British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-04-19, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR142 View Post
IMAGES USED ARE FROM THE BRITTON'S BADGES WEB SITE !
We dont mind images being used for informative threads and references in threads but would like to be asked 1st and a credit for them would be good cheers steve
I apologize, Steve. I should have asked you permission first.
Old 10-04-19, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
I apologize, Steve. I should have asked you permission first.
Hi Pierre
apology accepted we dont mind pics being used for informative threads etc and are happy they get used and we can send you the original pics to your email for use etc so you can enlarge them crop etc as required Steve

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !
Old 11-04-19, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Hi Pierre
apology accepted we dont mind pics being used for informative threads etc and are happy they get used and we can send you the original pics to your email for use etc so you can enlarge them crop etc as required Steve
Steve - Great to see this flexibility
Good to see a pragmatic approach to helping one another
Mike
Old 11-04-19, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Steve - Great to see this flexibility
Good to see a pragmatic approach to helping one another
Mike
Hi Mike and chaps
Its always good to share knowledge around by doing threads , articles and posts after all the forum is what we members make it and whats the point of being the only one who knows a fact or a peace of history then when we failed to pass this information on pass on its lost its why I do a few talks etc a year in schools and show items in some of the local schools to pass on what i have learnt from those ho went before me !! steve

MINE
Old 11-04-19, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Hi Pierre
Thanks Steve. I appreciate your message.

Any particular view on the topic of this thread? Ken Joyce confirms that two types of weaves were used in WW2 for printed shoulder titles (coarse vs satin material). It seems a bit similar with the Pegasus but the fabric used for the printed titles was much more stiff, like twill material.
Old 11-04-19, 05:01 PM

Quote:
IMAGES USED ARE FROM THE BRITTON'S BADGES WEB SITE !
We dont mind images being used for informative threads and references in threads but would like to be asked 1st and a credit for them would be good cheers steve
"We"??

I think you mean Julie won't mind.
Old 11-04-19, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Hi Mike and chaps
Its always good to share knowledge around by doing threads , articles and posts after all the forum is what we members make it and whats the point of being the only one who knows a fact or a peace of history then when we failed to pass this information on pass on its lost its why I do a few talks etc a year in schools and show items in some of the local schools to pass on what i have learnt from those ho went before me !! steve
Steve,

Have you personally had much demand for talks on military insignia from schools (are we talking primary or secondary schools)?

I’d imagine you’d have to be DBS/CRB-checked for that, would you?

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 11-04-19 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-04-19, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Steve,

Have you personally had much demand for talks on military insignia from schools (are we talking primary or secondary schools)?

I’d imagine you’d have to be DBS/CRB-checked for that, would you?

JT
Hi JT
you do have to have checks done , I do WWII and WWI talks which cover the remembrance day and WWII in general with a good display of safe items for them to handle , wear and examine uniforms , helmets and over bits of kit as well as home front items ie ration books , leaflets , pictures of damaged areas etc all designed to get there imaginations on fire . steve

MINE
Old 12-04-19, 12:05 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
"We"??

I think you mean Julie won't mind.
Yep!! know get that thumb off my head !!

MINE
Old 05-04-20, 09:26 PM

Default Shoulder Titles coarse vs Fine Weave

I have resurrected this thread by offering more details about cotton material used for the printed shoulder titles with a focus on parachute regiment.

By June 1943, the War Office decided to move to printed cotton shoulder titles for equipping the entire British Army (ACI 905). It has been said that this move was motivated by Ministry of Supply concerns regarding possible shortage of cloth supplies. The reality might have been different and this interesting story is very well documented by Jon here under post #17 https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...wbeaten&page=2

The 6th Airborne Division which was still under formation was ordered to complete the change from embroidered to printed badges by December 1943, but we can assume the new printed para titles were issued first in the summer of 1943.

The Central Ordnance Depot commissioned the Calico Printers Association for manufacturing the new titles for the entire army. Calico had already been producing numerous formation patches like the Pegasus and the airborne strip from late 1942 so it was a logical choice.

It looks like the Calico printers used Cotton Drill first. The drill or twill weave is characterized by a pattern of diagonal lines. The same type of fabric was being used in the manufacturing of the first Pegasus patches a year ago (drill #2 cotton).

As documented by Ken Joyce, printing issues were soon encountered on coarse weave material with the detailing being not sharp enough. This can be illustrated in the first photo of an unissued para title which could have been rejected at the time (Unissued Coarse Weave Details).

For these reasons, a finer weave material started to be used in the manufacturing process which is referred to the satin drill. This move allowed a much better quality of printing (see 2nd photo Para Title Coarse vs Satin).
Some units probably because of the level of details required had their shoulder titles directly printed on satin drill. This is the case for the Canadian Parachute Battalion which had its first batch of printed titles manufactured on satin drill and delivered in May 1944.

It is possible that both quality of cotton weave continued to be used for printed titles but I doubt it. The printed issues encountered couldn’t be overcome. This wasn’t the case for the Pegasus where both types were made until the end of the war.

As usual, thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unissued Coarse Weave Details.jpg (89.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Para Title Coarse vs Satin.jpg (67.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-04-20, 05:54 PM

Good context thank you - research is king in all this
Old 06-04-20, 09:22 PM

Question Opinions on this printed title

I have had this printed title for some years, it came with a small collection and has never graced my airborne board. The Fount used is different from others I have seen, however I am not sure if that is valid.

Opinions welcomed, thanks in advance

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020684.jpg (50.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1020685.jpg (79.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg P1020686.jpg (76.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-04-20, 01:33 AM

You're welcome, Mike.

Rob, I'm afraid your title is totally spurious.
Old 07-04-20, 09:36 AM

Default Printed title

Exactly the answer I was expecting, but it does show the difference between that and a good one.

Thanks Rob
Old 02-12-22, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
I have resurrected this thread by offering more details about cotton material used for the printed shoulder titles with a focus on parachute regiment.

By June 1943, the War Office decided to move to printed cotton shoulder titles for equipping the entire British Army (ACI 905). It has been said that this move was motivated by Ministry of Supply concerns regarding possible shortage of cloth supplies. The reality might have been different and this interesting story is very well documented by Jon here under post #17 https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...wbeaten&page=2

The 6th Airborne Division which was still under formation was ordered to complete the change from embroidered to printed badges by December 1943, but we can assume the new printed para titles were issued first in the summer of 1943.

The Central Ordnance Depot commissioned the Calico Printers Association for manufacturing the new titles for the entire army. Calico had already been producing numerous formation patches like the Pegasus and the airborne strip from late 1942 so it was a logical choice.

It looks like the Calico printers used Cotton Drill first. The drill or twill weave is characterized by a pattern of diagonal lines. The same type of fabric was being used in the manufacturing of the first Pegasus patches a year ago (drill #2 cotton).

As documented by Ken Joyce, printing issues were soon encountered on coarse weave material with the detailing being not sharp enough. This can be illustrated in the first photo of an unissued para title which could have been rejected at the time (Unissued Coarse Weave Details).

For these reasons, a finer weave material started to be used in the manufacturing process which is referred to the satin drill. This move allowed a much better quality of printing (see 2nd photo Para Title Coarse vs Satin).
Some units probably because of the level of details required had their shoulder titles directly printed on satin drill. This is the case for the Canadian Parachute Battalion which had its first batch of printed titles manufactured on satin drill and delivered in May 1944.

It is possible that both quality of cotton weave continued to be used for printed titles but I doubt it. The printed issues encountered couldn’t be overcome. This wasn’t the case for the Pegasus where both types were made until the end of the war.

As usual, thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.
Thanks Tcrown, very interesting researches again.