British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-07-18, 11:57 AM

Mike the wings have been removed from a uniform. The stitching line is still lightly visible on the reverse photo. I believe the fellow on the pole in post 1 is also the the OSS member who the wings belonged too based on comparison and IMO.
Thanks
Jack

Last edited by irish; 29-07-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 29-07-18, 05:25 PM

In reading the link on Christine Granville and Mike’s link to Force 133 there are a few common intersections that I see. Cairo and Bari. An American collector who has seen the wing thought India. My feelings “with no proof to back it up” is North Africa likely Egyptian. It is being worn by the OSS member prior to his moving to Italy from what I can see. The back of the wing is not consistent with Italian made pieces. It appears too finely made for India, meaning the thickness of thread is thinner and a bit softer.
Old 29-07-18, 05:52 PM

Hi Jack - yes agree re the image of wear in post 1
Also - you echo my thoughts on form and construction - surely Middle East.
Certainly doubt Far East, or Italy, and can not see the logic of British ... in fact pretty unique and I remain convinced Middle East (including strong possibility of Egypt) ... of course, I always welcome comments ... it is good to debate these points.
All the best
Mike
Old 03-08-18, 05:39 PM

A discussion started on a forum here in the U.S. regarding the photo showing the sign .."HQ Adriatic Depot"...

It has been suggested that the "HQ Adriatic Depot" was in fact "HQ Land Forces Adriatic, "LFA". In addition that the OSS individual may have been attached to the LFA. Curious what others thought of this idea?

In addition I wanted to add my source for the conclusion that the SBS was the Special Bari Section. It was found in a document at the National Archives titled.. and it can be googled as such

"OSS Glossary of Initialisms, Abbreviations, and Acronyms...Office of Strategic Services Records (Record Group 226)"

In the S section............SBS Special Bari Section, OSS Balkan Operations

Thanks
Jack

Last edited by irish; 03-08-18 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-08-18, 06:47 AM

Lets face it - Bari was a real 'melting pot' for units having an interest in Balkans, Yugoslavia etc. I am sure I have read of US interests in the theatre too, supported by your findings regarding OSS (Special Bari Section).

This article is lengthy but interesting and worthy of further analysis:
http://www.britain-at-war.org.uk/ww2...driatic_hq.htm

Note the LFA formation sign in the MT HQ image. Is the bloke front second left a Yank?

I have a feeling the following (next) article makes the common mistake of misappropriating the acronym 'SBS', - and it is Jellicoe's 'Special Boat Squadron' that is being referred to when the author talks of the unit under LFA (as opposed to earlier Commando 'Special Boat Section' briefly incorporated into early SAS. The (Royal Marine associated) 'Special Boat Service' is a more recent reincarnation.

https://jramc.bmj.com/content/jramc/85/1/41.full.pdf

There is the whole matter of the role and composition of Brigadier Turnbull's Raiding Forces Middle East - it is all a fascinating but complex theatre of war to analyse.

I hope the articles are of interest

Having not seen the discussion on the American forum it is difficult to comment more specifically.

Regards
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 04-08-18 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-08-18, 11:08 AM

Default Para Wing worn by OSS

During the period the parachute Training School was in Operation at Bari in Italy (I think it was 4 METS) somewhere in the region of 70 men who have either the annotation of OSS or OSS/SBS passed through it. It seems that by their ranks they were in the main members of the US Forces.

Members of the SBS (British Army) who attended the training school just have the annotation SBS as their Regiment.

As far as I can see none of the men with OSS/SBS went on to serve with the British SBS.

This makes me feel that Special Bari Section is the likely meaning of the letters used by the US Forces.

I was unable to find Charles Fisher's name amoncst those who trained there. Not that particularily means anything as he could have been trained at other establishments in either the UK,US or North Africa.

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 04-08-18, 11:15 AM

Default Para Wing worn by OSS

As a quick update i have found a member of the OSS by the bame of Lt C.O. Fisher on a roll for the parachute training school at Kabrit in North Africa.

He was on course 98 which commenced on 5/2/44

Cheers

Arnhem
Old 04-08-18, 11:43 AM

Arnhem - superb information thank you. This thread has been very useful in uncovering a lot of information I did't know. Thanks to Jack for raising the subject
Mike
Old 05-08-18, 02:31 PM

Arnhem thank you for that information. In reviewing the OSS personnel files available online I believe that Charles Fisher's middle initial was indeed "O". so this should be our man. Had not heard of the Kabrit Parachute School prior to this. Will give me some additional research to pursue.

Mike appreciate your continued interest in this topic. I have read through one half of the first link you provided. Very interesting. What struck me in addition to the special units involved was the always present search for more to eat and or better food to eat, more sleep, a bit of drink, and smokes. A common thread in all war memories irregardless of the units involved

I am attaching a photo of an additional OSS officer unnamed at this point. it is dated roughly December 1944 in Sienna Italy. Sienna from what I have found also had OSS/SOE connections. He is wearing both a U.S. jump wing as well as what appears to be a British wing. Difficult to tell from the photo if it is the standard pattern British wing or a different type.
Thanks
Jack

Last edited by irish; 05-08-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 27-10-20, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Congratulations, an excellent find. Looking forward to any further posts concerning the grouping. Good to see images of insignia in wear too.
The design is very similar to a wing I have with attributed links to SOE Middle East : Force 133.
Mike
Hi Mike,

I believe I have some other memorabilia belong to the same Veteran.
Old 27-10-20, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintconor View Post
Hi Mike,

I believe I have some other memorabilia belong to the same Veteran.
Excellent - it would be great if you could share images ... we are always interested to learn on this Forum - the more information the better ... hoping you do not mind posting images
Regards
Mike