British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-15, 12:23 AM

Default Canadian PJI wings

Hi there guys

The previous post on Canadian para qualification wings raises a few questions in my mind. What does the PJI badge look like? If the Para wings are worn on the left chest, where are the PJI wings worn?

In Australia, The PJI wings are worn on the left chest and the para qualification wings are worn on the arm - I think the British situation may also be the same.

Finally, are PJIs part of the RCAF like those in Britain are from the RAF? Then there is the situation of APJIs - do they exist in the Canadian Defence Force?

Regards

Doug
Old 03-09-15, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Doug, There was a series of trade badges worn in the 1950's-1960's that identified the "trade" of parachute jump instructor. These were in three grades and worn on the lower left sleeve. After 1963 PJI was deemed a temporary position and the "trade" badges were obsolete. Essentially only the parachute qualification wing denotes the PJI in the Canadian Forces. (Again, that book JUMP WINGS has all the answers.)
Old 03-09-15, 02:56 PM

Default Jump Wings

Why spend $39.95 on a book when you can ask the questions in here and get the answers for free! But thankfully I stopped my 'buy a book' campaign a few years ago as apparently I was stressing people out.
Old 03-09-15, 11:59 PM

Default Canadian PJI wings

Not sure where you are coming from Ed but on top of the cost of the book, postage is around $42 to Australia. This is a big limiting factor! Also, my interest is air force brevets and in some countries PJI wings come under the air force. This book is predominately on para and army wings and I think to pay over $80 for 2-3 badges that I may be interested in is a bit too much to expect. If there was more information on the promotional side of the book and what the exact contents were, I may be persuaded !

Regards

Doug
Old 04-09-15, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Canadain PJI Wings

Good day Doug,

Perhaps I can help out a little with your request. I understand that your area of interest is Air Force brevets, so the following is for "general knowledge and private information". My apologies if you already know the following, I only wish to help out.

Up until Unification of the three branches of Canada's military, parachuting was basically an Army affair. As Bill has stated above, during the '50's -'60's, along with the Canadian para qual, there were two trade badges that soldiers would wear. The Parachute Instructor and the Rigger. All Army trade badges were found in four "Groups", 1 to 4, 1 being junior and 4 being the senior. The group badge that a soldier wore depended on rank and training and was worn on the lower sleeve up to the rank of Sergeant. Upon promotion to Warrant Officer, the badge came off.

Up to Unification, the only RCAF para qual badge was for the Parachute Rescue badge. Once the Forces unified, new badges had to be designed to go on the CF green uniform. A new Parachute Rescue badge was designed, but was replaced when the "Search and Rescue Technician" became its own trade withing the CF.

I have attached pictures of the Army trade badges for the Rigger and Parachute Instructor that I have in my collection. The Rigger shows Groups 1, 2, and 3. 1 being the basic badge, 2 with a laurel wreath underneath and 3 with a Queen's Crown above. Group 4 would include both the laurel wreath and the crown, however some trades, including Rigger did not go that high. The same for Parachute Instructor (I only have Grp. 2), which is found in Groups 1 to 3.

Hope this has been of some help, if only to clarify. And as for books, I hear you. I would like to get the new book of British para quals that has been discussed on this forum, but after postage and exchange, it's would cost me about $160. Yikes!! Anyway, stay safe and have fun.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0134.jpg (29.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0133.jpg (69.5 KB, 13 views)
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 01-06-22, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Good day Doug,

Perhaps I can help out a little with your request. I understand that your area of interest is Air Force brevets, so the following is for "general knowledge and private information". My apologies if you already know the following, I only wish to help out.

Up until Unification of the three branches of Canada's military, parachuting was basically an Army affair. As Bill has stated above, during the '50's -'60's, along with the Canadian para qual, there were two trade badges that soldiers would wear. The Parachute Instructor and the Rigger. All Army trade badges were found in four "Groups", 1 to 4, 1 being junior and 4 being the senior. The group badge that a soldier wore depended on rank and training and was worn on the lower sleeve up to the rank of Sergeant. Upon promotion to Warrant Officer, the badge came off.

Up to Unification, the only RCAF para qual badge was for the Parachute Rescue badge. Once the Forces unified, new badges had to be designed to go on the CF green uniform. A new Parachute Rescue badge was designed, but was replaced when the "Search and Rescue Technician" became its own trade withing the CF.

I have attached pictures of the Army trade badges for the Rigger and Parachute Instructor that I have in my collection. The Rigger shows Groups 1, 2, and 3. 1 being the basic badge, 2 with a laurel wreath underneath and 3 with a Queen's Crown above. Group 4 would include both the laurel wreath and the crown, however some trades, including Rigger did not go that high. The same for Parachute Instructor (I only have Grp. 2), which is found in Groups 1 to 3.

Hope this has been of some help, if only to clarify. And as for books, I hear you. I would like to get the new book of British para quals that has been discussed on this forum, but after postage and exchange, it's would cost me about $160. Yikes!! Anyway, stay safe and have fun.

Ian
I could be wrong, but to my knowledge the Rigger only existed in Group 1, 2 and 3; the Para Instructor only in 2 and 3. If anyone has other info, please let me know.
Cheers,
Alain
Old 02-06-22, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Canadian Parachute Instructor Badge

Good day Alain,

While I do not have a Group I Para Instr trade badge in my possession, you can see a picture of one owned by Lou Grimshaw in Bennett's book, "CANADIAN AIRBORNE WINGS & PARACHUTE BADGES" (published 2008).

So, one exists. Whether it was done up but never issued is a question for research.

Also: Group 4 would include both the laurel wreath and the crown, however some trades, including Rigger did not go that high.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 02-06-22, 02:18 PM

Default An overview

Thanks for the info. Made an overview of what I know. Created the Para Instructor Group I with Photoshop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schermafbeelding 2022-06-02 161731.jpg (98.8 KB, 24 views)