British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-07-20, 02:23 AM
atillathenunns's Avatar
atillathenunns atillathenunns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 1,280
Default

The NZANS badge was produced by several makers, the first 60 made by C.M. Bay were numbered and are very rare.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-07-20, 02:48 AM
Home Guard's Avatar
Home Guard Home Guard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 545
Default

Atillathenunns, That is great information!!! I can only imagine one of the first 60 would indeed be rare!!!

Thanks for posting,

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-07-20, 05:59 AM
Milmed's Avatar
Milmed Milmed is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,225
Default

I believe the same badge was worn throughout WWII BY NZANS as well, only getting a unique Cap and collar badge post 1950's

Terry, the red cross you referred to in an earlier post looks like an arm badge worn by the Australian nurses in WWII.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-07-20, 03:41 PM
Home Guard's Avatar
Home Guard Home Guard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 545
Default

Thanks Milmed! Beginning to better understand. One thing for sure to have a proper collection, I need to pursue on of those badges.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-07-20, 12:35 AM
kingsley kingsley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 738
Default

I have a picture somewhere in my files of the large red cross cloth badge, worn on a WW2 VAD uniform. I doubt if it was WW1.
Australian VAD nurses in Britain in WW1 wore a rising sun collar badge with a red cross in the centre and just 'Australia' on the scroll, really rare. There is a thread somewhere on the Forum. It is illustrated also on the AWM website with pictures of the uniform. The VAD, Anna Hogg, is wearing a British Red Cross/VAD cap badge with the Australian collar badges.
Another rare badge is a WW2 rising sun cape badge with an attached "Nursing Training" scroll in blue enamel, very few made.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-07-20, 02:13 AM
Home Guard's Avatar
Home Guard Home Guard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 545
Default

Kingsley, Truly excellent as my interest is from the beginning to current times, so everything is helpful. if you are able to locate the picture of the VAD nurse I would love to see it!

Thanks for the help,

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-07-20, 03:02 AM
Jackhr Jackhr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: St Leonards Victoria, Australia
Posts: 881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
I have a picture somewhere in my files of the large red cross cloth badge, worn on a WW2 VAD uniform. I doubt if it was WW1.
Australian VAD nurses in Britain in WW1 wore a rising sun collar badge with a red cross in the centre and just 'Australia' on the scroll, really rare. There is a thread somewhere on the Forum. It is illustrated also on the AWM website with pictures of the uniform. The VAD, Anna Hogg, is wearing a British Red Cross/VAD cap badge with the Australian collar badges.
Another rare badge is a WW2 rising sun cape badge with an attached "Nursing Training" scroll in blue enamel, very few made.
Do you have any links to the forum or AWM to view please.

Cheers Rob
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-07-20, 03:05 AM
Home Guard's Avatar
Home Guard Home Guard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 545
Default

Rob, I found it here. Go to the collections section and then sort through what you want to see. I went to uniforms and pictures and found lots!

https://www.awm.gov.au/

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-07-20, 05:26 AM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
The NZANS badge was produced by several makers, the first 60 made by C.M. Bay were numbered and are very rare.
Hi Brent,
I have a C M BAY badge with the number 429. I wonder where it fits in?
Also have a M&KLtd marked badge, brooched with chain and safety pin.
Regards,
John
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-07-20, 09:05 AM
kingsley kingsley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 738
Default

The AWM website shows ADA Hogg's uniform and badges clearly, including the rare rising sun collar badge. Other WW2 photos show the large cloth red cross
badge. Sorry I could not find the Forum link but it is there somewhere.
There are TWO varieties of the rising sun badges with a red cross and "Australia", both rare. Ada Hogg's is smaller and has a scroll with fancy ends, the other is slightly larger and has a much plainer scroll.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-07-20, 09:45 AM
badgecollector's Avatar
badgecollector badgecollector is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
There are TWO varieties of the rising sun badges with a red cross and "Australia", both rare. Ada Hogg's is smaller and has a scroll with fancy ends, the other is slightly larger and has a much plainer scroll.
hi kingsley
is this the other version you refer to? this one doesn't have the enameled cross but i do have an enameled one somewhere.
i didn't know there was this other version as seen on Adas uniform.
thanks for pointing it out
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redcross.jpg (43.3 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-07-20, 03:37 PM
Home Guard's Avatar
Home Guard Home Guard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 545
Default

BC, that is an awesome badge!!! If you find the enameled one please share a picture.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 13-07-20, 03:15 AM
kingsley kingsley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 738
Default

BC's badge is the larger one with a plain scroll. I have never seen it in enamel, only a painted cross.
I am sure that there is a Forum post somewhere showing the smaller one that Ada Hogg is wearing. I will have a look for it on my other computer and maybe will find the WW2 VAD uniform photo as well.
Don't forget that there was a large cloth sleeve badge worn by nurses in WW1.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 13-07-20, 03:17 AM
dumdum's Avatar
dumdum dumdum is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 468
Default

Hi

The NZANS badge that you show is the WW2 one made by Mayer & Kean of Wellington. The clue is the red of the enamel cross (transparent red with the "cross hatching" visible through the enamel).

Bay's NZANS badges are a little different in that the crown is smaller (I think) and the red cross is opaque red enamel. They are also marked "C.M. Bay".

They have a number engraved on the back of the crown which, I think, is their nurse's registration number, not their service number. I see that Tinto has one numbered "429". I think that I've seen a list somewhere for these (think, brain, think....)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 13-07-20, 05:14 AM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi

The NZANS badge that you show is the WW2 one made by Mayer & Kean of Wellington. The clue is the red of the enamel cross (transparent red with the "cross hatching" visible through the enamel).

Bay's NZANS badges are a little different in that the crown is smaller (I think) and the red cross is opaque red enamel. They are also marked "C.M. Bay".

They have a number engraved on the back of the crown which, I think, is their nurse's registration number, not their service number. I see that Tinto has one numbered "429". I think that I've seen a list somewhere for these (think, brain, think....)
Hi dumdum,
I agree with your comments except that the size of the crowns of mine are almost the same size, the difference being the C.M.BAY one has a "flatter" topped crown.

Incidentally, according to Sherayl McNabb's book on the history of New Zealand Military Nursing, the number 429 was given to Staff Nurse Rose Emily Garner (married name Hughes), attested 18/01/1917, served at Featherston Military Camp Hospital; 2 NZ General Hospital UK; Struck off strength NZEF 09/12/1919.

Cheers, John

Last edited by Tinto; 13-07-20 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.