British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-01-13, 08:55 AM

Default MHD ?

This is not a badge related topic but does the abbreviation M H D ring a bell with anyone?

I am researching a firearm. It is a breechloader conversion from an 1866 type cavalry carbine using the unusual and very uncommon Cornish's Patent breech block. Though I have a reasonable collection of reference material I am having a great deal of trouble finding any information on Cornish's patent weapons.

Despite the standard Enfield pattern 1853 lock plate being marked "Tower 1866" this example has none of the usual official acceptance markings so I expect that it is probably a private purchase/volunteer type weapon.

The Butt plate tang is nicely engraved M H D 7. The 7 is possibly a rack number but there is also the number "39" stamped on the right side of the butt where rack numbers are also frequently stamped. Either way, one or other of the numbers must imply that the weapon was part of a set issued to a particular group and not a "one off". It would be very helpful to my research if I could determine just who that group was and I expect that group was known by the abbreviation. M H D. Since the cavalry configuration has been retained for the gun I imagine that the M H D must be a mounted regiment or group.......and most certainly British or British Colonial.

So far the only meanings for M H D that I have located are for the U.S. Military History Detachment and the Midlands Historical Data (a digital library of regimental histories) I doubt very much that either of these bodies is represented my the M H D on the gun.

Any suggestions or leads to assist in determing the meaning of this inscription would be greatly appreciated.

Donny B.

Last edited by Donny B.; 09-01-13 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-01-13, 10:03 AM
Banned

Donny

Do you have any idea of a location ?
Country , area of the world , anything at all for this carbine .

Jock

Is there a photo ?

Last edited by Spr Jock; 09-01-13 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-01-13, 10:23 AM
Banned

Donny

Have you come across this ?
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...xhKbAJPf95JHng
There might be somethig worthwhile in it
Old 09-01-13, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr Jock View Post
Donny

Do you have any idea of a location ?
Country , area of the world , anything at all for this carbine .

Jock

Is there a photo ?

Thanks for the response, Jock.

It is a British Rifle converted from the cavalry version (Pat 1866) of the British 1853 series of Enfields so I can only presume that it is British or British colonial. One of the few references that I have found hinted at a possibility of it being a Canadian conversion but I would need someone to convince me of that.

I do know that large numbers of the Enfields were produced by the trade for export to the Confederacy during the U.S. Civil War but I am not aware of any converted weapons being sent there.

No photo at the present time.

Your article on the Enfield rifles made interesting reading. I noticed, though, that they jumped straight from the Pat 1853 to the Martini Henry with no mention of the conversions.

Donny B.
Old 09-01-13, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny B. View Post
Thanks for the response, Jock.

It is a British Rifle converted from the cavalry version (Pat 1866) of the British 1853 series of Enfields so I can only presume that it is British or British colonial. One of the few references that I have found hinted at a possibility of it being a Canadian conversion but I would need someone to convince me of that.

I do know that large numbers of the Enfields were produced by the trade for export to the Confederacy during the U.S. Civil War but I am not aware of any converted weapons being sent there.

No photo at the present time.

Your article on the Enfield rifles made interesting reading. I noticed, though, that they jumped straight from the Pat 1853 to the Martini Henry with no mention of the conversions.

Donny B.
Ah well , it was worth a try .

Is it worth contacting Enfield , who are now BAE Systems Global Combat Systems Munitions. ?