British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-05-12, 06:37 PM

Default Commando de France

Last month whilst in France I visited the Musee Memorial des Combats de la Poche de Colmar Hiver 44/45, situated in Turckheim, Alsace.

It is a gem of a WW2 museum, spoilt only by my ignorance of the French language rendering me incapable of reading the labels. That said, the museum holds a very comprehensive collection of ordnance, weapons, uniforms, medical equipment etc, relating to the US, French and German armies.

Amongst the cabinets were insignia relating to French Commando units serving with the French First Army- Bataillon du Choc. Whilst we see plenty of insignia on this forum relating to Allied soldiers fighting with 21 Army Group I've not seen these pieces before.

In viewing these [poor] photos please accept that their subject were behind glass which the lady looking after the museum could not open.

More info is welcome.
Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4932.jpg (36.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4919a.jpg (31.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4920a.jpg (58.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4921a.jpg (45.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4926.jpg (37.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4927.jpg (62.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 11-05-12, 07:45 PM
peter616

TRY here

peter

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/1er_bat...tistes_de_choc
Old 11-05-12, 08:02 PM

Thanks Peter,

I saw that page after coming home. Obviously other people aren't as ignorant on this subject as me.

Stephen.
Old 11-05-12, 08:10 PM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Thanks Peter,

I saw that page after coming home. Obviously other people aren't as ignorant on this subject as me.

Stephen.

Stephen
just sent you an email with more info have more if you want it

peter
Old 11-05-12, 08:51 PM

Get a French - English dictionary and work your way through this:

http://www.museedesparas.com/parachu..._de_France.htm

The website of the French Airborne at Pau. And if you can find backnumbers of Militaria magazine there is comprehensive coverage there - and some hardback books by the same publisher.
And from my own collection - French SAS in Germany early 1945. Unusual to see a Vickers MMG on a jeep. It's unfortunate that the badges on BD have to be guessed at.
French SAS Germany.jpg
Old 12-05-12, 08:21 AM

Mike,

An interesting site with good pages on the insignia. Unlike the museum, Google translated for me!

I've tried the dictionary approach on a Militaria magazine whilst in France last month. Sadly the verbs, and tenses etc leave me with only a rough grasp of what was being recorded.

Thanks, Stephen.
Old 13-11-12, 04:08 PM

Although months have past since this posting, the images remain a superb reference - Thanks again for this posting covering some intriguing units -
A real shame that I only have 'Militaria' Magazine articles in French. The illustrations are excellent though!
Regards Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 13-11-12 at 05:38 PM.
Old 13-11-12, 04:48 PM

It's worth bearing in mind that hitherto unseen images of British troops sometimes appear from French military archives. One - of Lt Col Peter Young CO 3 Cdo - featured in an article in Militaria on French Commandos training in Tunisia in 1943 with 3 Cdo in support:
Peter Young 17 Dec 43 Tunisia.jpg
Old 13-11-12, 05:41 PM

Totally agree Mike - the illustrations in Militaria Magazine transcend any language difficulties. A picture can in deed paint a thousand words - Regards Mike
Old 02-01-13, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Get a French - English dictionary and work your way through this:

http://www.museedesparas.com/parachu..._de_France.htm

The website of the French Airborne at Pau. And if you can find backnumbers of Militaria magazine there is comprehensive coverage there - and some hardback books by the same publisher.
And from my own collection - French SAS in Germany early 1945. Unusual to see a Vickers MMG on a jeep. It's unfortunate that the badges on BD have to be guessed at.
Attachment 63492
That doesn't appear to be a Vickers MG; it appears to be a Russian 1910 Maxim. The breech casing is deeper, reflecting the original Maxim design of the lock, and the ejection tube below the waterjacket is of that type.

The Germans used significant quantities of captured weapons so I expect it was sourced in the same way as the MG34 being used on the front of the jeep.

Regards

Richard
Old 02-01-13, 06:06 PM

Richard,
Thanks. That's very useful additional detail - I'll amend the caption.
Mike