British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-11-22, 09:46 PM

Default CHELTENHAM COLLEGE Remembrance

Attended remembrance service today 3 grandchildren are pupils
In the service attention was drawn to 2 flags on the alter , Cheltenham College is one of only 2 who have the Queens/sovereign colour flag circle around the school creast reads Cheltenham College C C F
I was wondering if any body knows which is the other school/college
Asked the gent conducting the service after it had finished why the flag ,he said he thought it was due to the number of war dead ??? -I am not sure if this true/correct
In remembrance last year at Clifton college[ 2 grandsons pupils ] they read out the names of the war dead over 400 pupils/ex pupils So can only assume if what I was told was correct Cheltenham College must have exceed this number
Most /nearly all would have been officers
Old 12-11-22, 06:33 AM

Default CCF units with Queen's Colours

Army Dress Regs part 14 Regulations covering Standards, Guidons, Colours and Banners of the British Army lists two CCF units with Queen's Colours:

- the Duke of York’s Royal Military School Dover,
- Queen Victoria School Dunblane.

The copy I found was dated August 2013 so possibly more have been approved since then including Cheltenham.

Suppliers like Cadet Direct will make this type of thing to order so that may be the case here and it is semi-official. I know that Bancrofts School for sure have commissioned some colours and no doubt other units will have too.

Last edited by Expat Yeoman; 12-11-22 at 06:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-22, 06:38 AM

Default Cheltenham College

The following states that 6,000 Old Cheltonians have served of which 675 fell in WW1 and 363 in WW2.

https://www.ukboardingschools.com/ne...retum-service/

Another interesting piece within, Cheltenham College are the only school to have a memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum.
Old 12-11-22, 09:34 AM

Default National Memorial Arboretum

Not quite true. As a former pupil of The Dukies (Duke of York's Royal Military School in Dover), the school also has a memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Yeoman View Post
The following states that 6,000 Old Cheltonians have served of which 675 fell in WW1 and 363 in WW2.

https://www.ukboardingschools.com/ne...retum-service/

Another interesting piece within, Cheltenham College are the only school to have a memorial at the National Memorial Arboretum.
Old 12-11-22, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the correction. Perhaps their statement was correct at the time of writing.

From a quick look at the current NMA website it appears there are now three for cadets, those two plus the Church Lads and Church Girls Brigade.
Old 12-11-22, 07:10 PM

Many thanks to all for taking the time to reply Next time a do a child pick up Iwill see if I can find out any more information The C C F drill/meeting is Wednesday afternoon