British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-12-08, 07:10 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

These Para badges keep showing up,so can they really be classed as scarse?(reminds me of the margarite badge) If you want something more scarser than the cap badge try finding a large tunic button for the same unit. But some they will be repro'ed to. Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 24-12-08 at 07:18 PM.
Old 20-01-09, 04:29 PM

Cool Coin collector approach!

please,please, a coin collectorknows that a coin has 2 sides (obverse and reverse) and badges are judged the same way,2 sides.you reduce the opportunity of fakery by not posting the back side (reverse) of the badge. Thank you for this small consideration. "bgpipes"
Old 09-02-09, 02:34 PM

Mmm I can see the argument of not helping the fakers by this approach.

However as the rears of these badges are displayed in all their various glories in at least 2 books readily available and umpteen websites its a bit late!

Also if no-one ever displayed the backs this makes the fakers life even easier they would only need copy the front. As you wouldn't know if you where buying a dud unless you already had a genuine one to compare it with.
Old 10-02-09, 02:15 PM

I've thoughts both ways on showing the reverse of the badge. Knowledge is power especially when looking at rare and expensive badges. If you don't know what the back looks like you can make a mistake ... and that's not good for the buyer. Part of me says keep this knowledge to myself but if I don't share how will I learn from others. Also, if I wished to fake a badge the first thing I'd do is buy an original as a template. No problem seeing both sides if it's in my hand. Fakers are more interseted in making money and there will be differences in quality strike material used etc and those differences are the things we must use to protect ourselves.
Old 10-02-09, 02:16 PM

P.S. I'd like to see a thread on commonly used repo mistakes and how to Identify them... any thoughts on this?
Old 10-02-09, 02:32 PM

Default Repro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim a View Post
P.S. I'd like to see a thread on commonly used repo mistakes and how to Identify them... any thoughts on this?
Jim.

I would also like to see a thread with known copies/restrikes. With pointers of what to look for.

3748 Hussar
Old 09-11-09, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3748 Hussar View Post
Jim.

I would also like to see a thread with known copies/restrikes. With pointers of what to look for.

3748 Hussar
I think it's easier/better to learn what the real thing looks like rather than trying to learn what all of the fakes look like as there will be more variations of fakes than the real thing and new badges will continuously be introduced....

Tags
airborne, canadian parachute