British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-06-11, 05:40 PM

Default Another Commonwealth badge...

QC badge.

Is there a difference between the different commonwealth contingent' badges?

BP
Old 14-06-11, 06:04 PM

Default 1st Commonwealth Division

1st Commonwealth Division was formed on 15 Jul 51. Its main components on formation were 25 Canadian Infantry Brigade, 28 British Commonwealth Infantry Brigade (which included 3 RAR) and 29 British Infantry Brigade. Divisional Troops included British, Canadian, New Zealand and Indian units. Apart from the proliferation of "bazaar"-made items from Korea and Japan, the standard printed (later silk embroidered) signs were the first and second patterns of the Tudor Crown variant. First pattern had the word COMMONWEALTH on a white panel. The second pattern did not. In 1952 the crown changed to the St Edward's Crown.
On 15 Apr 56 1st Commonwealth Division was redesignated Commonwealth Contingent Korea.
As far as I know the official formation sign was the UK made item - in its variants. I don't think that non-British troops wore versions of the sign made in, for example, Canada or Australia. But I'll be delighted to be proved wrong!
Old 15-06-11, 12:34 AM

Default 1st Commonwealth Division Patches

Here are two images of the patch still sewn to the original armlets.

Old 15-06-11, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

25 Canadian Infantry Brigade wore the red shield patch shown below on the right arm and the Commonwealth Division patch on the left.
Mike, you may be able to confirm or correct me, but I believe the l of c and divisional troops wore the British Forces Commonwealth patch?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25 bde patch.jpg (58.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 15-06-11, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
25 Canadian Infantry Brigade wore the red shield patch shown below on the right arm and the Commonwealth Division patch on the left.
Mike, you may be able to confirm or correct me, but I believe the l of c and divisional troops wore the British Forces Commonwealth patch?
Bill,
I'll see what I can find out, but I have two brassards (both worn by the same officer) one of which has the Divisional sign with KC and the second with QC - both below an EonF ROYAL ARTILLERY title. KC and the other QC. The owner served in 12 (Minden) Bty, 20 Fd Regt RA (ie Div Troops).
Old 15-06-11, 08:06 AM

A variety of brassards. The RTR example was worn by an officer in 5 RTR. The example with the shamrock was possibly worn by 1 RUR. The first British units to deploy to Korea were drawn from 40 Infantry Division - which was based in Hong Kong, and wore its sign in Korea, hence the inclusion of this brassard. History does not relate what the US Army thought of having allies who wore a "yellow chicken" on their shoulders!
img003.jpgimg004.jpgimg005.jpgimg006.jpgimg007.jpg
Old 15-06-11, 10:43 AM

Default 1 Commonwealth Division

Finally - for now - a few variants including the rare, printed first pattern - COMMONWEALTH on white backing and a locally produced version, probably for wear on Best BD on demob leave.
1 Comwel Div.jpg
Old 15-06-11, 12:24 PM

Default Dorset Regiment - Korea

Here is a QC version on a brassard to the Dorset Regiment - as displayed in the Regimental Museum in Dorchester
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dorset Regiment Korea.jpg (63.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 16-06-11, 02:20 AM

Default Korea - Canadian Red UN Shield

Here is the mate to the armlet with the Commonwealth patch.

Old 16-06-11, 04:37 PM

regards ,Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C1.jpg (41.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 16-06-11, 06:30 PM

Well, since we're all posting pictures, I might as well put my other one up too:

Great patches everyone! Those brassards are amazing! Where did you get them? I've never seen any for sale.

Keep 'em comming!

BP
Old 16-06-11, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigade Piron View Post
Well, since we're all posting pictures, I might as well put my other one up too:

Great patches everyone! Those brassards are amazing! Where did you get them? I've never seen any for sale.

Keep 'em comming!

BP
Easy really. Just start collecting in 1958!
Mike
Old 18-06-11, 07:03 AM

I feel I've rather missed the boat

Incidentally, why does the brassard show the 40th div patch when surely the division only lasted a few weeks in Korea? Did other troops outside Korea wear brassards?

Thanks
Old 18-06-11, 08:06 AM

Default 40 Inf Div

Originally a First World War formation, 40 Inf Div was re-formed in Hong Kong in 1949. Two of its battalions - 1 Middlesex and 1 A&SH together with a "slice" of the Divisional Troops were detached from the 27 Inf Bde of the 40th Inf Div and sent to Korea in August 1950 where they formed the basis (with 32 Aust Inf Bn) of what became known as 27 British Commonwealth Brigade. The British element of 27 British Commonwealth Brigade will probably have continued to wear the bantam cock sign until the formation of 1st Commonwealth Division in July 1951 (and the introduction of its formation sign). Similarly the British 29 Inf Bde which was mobilised in UK in Sep 50 (1 RNF, 1 Gloucesters, 1 RUR) for service in Korea was still wearing the brigade sign (a white ring on a black square) while serving in Korea in late 1950/early 1951.
To my knowledge, brassards have been worn frequently but intermittently in the British Army for the 1940s to 2000s. They provide an easy solution to the problem of wearing signs on forms of dress that are regularly laundered as well as on items of clothing on loan from a central store - such as cold weather parkas etc. But the practice was most widespread in Korea. Members will probably have seen scores of different examples over the years. I wore one - semi officially - bearing the RMA SANDHURST shoulder title and the US 7th Army patch when attached to the US 11th Armoured Cavalry Regiment in Germany in 1962.
Old 18-06-11, 09:31 AM

My album shows a selection of more "modern" brassards dating from the 1990s and worn mainly during the first Gulf conflict and deployments in Bosnia under United Nations command. The modern equivalent is rank badges worn on slides on the chest epaulette and formation badges velcro backed for attachment to (and easy removal from) clothing and body armour.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=491

Tim