British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Infantry and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-01-15, 05:05 PM

Default The Western Australian Highlanders: question

When The Western Australian Highlanders were formed they were given unqualified permission to copy the British Cameron Highland Regiment uniform for wear as their own.

According to Cossum they also adopted and wore the British Cameron's hat badge. In his book, "Australian Army badges Pt2", for The Western Australian Highlanders he says,"Hat badge is the same as the British Cameron Highlanders" and he goes on to illustrate both an un-bannered badge (whitemetal and nickel plated brass) and a bannered badge (whitemetal), both of which, to my untrained eye, appear to be regular British badges.

Over the last several months there have been at least two badges, by different vendors (?), listed on eBay as "Western Australian Highlander" hat badges. When queried as to what there was about these badges that made them WAH badges rather than ordinary British Cameron badges neither seller appeared to be able to offer any provenance or reason for them being so described other than that it seemed "they just knew that was what they were." I chose not to bid on them and I don't think either badge sold.

Now, though I have always placed a lot of faith in my Cossum's books, I understand, from a previous thread on the BCMBF, that his books are outdated and have errors in them.

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if this is the case with the descriptions of The Western Australian Highlanders hat badge. Is their hat badge the standard hat badge (in the two mentioned variations) of the British Cameron's badge or is there some way to tell them apart. If so, what is the secret?

I Man
Old 09-01-15, 09:47 PM

hi donny
firstly, Cossums books are the best reference available for Australian badges. there is nothing that comes close to them. cossum has always admitted there were errors and items left out. this is why its taken him nearly 10yrs to publish his pre fed book. determined to get it as right as possible.
they are also in my opinion in the high 90s% correct. (he does plan to update them once the pre fed book is published)

as for the badges you mention, the only way of telling the difference I believe is if its maker marked. they are very rare but I have seen examples marked by stokes. you would have to expect these to be the Australian version and not British issue. how often does anyone look closely on the back of a Cameron's or a Gordon's etc. I have a Mt Gambier Scottish badge that came from the family with many other items. I believe its the badge he wore however it is not maker marked and for all intense purposes the same as the British issue.
hope that of some help
bc
Old 09-01-15, 10:13 PM

Here are some I have. All from an old collection. The top centre is unmarked as discussed so no way of verifying that it is Australian other than its provenance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a 001.jpg (56.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg a 004.jpg (67.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg a 005.jpg (77.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-01-15, 11:11 PM

Default Australian Argyll & Sutherland badge

A related issue: years ago I got a standard British pattern A & S hat badge from a former sergeant of the Byron Scottish. He told me that he wore the badge in 1947 or 49 before the new distinctive Australian Byron Scottish badge was produced. That is provenance! I will attach a scan if anyone would like to see it but as I said, a standard UK badge.
Old 10-01-15, 03:00 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys. All comments appreciated.

I have no issues with Cossum's books. I have a lot of faith in them and would certainly argue that they are the best reference for Australian badges available. I use mine regularly and, so far as I know, they have never let me down. My worry was that their inadequacies were pointed out in an earlier thread.

BC, your reference to Australian maker marked British Cameron Highlander badges being for use in Australia makes perfect sense and the "possible/probable user" provenance of both your Mt Gambier Scottish badge and Kingsley's (thanks for your response, Kingsley) Byron Scottish badge would certainly make them worth a punt. Had there been an Australian maker mark or some similar user history provenance on the badges which were posted on eBay, referred to in my first post, I would have hoped that the vendors would have said so in response to my queries rather than their non effect comments to the effect that "we just know that's what they are".

Unfortunately I have not handled enough British Cameron Highlander badges to have yet come across one of those Stokes marked badges. If anyone has one I should certainly appreciate seeing the mark if it could be scanned and posted.

Thanks for your response, Coast Watcher. What a great group of badges! The centre top on is one of the type attributed to The Western Australian Highlanders, but, as you say, apart from it having come from an old collection there is no way of telling if it is WAH or a regular British Cameron Highlanders. My own "gap fillers" are from old collections but I have very little faith that they were worn in Western Australia. You seem to have cornered the market on those Cameron Highlanders of W.A. badges.

Kingsley, why don't you go ahead and attach a scan of your A&S badge. I am sure there are members who who would like to see it and it would be a bit more action on the Australian section of the Forum.

Regards,

I Man
Old 13-01-15, 08:22 AM

Default A & S hat badge worn by Byron Scottish

Here is the scan as requested. There must have been a significant time lapse between the formation of the Byron Scottish and the order/manufacture/delivery of their distinctive badges.
What I have never been able to find out is whether the blank Camerons badge (i.e. without the scroll) was ever worn by the WA Highlanders? They certainly wore the later badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A&Sfront.jpg (55.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg A&Sback.jpg (57.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 16-01-15, 09:12 AM

Lovely badge, kingsley! Thanks for posting it. I trust others appreciate looking at it as well. It is nice to have the comfort of that probable provenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
What I have never been able to find out is whether the blank Camerons badge (i.e. without the scroll) was ever worn by the WA Highlanders? They certainly wore the later badge.

Yes! I have wondered about that badge without the scroll. I don't know the change over dates of the British badges but, and someone will tell if I am way out, I rather suspect that it must have been pretty close to 1903 when the Western Australian Highlanders were formed.

I found this www.awm.gov.au/collection/REL25104/?image=1

There is no maker's mark nor any reference to the badge without the scroll.

I Man