British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-01-23, 05:12 PM

Default Broken slider

Hi. I have a broken snapped off slider off the back of a badge, it has come away right at the point it attaches to the badge, does anyone have the best solution to re affix. Thanks
Old 08-01-23, 11:24 PM

Default Broken slider

What badge is it?

If it is a fairly scarce badge it is worth repairing, if a common one, RASC, RE. RA then buy another unless it has a family attachment or part of a medal group and an original badge to that group.

Rob
Old 09-01-23, 01:27 AM

It is a fairly easy thing to solder it back on
Old 09-01-23, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAGunner View Post
Hi. I have a broken snapped off slider off the back of a badge, it has come away right at the point it attaches to the badge, does anyone have the best solution to re affix. Thanks
I went down the repair route as one badge without a slider was my dad's, and I had several others that just needed either new sliders, or reattaching broken ones. I purchased an Antex soldering iron, 230v 40W from RS Components stock number 768-3615, plus MBO 1.5mm wire lead free solder, stock number 555-260, total £40.00 for 2021 prices. Templers Telux flux 50g tin ebay, £5.00. New sliders from ebay a couple of pounds. The total price may seem a lot, but then you've always got the equipment for future repairs, plus any other soldering jobs.
Regards,
Leo
Old 09-01-23, 03:42 PM

I have to say I’m not a huge fan of badge repairs. All a matter of personal taste, of course, and who can say what is right or wrong? But for me, transplants mongrelise badges, and therefore detract from their appeal.

As stated, it’s all down to personal taste, but I’d be less inclined to want a badge (particularly a scarce badge) if I was aware it had been repaired in some way.

However, having the original broken section reattached, as seems to be the case with RMAGunner’s badge, is something I would make an exception for.

Just my tuppence-worth.

Regards to all,

JT
Old 09-01-23, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the input guys , the badge is a 10th Hackney regiment just picked it up this week , I may just buy anotherone.