British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-07-14, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seathanaich View Post
Nobody answered Bryan's question; but the reason for that crown appears to be that the entire design has been borrowed from somebody's (or some city's) coat of arms. Probably some Scottish lord. There are a few oddball crowns in Canadian militaria, and this is one of them.

About 5 years ago I bought a large lot of Canadian badges for about $700. All had had their lugs removed, by one of these morons who then glues them to display them. In this group were a LOT of otherwise quite valuable badges (Argyll Light Infantry flat back officer cap badge for example, off the top of my head), including this Officer Service Dress Bronze cap/collar for the 13th Scottish Light Dragoons.

However, another interesting find of mine was a pair of brass shoulder titles spelling "13 DRAGOONS" - one of them is pictured. I have tried to find another regiment anywhere in the British Empire that was both "13th" and "Dragoons", without success. The UK, South Africa, India, Australia, New Zealand - nobody except Canada had a 13th Dragoons.

Interesting, no?
Yes, indeed, very interesting, & thanks very much for your response. I had forgotten all about this topic that I started back in 2010, the badge I no longer have as his medal turned out to be renamed it went back to the vendor.

I expect 13 as a regimental designation number would not have been popular due to the bad luck connotations that are associated with the number 13.
Was not the RHLI the successor to the 13th Reg't (pre CEF) tho?
Not Dragoons of course, but an Infantry regiment.

Bryan
Old 20-07-14, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Both the infantry and cavalry were numbered prior to the First World War. In the Otter reorganization of 1920 the infantry regiments were required to remove their numerical designation and used names only. The cavalry were allowed to continue using numerical designations or names. The XIII Regiment eventually became the RHLI in 1927.
I don't think the powers that organized things put much weight in superstitions. They would assign the numerical designation and the unit would have little say.
Old 20-07-14, 03:50 PM

Hello Seathanaich. I must have missed your original post. Our Canadian 13th Scottish Light Dragoons did, indeed, have the shoulder titles "13 Dragoons". They seem to have been specific to Officers. Please refer to these photos:
Duncan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0012_13th_Scottish_LD_HP.jpg (81.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 0012_13th_Scottish_LD_set.jpg (67.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 0013_13th_Scottish_LD_BP.jpg (74.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 20-07-14, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

The crown on the 13th Scottish Light Dragoons appears to be a ducal crown. I can't find a detailed history of this regiment, but there is likely some connection to a Scottish duke in the history / organization of the unit.
Old 20-07-14, 07:16 PM

Default YOU MADE MY DAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Hello Seathanaich. I must have missed your original post. Our Canadian 13th Scottish Light Dragoons did, indeed, have the shoulder titles "13 Dragoons". They seem to have been specific to Officers. Please refer to these photos:
Duncan
Thank you Duncan - it makes my day to learn that I own a pair of officer shoulder titles for the 13th Scottish Light Dragoons! I'd been hoping that was the case, but it's nice to confirm it, since Mazeas does NOT have shoulder titles in the 1901-20 book of his I have. Cheers.
Old 11-03-21, 04:30 AM

I know this is 10 years later, but are you interested in selling it?