British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-13, 08:58 PM

Default Gurkhas attached to PWRR

Hi all, I know that in the past, companies from the Royal Gurkha Rifles have been attached to the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment. I know that they wore the Infantry khaki beret with the RGR cap badge, but what backing did they wear with it, the tartan patch or the PWRR blue & yellow patch?

Additionally I know RGR companies have been attached to other Infantry Regiments but can anyone tell me which ones and what headdress they wear?

Anyone have any images of Gurkhas wearing other Infantry Regimental head dress?

Tony
Old 24-11-13, 09:19 PM

Heres an image of the late Lance Corporal Gajbahadur Gurung who was attached to the 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment who was killed in Afganistan.

From which I would guess the PWRR backing was worn?

There has been a Gurkha Company attached to the Parachute Regiment wear the Maroon Beret, and the Royal Regiment of Scotland wearing what I do not know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gajbahadur Gurung.jpg (10.0 KB, 50 views)

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 24-11-13, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Heres an image of the late Lance Corporal Gajbahadur Gurung who was attached to the 1st Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment who was killed in Afganistan.

From which I would guess the PWRR backing was worn?

There has been a Gurkha Company attached to the Parachute Regiment wear the Maroon Beret, and the Royal Regiment of Scotland wearing what I do not know?
Hi, thanks for that. What the Gurkhas attached to the Royal Regt of Scotland would wear is of great interest to me? I have seen photo's of Gurkhas attached to the Para's wearing the maroon beret with the RGR cap badge and the same but with the tartan patch behind! I have also seen pictures of a Gurkha wearing the rifle green beret and RGR cap badge and Pegasus patches on his combat smock? as well as a Gurkha with a 7th Gurkha Rifles cap badge on a maroon beret?

Anyone able to explain any of this?

Tony
Old 25-11-13, 08:44 AM

In the 90's there were 3 Gurkha reinforcement companies. One PWRR , one PARA and the other Royal Scots . The appropriate headgear was worn with a RGR cap badge.But I think the RS company wore green gurkha berets .

Last edited by Mike H; 25-11-13 at 08:18 PM.
Old 25-11-13, 10:29 PM

Hi Mike, So it was not Royal Regiment of Scotland but Royal Scots? my error, I was thinking of when 2RGR was transferred from 2 Infantry Brigade to 52 Infantry Brigade and not the regiment itself.

Wanted Poppy Pins