British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-11, 09:23 PM

Red face Entire collection of WW2 Canadian cap badges offered to me, 8th Reec etc

Hi all,

I was offered a very large and diverse collection yesterday with most of the WW2 Canadian badges and flashes aside from a few super expensive ones, and there are also quite a few rare unframed WW1/WW2 badges including the Jewish badge and the Canadian veterinary cap. I am still trying to decide to purchase the collection and what would be a reasonable price, as well as weed out the fakes which I am sure are lurking somewhere. There are duplicates of the Canadian paratrooper and armored carrier kangaroo badge.

I have more picture I will post later, there is also a near full set of the University Cap badges- for now please enjoy!

Old 19-12-11, 09:24 PM

Old 19-12-11, 09:50 PM

Default lots of post war

lots of post war cloth titles there,not WW2....Para badge and kangaroo are fakes.....8th Recce looks good...don't like the Jewish padre badge either....M
Old 19-12-11, 09:56 PM

Do some searches on the forum to see if any of the badges have already been discussed.
Take a look at various dealer sites and watch some items on eBay to get an idea of what the badges are going for.

I agree with Michael, the 1 CAPCR and 1 Can Para are fakes.

Take a good hard look at any of the scarcer cap badges to make sure thay are not Bondy Repros - discussed in the forum.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 19-12-11, 09:56 PM

Default titles

Now that I go over it ..most of the titles are post war..almost all...the kangaroo and 1 can para cloth look like repros aswell...need to see the backs.
Old 19-12-11, 09:59 PM

Quote:
lots of post war cloth titles there,not WW2....Para badge and kangaroo are fakes.....8th Recce looks good...don't like the Jewish padre badge either
That's really, really good to know, many thanks - I knew there were fakes but not sure which ones, the kangaroo badge always scares me. Unfortunately the seller bought many of these online, at shows and from dealers all as originals so something must have happened. Here is a picture of the other kangaroo badge and the back of the Jewish badge, another fake?

What really worries me is that this is only 1/5 of the collection, if there are many fakes here what will the rest be like?

Old 19-12-11, 09:59 PM

Middlesex and Huron and Man Mounted Rifles are the best badges along with the 8 recce and RCAVC..
Old 19-12-11, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Do some searches on the forum to see if any of the badges have already been discussed.
Will do, thanks!

Here are some more of the badges... I think now that its going to be a bizzare mix of good originals, fakes and everything else, there was German items in the collection that I haven't researched yet, and those are really heavily faked.

Old 19-12-11, 10:09 PM

Default CLOTH.

..8 Recce,winnipeg gren,Midland,royal regt,brockville r,westminster r,lake sups,Dufferin Haldimand,2/10th drag, essex scots.South Sask,pa vols,NB Rangers, pwr,pei high,CDC, St Jon Fus,Irish Fus,South Alta, AND Algonquin regt all appear to be wartime issues....again hard to tell without them in my hand, the rest are probably post war types and have very limited value....there may be a few others that may be WW2 but I'd needto look at them closely. that Jewish Chaplain type shows up alot especially in the last 25 years...I don't touch any of them,,,both Kangaroos are bad as arethe para badges.
Old 19-12-11, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Jewish Chaplain smells.
As Mike says, the cloth is mostly post war. I don't like the 1 Can Para Bn title. The Linc & Winks title is for the DEU.
The crude screw post fastener on the PEI LH considerably reduces the value.
The CAFVTC cap badge is a nice badge, getting harder to find.
Old 19-12-11, 10:50 PM

Default Kangaroo cloth

The 1CACR melton title is a 1980's fake too. (easy way to tell, long middle bars in the E's of Carrier and Regt and the thread join from the G to the T in Regt)
Old 19-12-11, 11:03 PM

My picks for the best of the lot are the Manitoba Mounted Rifles and Manitoba Volunteer Reserve (by far the best for value next to the 8th Recce). A few other badges which are nice: NB Tanks, Le Regiment de Quebec, Le Regiment de Levis, Irish Fusiliers (Vancouver Reg.) and Sudbury & Sault Ste. Marie. If the Christian Chaplain Corps is Scully marked, it's Canadian. If not, o well, and depending on the thickness, it could also be a repro.

Oops: just noticed the Middlesex & Huron -- that's a nice badge too.

If you do pick these up & want to divest yourself of some, dibs on that extra Regiment de Levis cap badge.
Old 19-12-11, 11:19 PM

The badge for The RCR shown in the third frame is also not Second World War. It appears to be a later variant of the 1894 Guelphic crown pattern badge, which was replaced in 1926/27 with the narrow based Imperial crown badge.
Old 19-12-11, 11:35 PM

BTW: the Lake Superior Regiment looks like it is missing its w.m. overlay.
Old 19-12-11, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Two more that need a closer examination. The 83rd Joliette, and the ALI Tank are known to be reproduced.