British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-01-23, 03:18 PM

Default Trip to the UK

So I am heading over to the UK from the 14th to 27th Feb. Will be in the south, mostly Somerset visiting my sister but will have time for shops and shows if there are any within traveling distance?

Traveling with my 92-year-old mother who is quite mobile, but does anyone know about hire cars/taxis to go from Heathrow to Taunton? I know it will be pricey, but wanted to get a ball park figure to work off of?

Colin
Old 15-01-23, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post
So I am heading over to the UK from the 14th to 27th Feb. Will be in the south, mostly Somerset visiting my sister but will have time for shops and shows if there are any within traveling distance?

Traveling with my 92-year-old mother who is quite mobile, but does anyone know about hire cars/taxis to go from Heathrow to Taunton? I know it will be pricey, but wanted to get a ball park figure to work off of?

Colin
Colin,

It has been many years since I had cause to hire a taxi, but one thing I can say with certainty: if you are planning on hiring one to convey your from Heathrow, you will be wise to book well in advance with a company based outside the airport, preferably with one located close to your Somerset destination. Get a fixed price up front, and under no circs pick one up operating out of the airport... the cost will be larcenous, if not heart-stopping. Provincial cab firms normally offer fixed-rate airport prices. I would guess that a Somerset-based firm will be somewhat cheaper than a London-based outfit.

If you drive (and bear in mind we drive on the correct side of the road here in the UK ) it may be worth looking into car hire rather than cab hire.

Hopefully others will have better advice to offer.

Enjoy your stay.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 15-01-23 at 03:52 PM.
Old 15-01-23, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin 17 View Post

Colin
Hi Colin.
As JT said, try and use a company based in Taunton.
Try using an airport transfer company, they can work out cheaper than a cab.
Did a quick search, looks like £185 each way.
Please be aware, their are company’s that will quote stupid cheap prices, some of these are a con. They are normally a company based away from your destination saying they cover the whole of the UK.
Better to stick with a local company based at your destination.
I would also recommend just paying the one way first ( they will want this paid upfront)
Then if your happy with the service book the return journey
Also ask them if they will meet you in arrivals, it can be a bit of a trek to find your vehicle, especially if you are trying to help mum and move all your luggage
Hope you enjoy your stay
Chris
Old 15-01-23, 04:19 PM

Hi Colin
I think JT has covered it, I agree with what he says.
Get on booked early days, as they book up fast!
Does your sister drive? Or are you planning on public transport? If she doesn't drive, then the hire cat side of things would be better, quite a drive though from London to Taunton, best way M4, M5.
Again, book one early mate, they go quickly.
Hope this helps

Chris
Old 15-01-23, 04:44 PM

https://leotaxis.co.uk/
https://www.airport-transfers-taunton.com/
https://www.questcars.co.uk/
Old 15-01-23, 05:40 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info, it really helps. My mother got a quote of a 1000 quid for a return trip which sounded a lot to me.

I have driven over there on the CORRECT side of the road but its not, uh, very relaxing.....

Bus and train are the way for me!

Colin
Old 15-01-23, 05:50 PM

Hi Colin, have a check on trains from Heathrow to Taunton I’m sure they do that run, takes just over the 4 hours if I remember correctly, remember we do like a train strike over here so check out any upcoming strike dates

Gerard
Old 15-01-23, 06:01 PM

National Express run a coach from Heathrow to Taunton, takes 2h 45min and costs £12.50.
Worth a Google.
Old 15-01-23, 06:04 PM

I think you'd get a month's car rental for £1,000
Old 16-01-23, 05:58 PM

Im pretty sure I could buy a car for a thousand pounds!

I have found that there is a militaria show in Bristol (Yate) on my last weekend the so that should be awesome, hope there is a lot of nice stuff to buy.

Colin