British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-10, 08:55 PM

Default Druze Regiment

Hi

Has anyone any ideas on this one. The Arabic reads Al Katiba al Dirziya which translates as The Druze Regiment.

The Druze live mostly in Palestine, Lebanon and Syria. It's not Palestine so ...?

Eddie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpgu05HxPM.jpg (42.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 18-02-10, 09:17 AM

nice one Eddie....
Old 27-02-10, 05:10 PM

What's not immediately obvious from the photo - or indeed until after a little careful cleaning - is the quality of the piece. The Star and Crescent are white metal possibly coinage silver and the crown is fine gilt. Now if i could just pin it down. Perhaps on my next trip to Lebanon.
Old 27-02-10, 07:07 PM

Hi Eddie, just to add my two cents here. The crown looks very close to the Jordanian crown, maybe an avenue to explore,since Jordan has a small Druze population.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 28-02-10, 03:04 AM

Eddie,
Just had a look at Echo of the Bugle by Marcel Roubicek subtitled extinct military and contabulary forces in Palestine and Transjordan 1915-1967 and can see no mention of the Drewze Regiment. As you say the jebel Drewze stradles Syria and Lebanon as well as Jordan. Perhaps the regiment is Lebanese or Syrian. Perhaps a 1950s badge as in Arabic? Sorry but I am out of my depth with this one. It looks well made and quite a bit of detail so must be a serious unit.
Rgds Quicksilver
Old 04-04-12, 01:32 PM

Well I've finally tracked it down - The British Druze Regiment. Taken over from the French in 1942 - may have been absorbed into the Transjordan Frontier Force at a later date!

Found this in the IWM catalogue:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Druze Regt copy.jpg (80.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-04-12, 02:17 PM

Congrats on your very interesting find Eddie.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 06-04-12, 06:08 AM
button_guru

You may be interested in this French badge:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...117#post162117

Rgds,
button_guru
Old 06-04-12, 06:44 AM
button_guru

Eddie,
Since my previous posting, I've became inquisitive about something in the badge; the crown. The two most common Arabic - Middle Eastern/North African crowns, are either topped by a crescent or a 'spear-head'. The only other crown I know with a star on top is that of Morocco. But the composition of the crown itself differs. Interesting! Could this be just licence by the badge designer and just a coincidence?
Rgds,
button_guru
----------------------------------
Buttons aren't just a hobby............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Morocco.jpg (40.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-04-12, 08:04 AM

I was wondering if the crown related to the short lived Kingdom of Syria just post WW! before Faisal was kicked out by the French?
Eddie
Old 06-04-12, 08:41 AM
button_guru

I don't think that there's any relation as according to a flag on this site: http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/sy1920k.html, the crown on the Royal Standard is the Hashemite type as for Iraq and Jordan, with the 'spike' or 'spear head' at top.
I've also checked the lineage of the Moroccan royal house and there no reference to kin, since theirs was established back in the 12th century.
Rgds.