British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-13, 01:45 PM

Default R. Munster Fusiliers OSD small badges

Folks

I am trying to do some quick research on the wearing of small size bronzed collar & cap badges by officers of The Royal Munster Fusiliers in OSD.

The type as illustrated by Churchill as fig 1874 and is the bronzed version of the badge below.

All of my material shows silver & gilt (or at least highly polished) badges in use in OSD, does anyone have photos or the bronzed versions in use, links to websites or any other references that they would be willing to share?

thanks in advance.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSD.jpg (55.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 27-04-13, 01:59 PM

Officer Royal Munster Fusiliers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Archive_Officer_Royal_Munster_Fusiliers.jpg (36.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 27-04-13, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jembo View Post
Officer Royal Munster Fusiliers
Many thanks for the reply - but note those badges are not bronzed.

And I suspect they are not bonzed OSD badges with the bronzing polished off also if the 1 Bn R.M.F. 1917 National War museum response is representative of the other Bns.

John

more about the gentleman in question here.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...=major+munster
Old 30-04-13, 05:59 PM

John due to a paucity of photos of officers showing the badges I cannot find out for sure if the bronzed badges were worn at all. If they were perhaps it was just the Regular battalions. It is an interesting conundrum. Have you tried the National Archives of Ireland? They are very approachable and I have a contact in the photographic archive there.
Old 21-06-13, 12:36 AM

Thank you to both "Jembo" & "Toby" for replying. I am re-freshing this thread in the hope of getting more input.

I think I see a trend of Officers of Fusilier Regiments migrating to small (collar size) badges in the period 1905 - 1912, sometimes collar badges , sometimes cap badges sometimes both - all in contravention of what Dress Regs said.

Am I correct, do others see the same trend ?

If so do any know how and why?

I have posted elsewhere on the forum how the trend for hackles for Fusilier got going (in the FSH) but I have yet to see anything (other than the photos I come across) for what I think is a penchant for small grenade badges among officers of certain regiments. I realize this is a generalization, and the context of my question is the move to smaller collars by the Munsters & Dublins and the move to a smaller cap badge by the Munsters.

Thanks in advance for any input.

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 21-06-13 at 12:45 AM. Reason: added final sentance.
Old 26-07-13, 08:42 PM

If you will all forgive me I shall bump this up as, after a few months of "casual research", I have yet to find a photo of non polished small OSD collar badges in use 1914-22. I use this term to acknowledge that some regiments may have polished bronzed badges and black & white photos may not allow one to appreciate this.

I have however, found nothing but a desert of images prior to 1914.

I would appreciate any help.

John
Old 27-07-13, 09:03 AM

John, I know it's not fusiliers but Peter B (8th Foot) has / had (I can't find it in his albums at the moment) a photograph of a KLR officer wearing a pair of OSD collar badges in his collars AND a r h collar badge on his cap too !!!
He is wearing an upright collar and a cord shoulder strap on his ?khaki tunic, which I guess dates from between 1902 and whenever they gave up that kind of tunic.
Can anyone enlighten me when officers changed to an open collared tunic ???? J
Old 27-07-13, 10:06 AM

Julian,
Is this the photo you mean ?

P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0875.jpg (78.7 KB, 26 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”