British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-05-24, 10:14 PM

Default 6th Airborne Division badges

I have been trying to close out the infantry element of my collection of 6th Airborne Division cap badges. After reading up on the LightBobs website - http://www.lightbobs.com/head-dress-...1882-1965.html - I had been holding out for a silvered Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry collar badge.

Then a few months back I paid a visit to the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum in Woodstock (well worth a visit) and saw the pictured badge on display. Now I know there are plenty of examples of re-struck and incorrect badges and militaria being placed on display in museums - but I realised I had also seen such a badge also being offered on eBay at the time, albeit with awful pictures clearly taken by an orbiting satellite!!

So how did I do? As pictured, a white metal collar sized strung horn badge, or might be plated as there is some brown colouration coming through with wear, with two aged copper D loops to the rear positioned East-West.

I would be interested to hear comments on whether this is a WWII era example badge suitable for wear on an Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry airborne beret?

Cheers......John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ox&BucksLI.jpg (61.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0784.jpg (120.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0785.jpg (122.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0786.jpg (112.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 21-05-24, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I have been trying to close out the infantry element of my collection of 6th Airborne Division cap badges. After reading up on the LightBobs website - http://www.lightbobs.com/head-dress-...1882-1965.html - I had been holding out for a silvered Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry collar badge.

Then a few months back I paid a visit to the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum in Woodstock (well worth a visit) and saw the pictured badge on display. Now I know there are plenty of examples of re-struck and incorrect badges and militaria being placed on display in museums - but I realised I had also seen such a badge also being offered on eBay at the time, albeit with awful pictures clearly taken by an orbiting satellite!!

So how did I do? As pictured, a white metal collar sized strung horn badge, or might be plated as there is some brown colouration coming through with wear, with two aged copper D loops to the rear positioned East-West.

I would be interested to hear comments on whether this is a WWII era example badge suitable for wear on an Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry airborne beret?

Cheers......John
Hi John,

To me it looks WW2 original. I have the exact same pattern. Except the lugs type.
I watched a lot of photos, and this is the right type worn by OX & Bucks during WW2. You can see many photos of veteran after war in normandy wearing the incorrect version on a bright green backing.
I guess they were not collectors like us and wore what they had.
Old 21-05-24, 01:04 PM

Default Ox & Bucks LI FSC

I recently acquired this OX & BUCKS LI Field Service Cap. Seems to be an other ranks type dating from just before and worn through WW2. The badge with two lugs appears to be plated and of the type subsequently worn on the maroon beret.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3613.jpg (23.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3614.jpg (46.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3616.jpg (45.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3620.jpg (37.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3617.jpg (32.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3618.jpg (26.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3619.jpg (27.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 22-05-24 at 11:39 AM.
Old 21-05-24, 08:01 PM

Here's Major John Howard's badge from the Pegasus museum. It appears to be plated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180823_144706 - kopie.jpg (118.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 21-05-24, 09:44 PM

Gentlemen thank you for your replies. Excellent news to hear I have hit the mark with this little badge.

Your badge Tim appears to have the same D shaped lugs. I recall salivating over it when you first showed it!

Thank you for posting Major Howard’s badge Luc, again it seems a good match.

Well that then completes my Airlanding Landing / infantry combat echelon badges of the 6th Airborne Division, so here is a ‘for fun’ shot…

Shaped Parachute Regiment cap badge with lugs;
Royal Ulster Regiment cap badge with slider maker marked F.N B’ham (my first ever purchase from this forum thanks to hindoostan);
Devonshire Regiment cap badge with slider (my first gifted badge as a boy from an ‘uncle’/family friend who served during WWII as an officer with the Devons in the Far East);
Ox&Bucks LI (from eBay);
Canadian Parachute Corps plastic cap badge with the pin, likely unissued given some of the plastic flashing still present (purchased from The Collectors Guild in Canada);
With an original 1945 Air Ministry account of the British Airborne Divisions’ then history (a gift from my wife!).

Cheers……John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0787.jpg (71.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 21-05-24, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Gentlemen thank you for your replies. Excellent news to hear I have hit the mark with this little badge.

Your badge Tim appears to have the same D shaped lugs. I recall salivating over it when you first showed it!

Thank you for posting Major Howard’s badge Luc, again it seems a good match.

Well that then completes my Airlanding Landing / infantry combat echelon badges of the 6th Airborne Division, so here is a ‘for fun’ shot…

Shaped Parachute Regiment cap badge with lugs;
Royal Ulster Regiment cap badge with slider maker marked F.N B’ham (my first ever purchase from this forum thanks to hindoostan);
Devonshire Regiment cap badge with slider (my first gifted badge as a boy from an ‘uncle’/family friend who served during WWII as an officer with the Devons in the Far East);
Ox&Bucks LI (from eBay);
Canadian Parachute Corps plastic cap badge with the pin, likely unissued given some of the plastic flashing still present (purchased from The Collectors Guild in Canada);
With an original 1945 Air Ministry account of the British Airborne Divisions’ then history (a gift from my wife!).

