British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-23, 11:14 PM

Default East Surrey No Scroll Construction

Been after one of these descrolled East Surrey Regiment badges for a while and finally one just fell into my lap. Scroll painstakingly removed as others mentioned on here, but it's the construction I'm interested in. It has the seven circular sweat holes on the star points, but the central one behind the slider is a huge square. Is this a known configuration on genuine (scrolled) badges? I've never seen it before. And any more ideas on why the descrolling was done?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (92.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (95.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (29.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 17-01-23, 09:24 AM

Previous but inconclusive thread here:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=71680

Tim
Old 20-01-23, 10:17 AM

Default Possible reasons for descrolling

My maternal grandfather served in the East Surrey Regiment in the 1920's and 30's and then again in the Second World War. Firstly with 2nd Bn in Gibraltar, UK and Jersey before they went to India and then with the Depot and the 1st Bn. His son, my uncle, then served with the East Surrey's in the UK and Cyprus before it became the Queens Royal Surrey Regiment in the UK, Aden, Hong Kong and Germany. As a result of this family connection I've researched the regiment fairly extensively.

There are two possible reasons for the de scrolling, either or both of which might apply.

Firstly one of the pre 1939 Territorial battalions, the 5th, was converted to 57th East Surrey Anti Tank Regiment RA, keeping the name and for a time the East Surrey Cap badge. It could be that the scroll was removed from the badge to differentiate themselves from the infantry battalions. The ES cap badge was still being worn when it supported the 1st and 1/6th Bn's at the Escaut in 1940.

There was also a small number of Home Service Bn's one of which which quickly became a Boy Soldiers unit the 70th I believe. It could also be the case that the cut down cap badge was issued to the boy soldiers.

Last edited by James K; 20-01-23 at 10:55 AM.
Old 20-01-23, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Option 3 is that it was changed to wear on the FSC/side cap. Without photos its impossible to know.
Old 20-01-23, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Option 3 is that it was changed to wear on the FSC/side cap. Without photos its impossible to know.
I once had my grandfathers side cap, two actually one khaki and the other full regimental colour, and the cap badges had the scroll
Old 20-01-23, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

I was thinking of the late war privately bought coloured FS caps worn for walking out.
Old 20-01-23, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I was thinking of the late war privately bought coloured FS caps worn for walking out.
The same as the bands had. Yes my grandfather had one as he was a drummer
Old 20-01-23, 09:41 PM

How about on a slouch hat? https://www.bulldogmilitaria.co.uk/e...8#.Y8sHhHbP3ct
Old 20-01-23, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojob123 View Post
Did they have them? 2nd East Surreys were lost in the retreat to Singapore and the remnants lost when it fell.
Old 22-01-23, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post
Did they have them? 2nd East Surreys were lost in the retreat to Singapore and the remnants lost when it fell.
I don't know, I'm sorry. I just happened to come across the listing when looking for examples of the descrolled badge. I would have to say, on a 2nd look, the badge looks like it could be a 1916 economy, so unlikely to be paired with a WW2 slouch hat. But it look like you can see where the scroll has been removed from the 3 lower star points. I will reserve judgement! Mike
Old 22-01-23, 08:20 PM

Thanks for replies guys. I'll assume the big square sweat hole is a known genuine one and keep my eyes open for any further possible uses of the descrolled badge - or even better, a period photograph of one being worn! Mike