true.
Sounds like total b*llsh*t to me - who or what is the "British War Museum" ?? why would cloth badges EVER be removed from uniform for cleaning - it just wouldn't happen as it would damage the integrity of the uniform, let alone then selling them by mistake. Invite the owner to join this forum and see how his story stands up to serious scrutiny

Just saying...…..

PL
Old 31-07-18, 07:45 PM

This is just one of his many increadible stories on his badges from different special forces. They usually don't survive very long
Old 31-07-18, 08:11 PM

The guy is talking sh#t, jeez what utter bolloxs.

Jerry
Old 31-07-18, 10:09 PM

Default SAS Wings

Just tell him he's a liar. Simple as that
Old 01-08-18, 05:32 AM

If the bloke does not know for sure himself he should say so
If he has told you something he has been told he has been misled
If he has made it all up you should not have anything further to do with him

If you ever have any doubts about an item the rule is generally 'if in doubt leave it out'

Nothing devalues a collection more than finding repros in it

Mike
Old 01-08-18, 09:02 AM

All are original wings for Blues and Mess Kit but are late 50s onwards so were made when Paddy Mayne was deceased.

Graham
Old 01-08-18, 10:47 AM

Graham
Fair point ... I was getting carried away ...
I really dislike those who 'elaborate' or mislead
Mike
Old 01-08-18, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
If the bloke does not know for sure himself he should say so
If he has told you something he has been told he has been misled
If he has made it all up you should not have anything further to do with him

If you ever have any doubts about an item the rule is generally 'if in doubt leave it out'

Nothing devalues a collection more than finding repros in it

Mike
Good advice from Mike.

I would also add buy the item not the story and always check the provenance.

Hearsay is not provenance. Provenance is a signed letter from the veteran with a photo of the vet with the item e.g. a Paratrooper wearing wings and a letter from the vet saying "these are my wings and they are the ones I am wearing in the photo". Not a guy at the carboot fair told me he bought these from a wartime Paratrooper who jumped at Arnhem and won a Military Medal...

Use common sense, don't believe exaggerated and nonsensical stories, but if you buy an important item from a veteran try to get some history and record the provenance.

Enjoy the hobby, Keith
Old 01-08-18, 02:50 PM

I was 99,99% sure that the story he told was not even close to real, so thank you all for confirming that. I never even thought about getting involved in doing business with this man and I can't afford the £9000 he wanted for these anyway
Old 01-08-18, 08:39 PM

Does anyone know what actually did happen to Mayne's uniforms? Still with the family or SAS regimental collection would make more sense than the inane gobbledygook this chap came up with.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 01-08-18, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by popskipa View Post
Good advice from Mike.

I would also add buy the item not the story and always check the provenance.

Hearsay is not provenance. Provenance is a signed letter from the veteran with a photo of the vet with the item e.g. a Paratrooper wearing wings and a letter from the vet saying "these are my wings and they are the ones I am wearing in the photo". Not a guy at the carboot fair told me he bought these from a wartime Paratrooper who jumped at Arnhem and won a Military Medal...

Use common sense, don't believe exaggerated and nonsensical stories, but if you buy an important item from a veteran try to get some history and record the provenance.

Enjoy the hobby, Keith
A bit hard to get if they're dead.
Old 02-08-18, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
A bit hard to get if they're dead.
Very true...