Cheers……John
Great collection John. The Canadian Parachute Corps plastic cap badge is rare to find and quite pricey. A lot of fake ones out there.
Old 22-05-24, 12:55 AM

Up the Ox & Bucks!
Old 22-05-24, 12:13 PM

Thank you elwe, that Canadian badge is indeed one of the highest value items in my collections, exceeding even some of the much sought after US Army airborne DUI I have. But my 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment cap badge has been my most expensive purchase so far!

wardog - Indeed! In fact my family and I will be commemorating their exploits with a visit to Pegasus Bridge, the Merville Battery and Drop Zone K on the 5/6 June for the Normandy 80th anniversary!

Cheers……John
Old 23-05-24, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Thank you elwe, that Canadian badge is indeed one of the highest value items in my collections, exceeding even some of the much sought after US Army airborne DUI I have. But my 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment cap badge has been my most expensive purchase so far!

wardog - Indeed! In fact my family and I will be commemorating their exploits with a visit to Pegasus Bridge, the Merville Battery and Drop Zone K on the 5/6 June for the Normandy 80th anniversary!

Cheers……John
Indeed. I didn't know the CACR cap badge at all.
Well then I will see on the evening of the 5th at Pegasus John.
There are other forum members that will be there. I might create a post for it, in case some wanna meet. It's gonna be busy.
Old 23-05-24, 07:59 AM

A nice badge, are you aware of the letter I've attached?
Hope this helps.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5930163.jpg (50.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 23-05-24, 11:39 PM

Thank you Chris. Certainly the Ox&Bucks were wearing silvered badges in the early part of the war. I wonder then at what point these white metal badges started to appear, doubtless a wartime economy thing. But then my understanding is silver wasn't a restricted material during WWII, so if that were the case they could of continued silvering brass collar badges as desired.

Cheers......John
Old 23-05-24, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe23 View Post
Well then I will see on the evening of the 5th at Pegasus John.
There are other forum members that will be there. I might create a post for it, in case some wanna meet. It's gonna be busy.
Hello elwe, that would be great, albeit I will have my 7-year old in tow, so it will be Drop Zone K on the 5th for the afternoon parachute drops and then an early night for the craziness of the main day, perhaps via the Tiger tank!

We were planning to go to Gold Beach on the 6th, but we decided we did not fancy a 5am mad dash to beat all the police road closures at 6am with no guarantee of success! So we will skirt round Caen and spend the day at Merville and try to walk from Ranville to the bridge to soak up the atmosphere of the 'Maroon Machine' in action!!

Cheers......John
Old 25-05-24, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Hello elwe, that would be great, albeit I will have my 7-year old in tow, so it will be Drop Zone K on the 5th for the afternoon parachute drops and then an early night for the craziness of the main day, perhaps via the Tiger tank!

We were planning to go to Gold Beach on the 6th, but we decided we did not fancy a 5am mad dash to beat all the police road closures at 6am with no guarantee of success! So we will skirt round Caen and spend the day at Merville and try to walk from Ranville to the bridge to soak up the atmosphere of the 'Maroon Machine' in action!!

Cheers......John
Yes, the 6th is gonna be awful madness. I was planning to go to Ouistreham early morning for the commando but don't want to be trapped all day so gonna stay around Amfreville, Bréville, Pegasus, Merville.
Where are you staying ?
What's the tiger tank is it a place ?
Old 26-05-24, 09:35 AM

Yes, it’s a shame, as I picked up something about one of the Commando associations coming in by landing craft east of Gold Beach and then doing a yomp, so would have liked to see that. But not to be.

We are in a gite near Tilly-sur-Seulles, so well out of the control zone, but cut off from the four beaches the VIPs will go to by the police closure of the N13.

The Tiger Tank is an actual Tiger Tank! Located at Char Tigre, La Butte du Sap, 61120 Vimoutiers, France (marked on Google maps). Picture below.

Cheers……John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0814.jpg (82.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-06-24, 09:01 PM

Pictures from the D-Day 80th commemoration airborne drop at Sannerville, Normandy this afternoon of the 5th June. Mainly British Parachute Regiment jumping from A400M, but also Belgian Special Forces Group and USAF PJs.

Cheers……John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0892.jpg (42.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0894.jpg (112.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0898.jpg (45.4 KB, 16 views)