British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-06-24, 04:24 PM

Hi David, that's my one I own, bought in Australia!!
Old 27-06-24, 02:43 AM

Nice find mate. I remember watching the sale out of interest at the time.
I would rather have a slightly mothed version of a real one than a perfect copy anyday

Best regards,
David
Old 27-06-24, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Well that would certainly make the claim entirely spurious if it was him!

I had no idea he was ever a member here.
He is a real piece of work & I would never have anything to do with him but, honestly, he did know his badges & so I wouldn't disregard what he had to add to any previous badge discussion.
He spent many years researching them all & stealing the badge paperwork from the archives too!
He had one of the best & most in-depth RAF badge collections I have ever seen.

I only knew this as I followed him on different forums for many years under various names & then watched him slowly sell his collection to the world on eBay, over time also.
I would have loved to have bought some of it but unlike many at the time, I refused to even contact such a 'person', let alone buy from him.
Maybe they didn't know who he was? I sure hope so.

I did, however, print off much of his sales information as he wrote the sales descriptions up like he was preparing a forum post, with pictures of the badges in wear, as well as the Air Ministry order numbers, etc. because by that time he was banned from every forum worldwide & so he must have seen it as his RAF badge collection swan song?

Best regards,
David
Old 27-06-24, 12:16 PM

Back to the topic in hand.
I have the two originals, plus an unusual printed version thought to be for a wartime film production.
Regards
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20240627_120422456.PORTRAIT.jpg (78.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20240627_120538956.PORTRAIT~2.jpg (76.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20240627_120559824.PORTRAIT~2.jpg (102.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20240627_120547793.PORTRAIT~2.jpg (109.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 27-06-24, 02:07 PM

Hi Steve,

I know nothing about these badge but have always had a soft spot for printed cloth - that one is a really beauty - well done mate and thanks for sharing.

Cheerio,
Roy

Researcher, author & dealer in the Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 27-06-24, 04:38 PM

Without wishing to sound like a doubting Thomas what documentary evidence or provenance is there for those two patches being genuine?

All differ from the one shown in the 1941 photo and article.

Equally they all differ from the badge shown by SAS1 as one of his 3 claimed original types. Indeed SAS1 also says re the cloth...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
Its not really a good gap filler as originals were never made on dark blue. If you must get a repro gap filler at least go for one on blue/grey.
So something somewhere doesn’t add up.
Old 27-06-24, 09:38 PM

Eagle Squadron patches are discussed in length on the US military collectors forum site, both are recognised originals on there
I am happy both stated are originals if you disagree no problem whatsoever.
Ron Berkeley also has same type as my example listed on his site flying tiger antiques, which came from a known source "attributed to Ed Orbison of Sacramento California "
The printed is at present an unknown.
Regards steve

Last edited by arrestingu; 27-06-24 at 09:48 PM.
Old 27-06-24, 11:51 PM

I've never seen a printed version before. A very interesting badge!
I gather that the US guys were not concerned about the wide-spaced meshing to the rear of one of your examples? I would have thought it was a Patch King post-war made badge straight away but I have, for instance, seen some NZ made badges with a similar backing which are wartime so I always keep an open mind. Did the US guys state where they thought it may have been made please?

Best regards,
David
Old 28-06-24, 07:13 AM

Hi David,
Totally see where you are coming from, but not all rear mesh type backing like this is wrong, as you point out New Zealand used gauze backing as did some Canadian and South Africa manufacturers
I did a lot of research before buying it it's late 1940s Canadian made, later confirmed within the sale listing on Ron Berkeley excellent site.which I spotted after finding the patch.
David do check out the sites I have said, good information can be got from them regarding these patches and other US related insignia.
Much in-depth discussion on patches sourced direct from relatives or the vets themselves from some good knowledgeable individuals.
A similar one as my example is in the US for sale, link below.
The printed patch I find very interesting, I have not seen anything similar, no evidence of these being worn but presumed by one who suggested from a wartime film production, who knows ???

Cheers steve.

https://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/...1-sq-kifa.html

Last edited by arrestingu; 28-06-24 at 07:26 AM.
Old 29-06-24, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David191 View Post
I believe the badge in the first post is a copy also. They made many copies of these over the years & even for movies too.
They are a very rare badge to find & I have only ever seen two real badges for sale in many years, but I do not go chasing them either.
Of the two I have seen that I believe were correct, one was sold in France some years ago & the this one pictured turned up in Western Australia a few years back, from memory. Both to me were one lookers & worlds apart from the many copies out there.

Best regards,
David
Interesting the badge shown facing opposite to one's shown ,I assume they were issued as facing pairs?
Tony.
Old 29-06-24, 08:17 PM

Yes Tony, that is correct.
Cheers steve
Old 01-07-24, 01:27 AM

Thank you Steve.
I will have a good look at those sites for sure.

Best regards,
David