British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-04-20, 06:38 PM

Default WW1 Lancashire Fusiliers shoulder tabs?

I recently acquired the attached photo. It actually first caught my attention because of the gent on the left, wearing battle patches of what looks to be 10th KRRC.

On closer inspection, I noticed some 'ribbon'-type tabs just below the brass shoulder title of the gent on the right, who was evidently serving with the Lancashire Fusiliers.

Would anyone have any idea of the significance of the shoulder tabs?

Any insights welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 10th KRRC & LancsFus signaller (100).jpeg (52.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpeg 10th KRRC & LancsFus signaller J crop02.jpeg (80.2 KB, 81 views)
Old 13-04-20, 10:33 PM

Not sure about the ribbon but I have seen a similar affectation on MGC soldiers. I have a photo in my collection I'll post tomorrow The title may be Royal Dublin Fusiliers the top of the first letter seems to be closed to my old eyes?

Regards

Mark
Old 14-04-20, 05:20 AM

It does look like "D" rather than "L".
If RDF could the ribbon be a green favour for the nationalist cause or to mark St Patrick's Day?
Old 14-04-20, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH331 View Post
Not sure about the ribbon but I have seen a similar affectation on MGC soldiers. I have a photo in my collection I'll post tomorrow The title may be Royal Dublin Fusiliers the top of the first letter seems to be closed to my old eyes?

Regards

Mark
Not sure it is a 'D', as it does not appear to be a smooth 'D' construction, although I certainly see what you mean...

Are there other possible options for these Fusilier regiment titles, beyond Lancashire Fusiliers and Royal Dublin Fusiliers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 10th KRRC & LancsFus signaller J crop03.jpeg (43.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by DougSA; 14-04-20 at 02:52 PM.
Old 14-04-20, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
It does look like "D" rather than "L".
If RDF could the ribbon be a green favour for the nationalist cause or to mark St Patrick's Day?
I should mention that the photo was taken in South Shields, so - if the two gents are indeed brothers - then it would seem to make Irish connection less likely; although of course not ruling this out.
Old 14-04-20, 09:19 AM

A bit closer to Northumberland Fusiliers country then.
Old 14-04-20, 09:57 AM

Flicking through "The Badges of Kitchener's Army" by David Bolton I note that July - November 1916 on the Somme 7 KSLI wire cutters wore white streamers on the point of the shoulders.
I wonder if the arrangement on the shoulder of the Fusilier in the photo is a similar insignia worn to denote a particular role within his battalion?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200414_104905331.jpg (13.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 14-04-20, 10:11 AM

From the same book, 8 RDF wore a dark green pennon at the top of the sleeves, but if that's what's being worn in the photo it doesn't explain what appears to be a vertical ribbon hanging down from the base of the shoulder strap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200414_110427103.jpg (16.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 14-04-20, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
A bit closer to Northumberland Fusiliers country then.
Yes, Northumberland Fusiliers would certainly make sense in terms of where the photo was taken.

Re-looking at the shoulder title, I would say that "NF" seems more likely than "DF". What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 10th KRRC & LancsFus signaller J crop03.jpeg (43.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 15-04-20, 09:53 AM

Definitely RDF title variant with plain grenade to my eyes. The Irish regiments’ Service Battalion’s really struggled with recruitment after 1916 and regimental history refers to large drafts of Yorkshire men from the York and Lancs (Sheffield’s regiment) being sent to one of the RDF battalions In Salonika after the battle of Kosturino, where the Bulgarian’s inflicted heavy casualties. It mentions that they were good quality men and highly regarded by the regimental officers*. I suspect that the streamers relate to the role mentioned by Leigh, but for a different battalion (6th and 7th RDF were there).

* Previously the 6th and 7th had each received over 3 hundred men, and half a dozen(+) officers from 2nd Norfolk’s and 3rd Royal West Kent’s, approximately one third of battalion strength. The other Irish regiments also received large drafts from English regiments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD0489A9-A6F2-44F6-8523-93A8DE296E6A.jpg (46.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 15-04-20 at 12:02 PM.