British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-02-14, 02:58 PM

Default Wanted - Armoured unit cap badges

Hello Everyone:
If anyone has spares or is willing to part with any of the items found below, please send me a private message.
Thank you and have a good day.
Moe RCNR

OFFICER KING'S CROWN CAP BADGES
Canadian Armoured Corps (early version)
AFV Centre (Chocolate Brown)
Calgary Tank Regiment
Canadian Grenadier Guards
Governor General's Horse Guards

KINGS CROWN OFFFICER'S COLLARS (matching pairs)
right and left facing, if applicable, to the following units.
Canadian Armoured Corps (early version)
British Columbia Regiment
Calgary Tank Regiment
Governor General's Foot Guards
Canadian Grenadier Guards
Governor General's Horse Guards
4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards
South Alberta Regiment
Sherbrooke Fusiliers

Thanks.
Old 13-02-14, 12:08 AM

There is no Crown on a GGFG badge - either cap or collar
Old 13-02-14, 02:20 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info, Clive. I should have explained myself a little more by indicating SWW.
Moe
Old 13-02-14, 02:50 PM

Hi Clive

For the GGFG hat badge, was there a time period for flat vs concave badges?

I had heard the flat ones were WW2.

Hi Moe

Welcome. Sorry I cannot, at this time, help with your needs but as a Cav/Armour collector, will keep an eye out.

regards
Darrell
Old 13-02-14, 03:06 PM

Are you looking for:
-The Sherbrooke Fusiliers (Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke)
-The Sherbrooke Regiment
or
-The Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment ???

No crown on the collars of
The Sherbrooke Fusiliers
or
The Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment
Old 13-02-14, 10:37 PM

Moe,

What are you considering to be the CAC "early" version cap and the AFV cap?

I am not aware of the CAFVTC badge (Scully Marked, detailed Tank, with 'inverted' V at rear) being made in "Chocolate Brown" (OSD I presume?) or the generic CAC badge for that matter. The collars, yes, the caps no.

I do have an extra matched pair of "brown" generic CAC collars you might be interested in, but I know of at least three different die/patterns, so which are you after?.

I also recently received some spare items from a former CAC/GGHG officer of the SWW and post war era. There were a number (5or 6) GGHG cap badges but all are the regular white metal variety.

Is there a special (metal, not embroidered bullion) 'Officer's' cap badge for the GGHG? Same question for the Calgary Tank Regt. and the CGG??
Old 13-02-14, 10:51 PM

I knew a veteran who had been posted to the CAFVTC in Borden during the war. Officers would bring in their white metal cap badges and he would treat them with acid and a blow torch to give them a subdued finish.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 14-02-14, 07:00 PM

Default Clarification and Questions

Gentlemen:
I collect SWW Cdn. armoured unit items. I realize that some cap badges & collars do not have a King's Crown as part of the badge. Sorry for the confusion.

Patrick:
Thank you for your interest. I am looking for officer service dress collars to the Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment.

Bill:
Thank you for asking for clarification. Presently I have OR cap and collars to the Armoured Corps; the one with the WWI tank in the centre piece. Also, OR cap & collars to the AFVTC. I also have a pair of officer collars, coloured brown, to the AFVTC. Is there a brown coloured officer cap badge that matches the brown coloured officer collars? I assumed that the GGHG, the Calgary Tanks and the CGG's would have metal officer collars; I stand to be corrected. Did the South Alberta's officer cap badge look like the OR's?

Thanks

Moe
Old 14-02-14, 07:31 PM
guest7789

Hi Moe, I wish you luck in your search for a pair of Sherbrooke Fusiliers collars. I've been on the lookout for three years and have yet to find even a single one anywhere. Then again if everything was easy where would the fun be.
Old 14-02-14, 08:14 PM

Default cap and collar confusion!

Moe,

As far as I know and I am reasonably confident, the SWW CAC badges, only come in white metal or silver-plate. (solid Sterling may exist, but I've never seen one). The CAFVTC badge only in white metal. There is a thread on here that shows and 'officers' badge in silver plate with a gilt tank, but I think that may be a private purchase/one-off and not the norm. I have numerous photos of officer cadets and officers in both BD/Berets and SD/service caps at Borden and overseas and all they show is "white" cap badges.

If officers did privately purchase bronzed/browned/bi-metal/bullion/acid-treated badges for common wear I would think they would turn up with a little more regularity.

Collar badges on the other hand I do not understand at all… I have photos of officers wearing Service Dress with CAC badges and regimental collars and some with Regt'l cap badges with CAC collars?? Also there was a myriad of different die varieties in both white metal and bronze.

In my collection I only have the OSD bronze CAFVTC collars and wasn't aware that there were white metal versions existant. Would like to see photos if you can post?

I'll try and get around to posting some photos of my collection of CAC badges and some period photos ...but I really should be working on my basement development

Last edited by WJ Miller; 14-02-14 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 14-02-14, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe RCNR View Post
Gentlemen:
I collect SWW Cdn. armoured unit items. I realize that some cap badges & collars do not have a King's Crown as part of the badge. Sorry for the confusion.

Patrick:
Thank you for your interest. I am looking for officer service dress collars to the Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment.

Bill:
Thank you for asking for clarification. Presently I have OR cap and collars to the Armoured Corps; the one with the WWI tank in the centre piece. Also, OR cap & collars to the AFVTC. I also have a pair of officer collars, coloured brown, to the AFVTC. Is there a brown coloured officer cap badge that matches the brown coloured officer collars? I assumed that the GGHG, the Calgary Tanks and the CGG's would have metal officer collars; I stand to be corrected. Did the South Alberta's officer cap badge look like the OR's?

Thanks

Moe
South Alberta officer's badge is fire gilt with silver overlay, in same pattern as OR badge. Coincidentally, one just sold on eBay a few days back (first I'd seen, BTW) at around $375 CDN if memory serves.
Old 14-02-14, 08:18 PM

Default SAR Officers' Cap Badge

…yeah, first one I had seen for sale too. Glad I snapped it up.
Old 14-02-14, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
…yeah, first one I had seen for sale too. Glad I snapped it up.
Not wishing to hijack this thread when it arrives can you please post it on the forum I'd love to see it.

Cheers
Chris
Old 15-02-14, 05:54 AM

I'm with Bill on this. I have seen the Armoured Corps badges in silver plate, sterling, bullion, & the controversial gilt & silver, but never in an OSD finish.

As for the others, I am uncertain of any specific officers pattern for the Calgary Tanks. There are a few suspect sterling badges around, & also a bullion pattern which may be late SWW or very early post war.

CGG's officer badge was a bullion grenade - hard to find a good period example. I don't believe this regiment wore collars outside of their ceremonial & mess uniforms.

The GGHG had a nice bullion badge, but I have never encountered a precious metal badge.

Off topic, but the SAR had the gilt & silver badge & also a bullion badge. There are several photos of Major Currie VC wearing the latter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (44.9 KB, 6 views)