British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-15, 12:29 AM

Default Sir John Moreton Insignia

Hi everyone,

I recently inherited some brass buttons and rank pips from my late Great Uncle, Sir John Oscar Moreton, KCMG KCVO MC. I'm planning to make a tribute to him to put up in our bedroom (he was a pretty great guy, his story can be found here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...e-8269759.html).

I'm trying to find out any information I can about his regiment, insignia, patches or other items I could find to add to this tribute and I'm hoping this is the right place to be asking…

The information I have is that he was with the 99th (Royal Bucks Yeomanry) Field Regiment, Royal Artillery during WWII. Following the history of the unit as much as I can, this regiment was attached to the 2nd Division following the Dunkirk evacuation, and sent out to the Far East. He was involved in the battle of Kohima which is referenced in the article posted above.

Here are the items that I have:

As you can see I've got what looks like 3 pips of the same size and one that looks slightly smaller (on the left). I have 6 of each of the smaller brass buttons (left), 6 of the medium sized ones (middle) and 4 of the largest size (right). The other items are all I have of those.

If anyone could give me how these may have been arranged or what they all signified that would be great. He's referenced as a captain, but I just wanted to confirm that. Also if anyone could give me any more information regarding the insignia and patches of the regiment he served under, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your interest. Looking forward to any replies.

Thanks,

Nat
Old 07-12-15, 06:29 AM

Default 99 Fd Regt RA

If you would send me a PM with your email address I will share with you the notes I made on 99 Fd Regt RA when writing an article for publication in a French magazine. Mike
Old 07-12-15, 10:13 AM

Default Thanks!

Thank you so much! PM sent.

Tags
2nd division, john moreton, royal artillery, royal bucks yeomanry, wwii