British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-23, 11:48 PM

Default An Essex Oddity

I light of two recent posts, one in respect of a cut down/altered ASC badge, (which I'm having trouble locating) and this, from earlier today, in respect of a no scroll East Surrey; I'm posting my offering with perhaps an explanation for them.........or at least a theory without any solid evidence.

Oddity front.jpg Oddity rear.jpg

The central motif of a 1st Pattern Essex Regiment Helmet Plate Centre; has been carefully removed, (saw/removal marks can be seen beneath the scroll) and a slider has been attached.

Yes, there is, of course, a distinct possibility that a fraudster has ruined a perfectly good item to conjure up a fake for the market or perhaps removed the motif from a damaged HP centre to create the item.

However, if the original HP donor was intact, why ruin a piece, normally priced in excess of £30 or so?

My theory is that it was created by or for a veteran soldier who wished to show his allegiance or whatever to his old Regiment, much the same as Old Comrades badges, and would wear it on his lapel, with pride, the slider being pushed through the buttonhole.

This could be the answer to these oddities that appear from time to time, that appear to be constructed from genuine badges.

Regards.

Brian
Old 18-01-23, 10:32 AM

Brian,
I think all of these possibilities are worthy of consideration, damaged badges can be turned into something quite artistic by the craftsman as well as the unscrupulous fakers such as the Machine Gun Corps badges with overlaid titles and other emblems.

Good to keep IMO as something to go along with the other items of the Regiment for interest.

Thanks for showing this item.

Rob
Old 18-01-23, 01:19 PM

My tuppence worth is that before, during and after the war, right up to the 1970s. the average working man was more familiar with metal work and the related tools than we are today.

The average house probably had a shed with a work bench and a vice and a few basic files and drills to work with. It seems that back then, without so much on the telly as there is now, a man would happily spend hours in his shed, filing, sawing and drilling bits of brass or whatever to make nic nacs and trinkets, or perhaps basic wood work just to keep out of the way of 'er indoors.

My father made me a farm about three feet square complete with a pigsty, a barn and a duck pond for my sixth birthday and now that I think of it, he did seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in the shed.

I have stumbled across many items that appear to have been altered for no useful purpose other then decoration or to show off the maker's skill.

Altering coins was quite a popular thing in those days and altering badges for sweethearts is in the same vein.

I will dig out a few examples and post them.
Old 18-01-23, 01:52 PM

with this example was it possibly made for a pagri badge for pith/slouch or for a side cap?

Jerry
Old 18-01-23, 08:51 PM

Jerry.

I had considered that as a possibility, however, if this was/is the case, I have not seen another like it, nor any pictures showing similar being worn.

This led me to my assumption that it was perhaps made as an OCA badge or similar.

Regards.

Brian
Old 19-01-23, 12:27 AM

The Pagri flash for the Pompadours on the FSH between the wars was a narrow vertical strip of purple cloth.
I too have never seen anything like this badge.

CB
Old 19-01-23, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Jerry.

I had considered that as a possibility, however, if this was/is the case, I have not seen another like it, nor any pictures showing similar being worn.

This led me to my assumption that it was perhaps made as an OCA badge or similar.

Regards.

Brian
Brian, of course you had thought of this. Where did they serve in the relevant period.

I know some badges exist but are not seen in photos, the RWF shoulder title badge thought to be made in India whilst over there is not seen in photos but it is a fully accepted variant and I am sure there are others, for instance the bi-metal welsh nco collars are not known from photos, but examples exist as does a museum display card with one.

I'm not sure I would go for a slider for a muft/oca badge.

Jerry
Old 19-01-23, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
with this example was it possibly made for a pagri badge for pith/slouch or for a side cap?

Agreed.

It’s not unknown to see collars, cap badges etc., being worn in the FSH, slouch, FSC, in lieu of regiments’/battalions’ established flashes etc.

JT