British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Infantry and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-02-15, 03:04 PM

Default Australian Combat Award

Looking for some help, Gents.

Got this in trade a while ago. My Internet research indicates that the original badge as issued by the government has been copied in the past. Also, that it was originally issued for combat service in VN. Unfortunately, I can find no info on how to tell the original from the copy (maker's mark, etc.)

Can any kind soul take a look at my pics and tell me any more info about this particular badge? Whether it's original or a copy. Also, is it being issued for combat service in places like Afghanistan?

Any info much appreciated

Ian B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AusCbtbadge frt.jpg (67.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg AusCbtbadge bck.jpg (61.6 KB, 23 views)
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 24-02-15, 06:35 PM

http://www.army.gov.au/~/media/Files...e/AP097_05.pdf

http://www.army.gov.au/Our-work/Equi...y-Dress-Manual
Old 24-02-15, 11:15 PM

Thanks DDD. The links provided some good info. Doesn't help with the authenticity question though. Is my badge official issue, or is it a "copy"? And is there a difference between the A(Army?)CB and the ICB, design-wise?

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 24-02-15, 11:53 PM

I can't help with the authenticity, but it looks like all the ones I have seen, which isn't many.
the ACB is similar but 2 crossed swords.
http://www.army.gov.au/Army-life/Hon...y-Combat-Badge
Old 25-02-15, 01:57 PM

Thanks for that link too. I think I get it now...ICB (laurel wreath with bayonet) for the Infantry types and ACB (wreath with crossed swords) for Other Arms and Services.

Much appreciated. Cheers,

Ian
Old 26-02-15, 01:17 AM

hi ian
there are some variations in the manufacture of these badges however yours looks ok. there are copies of these badges and its almost impossible to tell the difference
bc
Old 26-02-15, 01:32 PM

Thanks bc. I received the badge years ago in a trade. It doesn't fall into my area interest, so sits in my sales tray when I go off to badge shows. Just wanted to know, so I can be up front with potential buyers. I'll tell them it might be official, might be a copy and adjust my price accordingly.

Thanks everyone for you help. Stay safe and have fun!

Cheers,

Ian
Old 03-03-15, 10:55 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Thumbs up

G'day Ian

I will ask one of my Vietnam vets at the local military museum if he will bring his in so I can look at it, measure and photo it. I will let you know in due course.

Regards

Phil.