British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-05-22, 02:38 PM

Default No More Londons

I may have missed a reference to it whilst out of action recently but the London Regiment no longer exists.

Jon

The following is taken from Wikipedia:-

Status from April 2022
The London Regiment was re-designated 1st Battalion, London Guards and ceased to be a regiment in its own right, the former companies of the London Regiment becoming reserve companies of the four senior foot guard regiments on 1 April 2022.
Although the companies do not form a regiment as such, there are certain appointments that could be misconstrued as indicators of regimental status: colonel, lieutenant colonel, adjutant and council. Deputy honorary colonels for the existing companies will continue in post to provide continuity for one year. Thereafter, they will be replaced by senior representatives of their respective foot guard regiments.

Immediately prior to the transfer of its companies to foot guards regiments the London Regiment consisted of:
Regimental Headquarters, Battersea, London
• HQ (London Irish Rifles) Company, Camberwell, became No 15 (Loos) Company, Irish Guards.
• A (London Scottish) Company, Westminster and Mortar Platoon, Catford, became G (Messines) Company, Scots Guards.
• F (Rifles) Company, Hammersmith, became No 17 Company, Coldstream Guards
• G (Guards) Company, Kingston upon Thames became Ypres Company, Grenadier Guards.
Old 03-05-22, 03:06 PM

I believe there may have been a previous discussion concerning this. It would seem that there was very little of the London Regt. surviving prior to this move, but it looks like this does it all in.
The Guards also seem to be far less, shall I say exclusive, in these modern days than they used to be.

CB
By the way, I assume this means the demise of the London Scottish pipe band? Also, will the men being transferred undergo Guards training?

Last edited by cbuehler; 03-05-22 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-05-22, 03:19 PM

This ties in with what ,i think OC14 said about a chat he had with a London Scottish ACF Officer.
Also one that i had who had an involvement with 1st Cadet Btn KRRC. I presume that they will be badged to the Rifles now.

Do the incremental regular Guards company still exist ? Does it mean the GG,SG and CG have 2 extra Coys and the WG none.

Last edited by Mike H; 03-05-22 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-05-22, 03:28 PM

Are the renamed companies wearing their appropriate regimental cap badge ?
If so,the 3 different recent London Regt badges will be obsolete and become pretty scarce.
Old 03-05-22, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed they will. Hopefully there may be a release of them on to the market as I have none of them.

It's progress I am afraid as it brings the AR even more into the Regular Army fold to provide ready augmentees. It also gives the Guards the long desired tied Army Reserve posts that they have always sought.
Old 03-05-22, 03:49 PM

I tried to update the relevant page: The London Regiment.

I am not sure I got it all correct, it is a bit confusing with the companies belonging to the different Guards regiments and nevertheless being part of the one battalion The London Guards.

As always, I am open for comments, the pointing out of errors.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 03-05-22, 04:08 PM

So the relatively new cap badge of G Guards London Regiment will become obsolete also?
Is there a new cap badge and shoulder title for the London Guards? Or is it still early days?
Chris
Old 03-05-22, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Chris

You may be missing the point - they are being badged to the Guards Regiments so there are no new badges or patches. They will dress as Guardsmen.

Alan
Old 03-05-22, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chris

You may be missing the point - they are being badged to the Guards Regiments so there are no new badges or patches. They will dress as Guardsmen.

Alan
I was indeed missing the point.
Cheers Alan.
So the G Guards badge had an extremely short life, doesn't seem like five minutes ago there was a whole thread regarding it.
I wonder if they'll have any distinguishing patch or title on the uniform at all?
Chris
Old 03-05-22, 10:48 PM

No bods for the Welsh Guards? Regards, Paul.