British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Infantry and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-11-13, 07:52 AM

Default A few nice and rare japan/korea patches

hi all
At an antique warehouse today. You know, one of those ones where there are numerous dealers selling overpriced junk with the occasional gem. Well I found a few gems. Was just walking out when I spied a box of what looked like common cloth patches all over priced. Decided to have a look and to my pleasant surprise found these items. And they kindly gave me a 50% discount as it was a slow day and was on closing time.
Faded and a little moth damaged, I have been looking for these patches for about 15 years and more than happy to pay $21 for them.
They are the 67th bullion (Iā€™m still looking for the cloth embroidered version)
The 27th bullion and a very faded all cloth embroidered (I already have the screen printed)
And the colour patch for the 66th and 67th Australian infantry battalion

3 RAR was initially formed on 20 October 1945 as the 67th Battalion. The Battalion was intended for occupation duties in Japan and was formed from volunteers from the 3rd, 6th, 7th and 11th Australian Divisions. The battalion was redesignated the 3rd Battalion of the Australian Regiment upon the Regiment's formation in November 1948. The 'Royal' prefix was appended in March 1949.
The 67th Battalion arrived in Japan as part of the Australian 34th Brigade in February 1946. As with the rest of the occupation force, the Battalion did not encounter any significant resistance or civil unrest. The Australian force in Japan was gradually downsized, with 3 RAR being the only Australian battalion left in the country at the outbreak of the Korean War.
Korea 1950ā€“1953
3 RAR was rapidly committed as Australia's main land force contribution to the United Nations forces in the Korean War. After a period of intensive training and reinforcement in Japan, the battalion arrived in South Korea in late September 1950. The battalion formed part of the 27th Commonwealth Brigade and took part in the United Nations offensive into North Korea and the subsequent retreat into South Korea following the Chinese offensive in the winter of 1950ā€“1951. In October 1950 the battalion distinguished itself at Chongju during UN northward advance to the Yalu River. Commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Charles Green, it attacked and captured a large North Korean defensive line in a combined arms operation with tanks and artillery. Green was later killed in action. It was one of three units to receive the Presidential Unit Citation (US) after the Battle of Kapyong 22ā€“25 April 1951.
3 RAR remained in Korea until the war ended in 1953.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.8 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by badgecollector; 07-11-13 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 12:21 PM

Very nice, those are some scarce patches.

Best
Jack
Old 07-11-13, 07:49 PM

thanks jack
i spoke to the antique dealer who said these came off a display of patches put together in the 1960s. when he bought them he removed them from the display but thinks there may be a few other items floating around. going back to see him sunday
bc
Old 07-11-13, 10:10 PM

Oustanding items from a very interesting period. It makes up a real "time capsule". There was also a factory made EonF variant on the 27 Inf Bde flash as well as many Korean and Japanese-made examples. This is a variant worn by 1 A&SH:
27 Inf Bde 1 AandSH.jpg
Old 07-11-13, 11:02 PM

Oh that is very nice Mike,

Jack
Old 10-11-13, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Oustanding items from a very interesting period. It makes up a real "time capsule". There was also a factory made EonF variant on the 27 Inf Bde flash as well as many Korean and Japanese-made examples. This is a variant worn by 1 A&SH:
Attachment 94692
thanks mike
thats really great stuff.
i have asked about a few colour patches that i believe are jap/korean made at this thread
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...043#post238043
cheers
bc
Old 10-11-13, 10:55 PM

very nice indeed
Old 09-12-13, 10:43 AM

Nice one. Here is mine.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=69571
Old 09-12-13, 10:44 AM

And my Aussie brassard. I love Korean War items and collect all I can se my album.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=69562
Old 09-12-13, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumua View Post
And my Aussie brassard. I love Korean War items and collect all I can se my album.

outstanding.
i love it. great item and a really nice album
bc
Old 09-12-13, 11:19 AM

Default Korean War insignia

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumua View Post

An excellent and really interesting album - the best Korean War collection I have ever seen. I have several of the British Olive Green brassards with titles and/or signs applied that I could image for you if interested.
Mike
Old 08-01-14, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
An excellent and really interesting album - the best Korean War collection I have ever seen. I have several of the British Olive Green brassards with titles and/or signs applied that I could image for you if interested.
Mike
Posted my new Greek items have a look.