British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-08, 07:55 PM

Default Fort Garry Horse

This example belongs to the FGH Museum;

Old 27-04-08, 08:11 PM

Default Ist Hussars FSC Officers bullion cap badge

.........1st Hussars on FSC...
Old 28-04-08, 10:46 PM

.........& a couple more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bular.jpg (90.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg bulqor.jpg (80.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg bulrmr.jpg (59.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 29-04-08, 01:15 AM

I've heard collectors say that some officers of armoured regiments liked embroidered badges as thay didn't snag on all the machinery inside the tank. Any tankers can comment on this thought.

Likewise, airborne officers liked the embroidered badges for the same reason. I have a embroidered QOR, with a maroon backing which mimics the officers badge of the Canadian Airborne Regiment officers badge.

I guess both reasons may have a shred of truth.

Greg

Last edited by GregN; 03-03-10 at 04:29 AM.
Old 29-04-08, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
I've heard collectors say that some officers of armoured regiments liked embroidered badges as thay didn't snag on all the machinery inside the tank. Any zipper heads to comment on this thought.

Likewise, airborne officers liked the embroidered badges for the same reason. I have a embroidered QOR, with a maroon backing which mimics the officers badge of the Canadian Airborne Regiment officers badge.

I guess both reasons may have a shred of truth.

Greg
Have heard similar stories over the years as well, but have never been able to get proof of this. I tend to think it is more of an old wives tale, and the real reason is that some just preferred emboidered badges. Besides, I dont think the idea of avoiding snags really holds up. If one of these thick wire jobs caught on something, it would likely damage the badge beyond repair.
Expensive to say the least.

CB
Old 30-04-08, 02:05 AM

I wonder as well CB it they are old wives tales but I think the concern re metal badges was that the lugs might get driven into the foreheads of the soldiers.

I've seen plenty of war-time pictures of Armoured guys wearing berets with metal badges, so the fashion was just that a fashion of officers or the CO of the regiment.

Greg
Old 02-05-08, 07:51 AM

hi guys
here are some british items
BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5178.jpg (92.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-05-08, 05:51 AM

And a couple more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bulplf.jpg (93.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg bulrccs.jpg (84.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-05-08, 08:08 PM

Default Embroidered cap badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
I've heard collectors say that some officers of armoured regiments liked embroidered badges as they didn't snag on all the machinery inside the tank. Any zipper heads to comment on this thought.
Greg
If I hear the term "zipperhead" applied again to armored corps soldiers in general, it will be a thousand times too often. The term applies only to members of LdSH(RC) and was only coined in 1965. Other armoured soldiers are not, repeat NOT, zipperheads. The story of how the name was acquired will have to wait for another time.
As a retired zipperhead, I will comment on the joys of having a lugged badge on the beret. When looking through a persiscope - and this applied to all members of the crew (driver, co-driver, gunner, loader/operator and crew commander) - as the tank was moving cross country, one would often bang one's head on the optical device and drive the lugs into the forehead. Very painful experience and very difficult to conceptualize for people with no tank time - e.g. our Mr Nehring. Most of the crew either removed berets or pushed them to the back of the head to prevent forehead punctures. Officers were more likely to wear embroidered badges because they were more visible outside the turrets of tanks, and thus needed to be seen as being more "pukkha" and because they were authorized to do so, while ORs were not.
That said, I wore an embroidered FGH badge while a member of that regiment, but I have never seen an embroidered LdSH(RC) badge. I also have in my collection an embroidered badge of The Calgary Regiment (Tank).
Wyn
Old 09-05-08, 05:39 PM

I have a Royal Canadian Corps of Signals embroidered capbadge.
I spoke to two veterans who served as Battalion Signals officers in Korea to get the story.
The badges were privately made in Japan and worn on the beret by battalion signals officers in Korea. A picture appeared in THE MAPLE LEAF showing one of the veterans wearing this badge.
I will post an image later.
Old 27-05-08, 02:25 AM

Here is a Royal Hamilton Light Infantry officers badge. My dad wore this in the 70s.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rhli1.jpg (66.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 27-05-08, 10:14 AM

Default Chaplain Corps collars

QC Collars from a RCAChC Brigadier's mess dress. Chaplain's collars were embroidered in silver wire rather than the usual gold wire Brigadier and Colonel collars.
Old 27-05-08, 10:20 AM

Default Canadian Provost Corps

QC C Pro C mess dress collars.

Mess dress collars in wear. Note the blue scroll variation.

Embroidered KC C Pro C cap badge on a Field Officer's SD Cap.
Worn by Maj. Quirk early 1950s.
Old 27-05-08, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

John, Clarification please. The Chaplain's Corps used silver on the bullion badges instead of gold bullion? That was a Chaplain Corps dress distinction?
Old 28-05-08, 01:15 AM

Bill, the illustrated collars were taken off a RCAChC Colonel's mess dress. They struck me as odd, as the only collars like that I had previously seen were in gold. I checked my copy of the 1953 Dress Regs and under the listing for ChC Brigadiers And Colonels the text was Royal Crest 1 1/4" by 3/4" in silver. It is difficult to make out as it's a photocopy and there are layers of ammendments. The same section lists the cap badge as being the Royal Crest in gold embroidery on a black backing for Chaplains, all others were gold emboidery on dark blue. But all the ones I've ever had were on black. Later ammendments maybe? Maybe a Chaplain expert can confirm, I only live for meathead stuff.