British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-17, 11:20 PM

Cool BBC2's SAS programme

I sat and watched the BBC2's SAS programme tonight which was very interesting and well made, with a good mention as to the part the LRDG played in their early success, however, I do wish they could have found an original LRDG cap badge to show instead of the poor copy which featured.

Why do TV documentary makers always fall down with insignia?

Rob
Old 07-02-17, 08:26 AM

I watched it too. Very good. Ben Macintyre is an excellent historical documentary maker/presenter and his books are a good read too. As to the question of insignia, a). Probably to the producers a badge is a badge is a badge, and is a representation only, and b). To 99% of those watching they wouldn't know the difference anyway.
Old 07-02-17, 11:42 AM

Smile The men who made the SAS

I have just finished reading Gavin Mortimer's excellent book "The men who made the SAS" which is the history of the LRDG, some excellent photographs along with many first hand accounts of their contribution to the British success in the Western Desert.

Recommended reading with some insight into the origins of their badge.

Rob
Old 07-02-17, 01:01 PM

Enjoyed the programme, just got weary with the playacting... and the unattributed (as if they were trying to pass them off as real) clips from "Sea of Sand". Gavin Mortimer was credited at the end.
Old 10-02-17, 10:10 AM

Location: I live in New Brighton on the Wirral, in the north West of England.

Yes a very enjoyable show. I was particulalry interested in my fellow Welsh Guardsman Jock Lewes and his contribution to the training. As far as badges go you would think with the level of access he has had, they would have come up with genuine badges.
As for re enactments, this is always a problem. TV is a visual medium so they have to show something and they did have a lot of original footage. On balance I think what they did show wasnt to bad and did give a feel for the tension involved in these operations.