British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-14, 12:49 AM

Default Stupid Question..?

Greetings Gentlemen,

Disclaimer….if this is a stupid question then please feel free to ignore it. But as I was always told the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, so in that vain..

I am developing an interest in Canadian badges and was chatting about this to a Canadian contact who to my surprise and dismay did his utmost to convince me I should run a mile and not go anywhere near collecting Canadian badge! His reasoning being that it is a terrible time to get into such an area due to all the fakes and re strikes. I'm never one to heed advice that tries to push me away from something I might enjoy, so I'm not put off. However it did get me thinking and I was wondering if any experienced collectors have any 'Idiot Proof' advice? Something simple like "here is a pic of one that is right and here is a pic of one that is wrong".

I'm sure I can go through many old threads and may indeed do that too but just incase there is some real basic 'black & white' advice someone is willing to share I would love to hear it.

Best wishes, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 13-05-14, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

No idiot proof advice. Are you going to focus on a particular period? CEF? Pre-1914? Post 1953? CF era? Or a general collection, spanning all eras? Either way, hands on, and look at lots of badges. The reproduction problem is not really bad for most Canadian badges, but there are some out there. The CEF in particular has been subject to a lot of copying. The best is to study the Galleries. (Top right corner on Forum pages.)
Other members should have lots more ideas.
Old 13-05-14, 02:56 AM

Hi Bill,

Sound advice indeed. I'm not looking at a specific period, conflict or unit but just to collect badges that I find a joy to own. Probably no newer than WWII though as I enjoy history and items with a little age.

I have always liked being a beginner, it's nice to learn a new topic and expand ones knowledge. I also know a couple of collectors/dealer that I trust, so I'm not too worried but keen to learn as I said.

Many thanks, Roy.

Old 13-05-14, 03:21 AM

hi roy
there will never be a better time than now to start collecting these badges.
yes they are expensive, yes they are copied but this isnt going to get any better. probably get worse.
research is the key, and i would suggest particularly in your infancy to put your purchases or prospective purchases up on this forum. best advise and knowledgable heads you wont find anywhere else.
looking forward to seeing your new collection
bc
Old 13-05-14, 04:07 AM

Roy: I'd argue that it's an ideal time to get started. More than a few recent hoards being unearthed and flogged have drop kicked prices for a lot of middle of the road badges into the bottom of the bargain bin. As for repros, I think there is more fear of the fear of repros than fear of the real (or not so real) thing. In the realm of 20s-50s badges, repros are not that prolific, or at least any that would fool anyone other than a blind cat or an unnamed acquaintance of mine, and the ones that are bothersome are very well documented. When in doubt, just ask.
Old 13-05-14, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Roy: I'd argue that it's an ideal time to get started. More than a few recent hoards being unearthed and flogged have drop kicked prices for a lot of middle of the road badges into the bottom of the bargain bin. As for repros, I think there is more fear of the fear of repros than fear of the real (or not so real) thing. In the realm of 20s-50s badges, repros are not that prolific, or at least any that would fool anyone other than a blind cat or an unnamed acquaintance of mine, and the ones that are bothersome are very well documented. When in doubt, just ask.
I'm afraid I find this one of the biggest problems with the hobby nowadays, value! what does it matter if the prices have dropped? Does this make the collecting any less interesting? The major problem to my mind is the number of people who put a monetary value on their badges, whatever happened to collecting for pleasure and not for profit?
Old 13-05-14, 07:09 AM

Hi, it certainly makes it a lot cheaper, which to a lot of people means more enjoyable , best wishes Mike
Old 13-05-14, 12:28 PM

I totally agree with REMEVMBEA1's sentiments

Isn’t a hobby supposed to be an enjoyable and theraputic escape from the pressures of everyday life?

Mine is.

If I were to constantly monitor its’ commercial value against cost, then I would be exposing the spirit of the hobby to those very pressures I’m trying to get away from.

Paul
Old 13-05-14, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
I'm afraid I find this one of the biggest problems with the hobby nowadays, value! what does it matter if the prices have dropped? Does this make the collecting any less interesting? The major problem to my mind is the number of people who put a monetary value on their badges, whatever happened to collecting for pleasure and not for profit?
I don't recall using the words 'value' or 'profit'. I read lots of comment about the hobby being too expensive for beginners, though; just troll the forum. My point is that for beginning collectors, cost isn't the same issue as it was a year or two back, and prices are very reasonable for the majority of 20s to 50s Canadian badges. If your biggest problem is 'the number of people who put monetary value on their badges', my point still stands.
Old 13-05-14, 02:21 PM

Hi Gents,

Many thanks for your posts and comments. All of which I'm finding most helpful and interesting.

I'm very pleased at all the encouragement and Dave I think your comment about "fear of the fear" is very apt. I don't worry too much at all about such thing. This wonderful forum, the willingness of experienced collectors to so eagerly share and knowing a handful of dealer I trust, all makes me excited to explore a new area.

Reme, Mike & Paul...yes I agree, we put so much time into our respective passions the money often seems a secondary issue. Yes we do have to lay out some funds in the first instance but I soon forget how much I paid for something once I get all the enjoyment time and time again from owning it and sharing the experience and/or item with friends and fellow collectors. Collecting has always brought me great joy throughout my life and this has never waned.

I'm very much looking forward to sharing what I find with you all. In fact I have a wonderful badge on the way, hopefully it will be with me by the end of the week. I'm also looking forward to hearing all your thoughts, comments and any advice.

Look forward to chatting more. Roy.

Old 13-05-14, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Roy, the bottom line is to enjoy your collecting. Repros, shady vendors, unethical transactions are found in every type of collecting. Understanding these exist and using them in guiding our hobby activities is part of collecting.
And the Forum is here to assist in your collecting. Hope to see your acquisitions.

Last edited by Bill A; 13-05-14 at 02:44 PM. Reason: fumble fingers
Old 13-05-14, 02:38 PM

Hi Bill,

Thank you for that, sounds words indeed.

I have always been so impressed with this forum and the many fine collectors who have been so helpful to me over the years, so I do indeed feel comfortable and confident that it IS the place to be. Such a venue (for me) offsets any negative issues there may be out in the market place.

All the best, Roy.

Old 13-05-14, 04:08 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello Roy,

From what I have seen so far, you haven't done too bad ??

I am collecting some of the more expensive badges as well, it's nice to handle quality ( no inference to O/R's badges being inferior ?? )

Enjoy what you are doing but only part with your money when you are sure of the validity of a badge.

Dave.
Old 13-05-14, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
I don't recall using the words 'value' or 'profit'. I read lots of comment about the hobby being too expensive for beginners, though; just troll the forum. My point is that for beginning collectors, cost isn't the same issue as it was a year or two back, and prices are very reasonable for the majority of 20s to 50s Canadian badges. If your biggest problem is 'the number of people who put monetary value on their badges', my point still stands.

I wasn't aiming my remarks at you or anyone in particular it's just that I find far too many posts which run along the lines of What's this and what's it worth? I collect for the joy of collecting and feel that's the best way to do it, as a hobby not a money making enterprise although with the proliferation of antique and collectors shows on TV it seems that monetary value is fast become the criteria.
Old 13-05-14, 07:12 PM

Roy
Waiting for the postman. That was me today as excited as I was 40 years ago.
We are lucky to have this hobby.
Hope he delivers yours soon
Paul