British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-15, 07:01 PM

Question "4's"

I bought this pair of navy diamonds with a red "4", these came with the other cloth items which I think are Japanese, any help in identifying these would be appreciated.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010035.jpg (34.3 KB, 114 views)
Old 12-04-15, 01:26 AM

Might they be arm badges from one of the RA (Territorial) regiments during WW1/WW2?
Old 12-04-15, 04:26 AM

Default Japanese Badges

Hi Rob

I think 1, 2 & 3 are Japanese Army collar rank tabs, probably from WW2.

They are probably:

1 - Warrant Officer
2 - Private 2nd Class
3 - Sergeant Major

The "4" patches look like RA to me also but I'm sure someone will be able to positively ID those.

David

Forgot to mention - 5 & 6 may also be Japanese Army, same period as the above. They could be the rank chevrons worn (inverted) on the upper arm by various grades of privates, not entirely sure about this though.

Last edited by davidwyke; 12-04-15 at 04:36 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-04-15, 11:38 AM

Cool Japanese insignia

David,

Many thanks for your answers to my questions, sadly all the family members who probably could have answered them are now not with us, I have never collected Japanese badges as such, but I may do so now.

Rob
Old 12-04-15, 05:32 PM

Default Japanese nsignia

Pleased to help, Rob.

I don't collect Japanese insignia but I know a bit about them, but not much! If you do decide to collect them you will have plenty to look for, even just rank insignia. During WW2 the Japanese army had a very extensive rank structure, probably close on 20 individual ranks. They all wore collar tabs and some also wore arm badges. Those you have shown are the first ones I've seen for ages.

David
Old 12-04-15, 06:29 PM

Default Japanese badges

David,

For some strange reason Japanese badges and other militaria items were not avidly collected it seems.

Rob
Old 12-04-15, 11:22 PM

The 4 looks like the 33 Field Regt. as worn until March 1940 when it was changed.

John
Old 27-04-15, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
David,

For some strange reason Japanese badges and other militaria items were not avidly collected it seems.

Rob
Perhaps not in Commonwealth countries but here in the States, Japanese would rank second only to German. The only thing British that causes interest is any Lee-Enfield in working condition. Anything American comes dirt cheap because so much of it was/is produced. I can drive to the nearest thrift store and buy Full Dress US Marine Corps Blues for $20 - 30.
Old 27-04-15, 09:12 PM

Default Japanese insignia

Dave, this is interesting that Japanese badges and other militaria come second only to Nazi German in the States, while at fairs here we see plenty of Third Reich items, Japanese are a rarity apart from edged weapons.

Living in East Anglia which had numerous men serving with the British 18th Division at Singapore and were captured you would expect there to be more items of Japanese militaria collected as souvenirs.

I do not know of anyone who collects Japanese badges, maybe I will start . . !

Rob