British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-05-10, 10:10 PM

Default 1st Armoured Motor Battery

Good Evening all,

I have spotted this on evilbay, but I am not sure about it. Can I get your thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SILVER-1ST-ARM...item53e14dd819
Old 17-05-10, 11:11 PM
Former Member

"SILVER" mark and halmarks(??)... one I'd steer well clear of!

Andy
Old 17-05-10, 11:31 PM

This is one i got from auction 7 or 8 years ago. Cost me just over £100 for an other ranks, not sure if an officers version actually exists? Compare the level of detail of the obvious cast compared with the real thing. Not really apparant until you put them side by side.
Cheers, Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMB0001.jpg (22.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg AMB0002.jpg (97.5 KB, 139 views)
Old 18-05-10, 06:01 AM

I also have an other ranks version of the badge which looks exactly the same as deejayuu's example. The ebay offering doesnt really come up to scratch when you make a comparison. For instance , the rivets on the side of the armoured car are missing on the 'silver 'version, and the back of the badge is very crudely finished. Not really up to that standards expected by an officer and a gentleman. When you see an extremely rare badge that you have been lusting after for a long time, one can easily develop 'halo vision' and ignore all the obvious imperfections.
Keep looking and better luck next time.
Mike
Old 18-05-10, 09:30 AM

Default 1st Armoured Motor Battery

Hi bigpiers

I agree with Andy, this is definitely one to leave alone.
I have put up what I believe to be a genuine 1AMB badge. (By way of provenance it was approved by Hugh King when I bought it from another dealer at the Aldershot Medal and Militaria Fair in 1968)

Look at the reverse. It has lugs and "J&CO" on the side of the Armoured car.

"Silver" marks accompanied by illegible hallmarks are very unusual as Andy states; do other members have examples of this on other badges?

Incidentally, and this may not amuse those members with 1AMB badges with sliders, recent research suggests that the 1AMB badge was only ever worn as a collar badge and that the officers and soldiers continued to wear their ASC (drivers) RA (motor cyclists) and MGC/MMG cap badges.

So if there is any photographic proof to the contrary, and I suspect it will be difficult to find, it would be a significant contribution.

Best wishes

Gordon

Last edited by 1stTankie; 18-05-10 at 10:24 AM.
Old 18-05-10, 11:48 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer any opinion on the validity of these badges but purely from an engineering point of view, I would expect a slider ( should it have one ! ), to be attached to the crown, far less stress, particularly on the body ??

I know some badges do have the sliders fitted in the centre of the badge but the logic of doing that goes straight over my shoulder ??

Regards.

Dave.
Old 18-05-10, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
I'm not knowledgeable enough to offer any opinion on the validity of these badges but purely from an engineering point of view, I would expect a slider ( should it have one ! ), to be attached to the crown, far less stress, particularly on the body ??

I know some badges do have the sliders fitted in the centre of the badge but the logic of doing that goes straight over my shoulder ??

Regards.

Dave.
Dave
I think in the case of this badge the joint between the crown and wreath would be a very weak point if the shank was attached to the crown and reinforcing bar would be required.
Old 18-05-10, 02:08 PM
Former Member

As already mentioned by Dave and often not considered by the fakers, the badge with a slider in this position would not stand up to use! Very similar to the 1st Pattern RAC badge and would if worn as a cap, surely of had the slider fitted in a similar manner (to rear of crown, sometimes with strengthening)!

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 16-11-14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 18-05-10, 02:33 PM

Thanks for all the comments.

The quality and finish of the "silver" and the fuzzy stamps were what caused greatest concern to my mind. I'd expect the silver to look tarnished, not look like a poor quality alloy!!

I'm steering well clear.
Old 09-09-15, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the info 1stTankie. To add to the intrigue I have an exact replica of your badge back stamped J & Co but with a hinged back pin mechanism. I purchased it from desecndants of a ww1 veteran along with three other WW1 Tank Corps badges and a miniature articulated touchwood silver lucky thumsup doll. I wouldn't question its proveance. However a detail peculiar to this badge as opposed to the others in the collection is its brighteness - it doesn't seem to have tarnished with age, almost suggesting its gold plated. The back is equally bright, although not gold.

This is my first post so I've yet to acquaint myself with the picture posting technique, but directly I've conquered that aspect I'll attempt to post a picture for reference.

Kind regards. Terram.
Old 12-09-15, 05:52 PM

Red face

I've taken some pics to add, as promised but am unsure of the process - feel a bit of a clown this being a learning curve for me..... so if a moderator can assist I'd appreciate guidance. Thankyou.
Old 13-09-15, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terram View Post
I've taken some pics to add, as promised but am unsure of the process - feel a bit of a clown this being a learning curve for me..... so if a moderator can assist I'd appreciate guidance. Thankyou.
Hi terram, no problem, have a look at this thread for picture uploading info:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=12568 (last post on that thread in particular if you are uploading images from your computer)

If necessary please feel free to create a test thread in the off topic area if you want to test things out, we can delete it later when you've got the hang of things.
Old 09-09-23, 06:32 PM

Deleted - moved to new thread.

Last edited by CAM; 10-09-23 at 08:25 AM.