British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-24, 09:49 PM

Default BBMF Spitfire crash,

I'm a bit saddened to here in the past couple of hours that one of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight spitfires has crashed killing the pilot, just reminds us that behind all the joy that tens of thousands of people watching them them flying that it can still be a dangerous job they volunteer for in their spare time as far as I'm aware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1716673100521.jpg (16.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 25-05-24, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I'm a bit saddened to here in the past couple of hours that one of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight spitfires has crashed killing the pilot, just reminds us that behind all the joy that tens of thousands of people watching them them flying that it can still be a dangerous job they volunteer for in their spare time as far as I'm aware.
Sad news indeed. Cannot help but wonder what crash investigation will reveal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-69056052

JT
Old 26-05-24, 12:58 AM

Very sad indeed.

Prayers to the family of the pilot.

I recall many years back at a small local airshow in Shropshire, seeing a mock fight between a Spit and ME109, incredible experience.

A sad day,
Roy

Researcher, author & dealer in the Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 26-05-24, 02:01 AM

Always sad news. Sympathies to the family of the pilot.

Terry
Old 26-05-24, 09:50 AM

The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight is a full-time but temporary career posting for the RAF service personnel that volunteer for it, both flight and ground crew.

It will be interesting to find out what went wrong, given that the Flight’s aircraft are probably the most lovingly and expertly maintained of any commemorative warbirds in the world.

Having seen the image of the crash in the press, the aircraft frame will likely fly again, but you have to wonder if the pilot didn’t give their life potential trying to save the aircraft instead of themself.

A terrible tragedy for all involved, particularly as they are on the cusp of what is supposed to be one of their busiest periods of commemorative participation.

All sympathies for the pilot’s loved ones.

John
Old 26-05-24, 12:32 PM

Default BBMF Spitfire crash

Very saddened by the death of the RAF pilot and the loss of MK356,

only time will tell if the BBMF Spitfire is rebuilt.

dedicated pilots bringing joy to millions of us at Airshows throughout the year

all over the Country, flying vintage aircraft which we look upon as our National

treasure.

the Merlin roar is still one of the most iconic sounds ever.
Old 26-05-24, 06:50 PM

Very sad. I also think of the pilots family, and hope things happened quickly. It will be so sad if it is found he had time to save himself but tried to save the Spit, which as been stated may possibly fly again. Regards, Paul.
Old 26-05-24, 07:02 PM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-retire.html
Old 30-05-24, 01:30 AM

Unfortunately this is a regular occurrence. All things aside, at the rate this is going, there will be no warbirds left to fly in decade or so. I sincerely hope the remains of this Spit are beyond repair, never to "thrill" others at the expense of another life. Lives and irreplaceable aircraft are being lost here in the US and around the world. High time to ground all of them and preserve what is left.

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 30-05-24 at 01:37 AM.
Old 30-05-24, 09:44 AM

I couldn't disagree with you more, the aircraft are in top condition and probably far better than most left the factory when first made, I hope they are still flying beyond Thier hundredth birthdays and beyond and think it would be a sad day when you can no longer get to hear the sound of a merlin as they fly past, and I certainly do hope we see it flying again a few years time.
Old 30-05-24, 02:05 PM

Have to agree with magpie. Modern aircraft have failures and crash, so there is risk when any aircraft takes to the air. It’s just managing that risk to a level that’s acceptable and then getting on with it.

Life would be most dull if no one took risks!

Cheers……John
Old 30-05-24, 03:03 PM

Watching the pair of Lancasters flying together over Exmouth with my father a few years ago is one of my most cherished memories, I wouldn't deny these opportunities to the next generations, long may it continue.

Rob
Old 30-05-24, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Have to agree with magpie. Modern aircraft have failures and crash, so there is risk when any aircraft takes to the air. It’s just managing that risk to a level that’s acceptable and then getting on with it.

Life would be most dull if no one took risks!

Cheers……John
I wonder what the families of the eleven people who died and the several more who were injured following the crash at the Shoreham Air Show in 2015 make of it all. Some cocky prat takes off in a Hawker Hunter and tries to be clever then loses it and causes mayhem and destruction on the A27. The fact that he went unpunished for it must have been absolutely sickening for the families of the victims.
Old 30-05-24, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I wonder what the families of the eleven people who died and the several more who were injured following the crash at the Shoreham Air Show in 2015 make of it all. Some cocky prat takes off in a Hawker Hunter and tries to be clever then loses it and causes mayhem and destruction on the A27. The fact that he went unpunished for it must have been absolutely sickening for the families of the victims.
Yes Hoot, a complete idiot and a travesty he was never properly held to account. And there will always be those that do inappropriate things in any walk of life. But that wasn’t my point.

As a skydiver I jump out of planes knowing that I have a circa 1:2million chance that of the two parachutes on my back, both could fail. I also know that if the jump plane I am riding in has a problem under 1,000ft, we are not getting out and if it crash-lands, well most recent incidents of that type have shown no one walks away. I know the risks and I accept them.

I too saw the Lancasters like Rob. Line abreast to each other, with flanking Spitfires as they made their first pass at IWM Duxford. It was an amazing sight I will never forget and one I hope my child gets to see one day.

These planes flying is our connection to history, to a generation fading before our eyes, who want to be remembered. I work with younger generations who when I say I’m off to Normandy for the D-Day commemorations, don’t even know what I am talking about! But for those who enjoy history, enjoy watching planes and flying them, who understand and enjoy the mechanics, why would we deprive them of the enjoyment they derive if the aircraft can fly and their are the people willing to fly them responsibly.

Cheers……John
Old 30-05-24, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Yes Hoot, a complete idiot and a travesty he was never properly held to account. And there will always be those that do inappropriate things in any walk of life. But that wasn’t my point.

As a skydiver I jump out of planes knowing that I have a circa 1:2million chance that of the two parachutes on my back, both could fail. I also know that if the jump plane I am riding in has a problem under 1,000ft, we are not getting out and if it crash-lands, well most recent incidents of that type have shown no one walks away. I know the risks and I accept them.

I too saw the Lancasters like Rob. Line abreast to each other, with flanking Spitfires as they made their first pass at IWM Duxford. It was an amazing sight I will never forget and one I hope my child gets to see one day.

These planes flying is our connection to history, to a generation fading before our eyes, who want to be remembered. I work with younger generations who when I say I’m off to Normandy for the D-Day commemorations, don’t even know what I am talking about! But for those who enjoy history, enjoy watching planes and flying them, who understand and enjoy the mechanics, why would we deprive them of the enjoyment they derive if the aircraft can fly and their are the people willing to fly them responsibly.

Cheers……John
I understand what you mean John and I totally agree that the BBMF aircraft are an amazing sight to see and hear in the air. As for your skydiving odds, they sound far better than the odds for anyone walking through Luton town centre after midnight without getting stabbed or mugged.