British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-04-09, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Interestingly I have this Buffs badge made by Timings:

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg george and oliver Apr 09 010.jpg (36.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 18-04-09, 08:11 PM

Hi Alan,

Doesn't the CNN/COSA show that the badges (with NSN in the COSA for later badges) show that they are available for issue and hence had to have been manufactured for this issue?

This is a very important point in which I hope to use to separate the authorised and issued badges from the unofficial commissions.

Re: John Gaylor. This weekend so far his name has been raised three times in connection with certain badges sent to me from three different sources this weekend and it's only Sunday morning here. I must now have 10 odd references to him on unofficial commissions from different people via email over the last year or so.

Regards

Chris
Old 18-04-09, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Chris.

They do not show production but only authority for such. There are lots of badges on the list for regts that were not in existance (and had not been for some time) by the time a/a badges were about.

Alan
Old 18-04-09, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Hi Gents,
My example of the anodised suffolk Regt cap badge has a rear the same as that pictured ( i.e behind the scroll is solid at the rear) and has a slider marked H.W Timmings in the usual small stamped print of this maker.

Regards to all

Bess
Hi Bess,

Any change of a piccy?

Regards

Chris
Old 19-04-09, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Were any Suffolk badges actually needed in 1956-8 and more importantly made? While CCN records show that the badges were authorised it does not show production unfortunately.

Alan
If i remember correctly,the regular btn of the Suffolks were serving somewhere in the far east immediately prior to amalgamation.So they would have been wearing jungle kit.
Old 19-04-09, 07:45 PM

Default Staybrite Cap badge Web Pages

Re Suffolk Regt. I had a conversation with Taff Gillingham a couple of years ago regarding QC Suffolk badges. He told me he had discussed this with the last officer ever commissioned into the Suffolk Regt before amalgamation- he always wore a KC OSD bronze badge, despite the sealed pattern existing for a QC!. This leaves the QC possibly being worn by the TA Bn and cadets.
Stephen.
Old 19-04-09, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Stephen,

Highly doubtful that they did as the TA were amalgamated with the Cambridgeshires in 1958 as well. They wore a bespoke TA design.

Alan
Old 19-04-09, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Re Suffolk Regt. I had a conversation with Taff Gillingham a couple of years ago regarding QC Suffolk badges. He told me he had discussed this with the last officer ever commissioned into the Suffolk Regt before amalgamation- he always wore a KC OSD bronze badge, despite the sealed pattern existing for a QC!. This leaves the QC possibly being worn by the TA Bn and cadets.
Stephen.
I think this applies to various other regiments besides the Suffolks.Im sure the 8th Hussars were still wearing kc badges when they were amalgamated.
Old 09-06-09, 05:35 PM

Default Royal Horse Artillery a/a badge

Hi Guys,
Found this badge for the web page. It's a silver anodised aluminium cap badge to the Royal Horse Artillery with the E11R cypher solid (unvoided).

Badge is made by the London Badge & button Coy and I suspect was made in error.
Best Regards.
UK brits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1369.jpg (62.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-06-09, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbrits View Post
Hi Guys,
Found this badge for the web page. It's a silver anodised aluminium cap badge to the Royal Horse Artillery with the E11R cypher solid (unvoided).

Best Regards.
UK brits
Ooops. Looks like someone forgot to do this part of the voiding before the anodising process.

Lots of these about and the task to do is to compare this with a voided version looking for die flaws to see if the both came from the same obverse die and if they did then what you have is an unfinished example.

Regards

Chris
Old 09-06-09, 09:27 PM

Possibly made from the Collar Badge die by mistake.
Old 10-06-09, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbrits View Post
Hi Guys,

Best Regards.
UK brits
According to Hodges 'British Army Badges' p. 12 these partially unvoided badges are collars. But the slider is odd.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 10-06-09, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
According to Hodges 'British Army Badges' p. 12 these partially unvoided badges are collars. But the slider is odd.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Hi chaps,
and just to come full circle on the RHA badges . . . I have some collars that are voided!

Incidentally, I believe that the collars to be worn with the early gilt and 'seeded' RHA anodised cypher are the usual gilt RA 'bombs' with the UBIQUE scroll.

Further to this (and I'm sure 54BTY will shed light on this) are there specific silver & seeded collars for the RHA anodised cypher of this type? Have only ever encountered this badge with the two horizontal lugs on the rear. Were the same badges used as collars? Any idea's chaps?

My gilt and seeded anodised cyphers are GAUNT London with a slider.

Regards all

Bess
Old 01-08-09, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
That should be King's Own Scottish Borderers.
Who wore the small badge?

Rgds,
fougasse.
Hi Guys,

Resurrecting this.

There was no 'small' badge for the KOSB. What is sold by some dealers as a KOSB beret or females badge is in fact the Pipers sporran badge. The curator of the KOSB museum in Berwick upon Tweed showed me this sporran badge on a sealed pattern card and informed me that the KOSB never wore a beret.

So, don't spend 25 quid odd on this 'rare' variant.

Regards

Chris
Old 01-08-09, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

Is quite right here. I have spoken personally to ex-KOSB Officers and there were no women in the Bn before the introduction of the AGC(SPS) in the early 1990s who wore the AGC badge. There were no berets (on men or women), no female 'jumper' badges, interim female cap badge or anything of the sort. All of this is total fantasy from dealers.

alan

Tags
anodised, staybrite