British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-07-21, 12:27 AM

Default Any clues?

Hi

Following my post with the "artistic" arrangement of assorted veteran's association badges that (mostly) pre-date the formation of the British Legion, I decided to pick out three of the ones that have intrigued me the most.

At least two of them (Pontypridd and Paisley) are clearly regional so maybe members with an interest in local associations could make a comment.

The Welsh badge looks black in colour but is actually the most amazing midnight blue, a colour I've never seen before on any badge!

The theme of "justice" seems to figure heavily as does the Silver War Badge. I have an SWB that has been enameled with a red centre and a blue outer just like the Paisley badge. Sadly a plate has been placed over the back, thereby obscuring the number.....

OK, who can add to our collective knowledge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3vetsbadges.jpg (37.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 3vetsbadges1.jpg (39.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 30-07-21, 03:44 AM

Default Scottish Federation of Discharged Soldiers & Sailors

I thought that I should post this photo also as it clearly uses elements in common with the Paisley badge.

I have both pinback (as this example is) and "half moon" fitting. In the case of the Scottish Federation and the Paisley badge, the figure of Justice is rivetted (is this a metaphor, I ask in jest? )in place. In the case of the Paisley badge the figure and the banner bearing the word "JUSTICE" are part of the separate addition.

I'd owned this badge for some weeks until I saw that behind the figure there was a representation of the SWB!

I'm also struck by the fact that this badge is lozenge-shaped, as are some of my other Scottish badges. Many Scottish buttons also have this shape so can anyone explain the reason for this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scottishfed.jpg (35.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 30-07-21, 04:04 AM

I suspect I'm stating the obvious, but the Pontypridd badge is " Federation of Discharged and Demobilised Sailors and Soldiers"?

"Justice" on various counts was a big "thing" with the left leaning Federation.

"The Silver Badge Party" was another "political" exserviceman's organisation, but I suspect that you know this and I'm misinterpreting what you're asking?

Did The Silver Badge Party become part of The National Federation of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers?

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 30-07-21 at 04:14 AM.
Old 30-07-21, 09:14 AM

These groups remind me of "The Life of Brian" !

Quote:
Judean People's Front , People's Front of Judea , Judean Popular People's Front
Splitters !

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Did The Silver Badge Party become part of The National Federation of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers? (NFDDSS)
The Silver Badge Party was linked to The National Association of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers (NADSS) .

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 30-07-21, 10:47 AM

Hi Mike and Leigh

Thanks for your replies and the humour too!

Yes, I think that the Pontypridd is as you state, Leigh. That Silver Badge Party has always intrigued me and, I guess, that to be a member you had to have....a SILVER WAR BADGE!

I think that I posted an excerpt from a paper of the period that explained the Comrades and the Federation under the wonderful title of:

"The FODADS and the La-Dee-Dahs"

Upon reading further, it becomes clear (and Wootton's book bears this out) that the Comrades were, despite their name that I for some time I thought was an indication of early Bolshevism, seen as very much elitist.

Interesting what you can learn when you look at original accounts...
Old 30-07-21, 10:55 AM

I'm not sure but I don't think u you had to have qualified for the SWB in order to join the Silver Badge.
Old 30-07-21, 11:03 AM

Hi Leigh

Quite possible but given that they dished out umpteen thousand of them it could have been a way of saving on badges for membership!

Re SWBs: I think that I've already posted about an Australian SWB that I have that was claimed, in 1968, by a veteran who wrote to Defence asking for "the wounded medal" [sic.]!
Old 30-07-21, 11:05 AM

Oh, and they sent it to him!
Old 30-07-21, 12:02 PM

The Silver Badge Party was an 'unofficial' organisiation that was basically a political party. They put forward candidates in some elections but the "party" was actually made up of members of various veterans groups.

As the Silver War Badge was only issued to 'service personnel who had been honourably discharged due to wounds or sickness from military service in World War I ' , it is highly unlikely that it was a requirement of a 'political organisation' that was supposed to represent all veterans.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 30-07-21, 10:05 PM

Hi Mike

Yes, my comment was partly made in jest...

Thinking on it further, I imagine that the SWB was, in the immediate post-war period, the most visible symbol of a returned man (or woman) and this could also suggest why the two badges illustrated used the iconography of the SWB.

I'm wondering if there is anything of their "paperwork" left behind much as we still find items from other organisations.

I'm still impressed by the 1968 issue of an SWB!