British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-10-20, 02:53 PM

Paddy,
Great summary, your badge No4, a handful of these have turned up in the past year or so, never seen one before ‘Personal Distinctions’ was published and assume. The couple I have seen up close appear to be recently joined together.
Yours
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Hi Lois

Very nice picture and nice to see this specific badge being worn. The badge is one worn by the Royal Marines Engineers, a unit formed in early 1918 and I believe disbanded shortly after the end of WWI. If you get access to the book "Personal Distinctions" by John Rawlinson there is a section about the RME on pages 190 & 191 with some pictures of the badge you posted being worn on page 191. He is definitely not an officer as their badges were 2 part bronze with the letters RME on the grenade part. The 2 part gilding metal badge you have pictured seems to be attributed to corporals in the RME. There is also a one part badge which appears to be attributed to privates and pioneers. I have pictured a few of the badges I have below. First badge is the bronze officer's version, second is the 2 part corporal's badge and the third one is a representation of the 1 piece private's badge. I have also posted a fourth badge which I have not been able to verify yet but thought I would show just so you can have an idea of the variations in this small short lived unit.

Paddy
Old 27-10-20, 08:52 PM

John

I wonder where I got most of the information from. My badge number 4 was picked up in 2014 I believe which is round about the time you published Personal Distinctions I believe. It was bought in a lot with other genuine army badges and it was not individually identified. I have seen a lot of the one piece ones on ebay and have never liked them but this one is of a different construction than any of the other ones I have seen. I have attached a picture of the back of the badge so you can see it is not a 1 piece strike like the ebay ones and this one has also had a brooch pin fitted at some time although now missing. This one is in my pending drawer and has been since I bought it as I can't be sure about it's authenticity.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN8053.jpg (61.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 27-10-20, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

The ebay ones are one piece fakes. This was an unofficial badge made up by a collar badge and a grenade s/t.

They were 2 part because it was made up of 2 parts. Later one the s/t had the lugs cut off and locally fixed to the collar. I would have yours, but not a one piece badge, in my collection
Old 28-10-20, 09:16 AM

Paddy
Fascinating, it looks to have been brooch mounted as well at some point. The globe and laurels are from an unusual die that so far I’ve only seen used for RMLI. Would like to see the tips of the laurels under glass.

I think with the RME series of badges you pays your money and takes your chances, they were field made and given the nature of the unit they were handy with tools but sadly so are the fakers. They are a bit similar to the RMSM badge quandary - I have a group photo that shows some wearing the ‘skinny’ globe and laurel, some wearing an RMLI cap badge and others wearing an RMLI cap badge with the strings removed - I have all three badges but no idea on the last when the strings were removed.

I’d certainly keep hold of it, one day there will be an affordable test for looking at the composition of the metals.

John

Quote:
John

I wonder where I got most of the information from. My badge number 4 was picked up in 2014 I believe which is round about the time you published Personal Distinctions I believe. It was bought in a lot with other genuine army badges and it was not individually identified. I have seen a lot of the one piece ones on ebay and have never liked them but this one is of a different construction than any of the other ones I have seen. I have attached a picture of the back of the badge so you can see it is not a 1 piece strike like the ebay ones and this one has also had a brooch pin fitted at some time although now missing. This one is in my pending drawer and has been since I bought it as I can't be sure about it's authenticity.

Paddy
Old 28-10-20, 09:19 AM

Hi Lois
Could you share his name and service number, I’ll be able to get his papers which will tell us a lot more
Thanks
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
Hello all

I have a photo of my great uncle (attached) taken during WWI I believe. He is wearing a cap badge that I haven’t been able to identify. He lived in County Durham so I had assumed Durham Light Infantry or Northumberland Fusiliers but the badge doesn’t appear to match either of these. Can anyone help?

Many thanks.
Old 28-10-20, 09:23 AM

Quote:
John

I wonder where I got most of the information from
Since it was published I’ve seen a handful of new RME images, including their band!!!, so am currently re-researching these.

Incidentally towards the end of next year the RMHS is publishing a supplement of new badges and corrections, any info gratefully received.
Old 28-10-20, 09:32 AM

Quote:
John

I wonder where I got most of the information from
Since it was published I’ve seen a handful of new RME images, including their band!!!, so am currently re-researching these.

Incidentally towards the end of next year the RMHS is publishing a supplement of new badges and corrections, any info gratefully received.
Old 28-10-20, 09:56 AM

I have photographs of three Royal Naval Division Engineers in my collection, all ex R.E.. Sadly none are wearing distinctive R.N.D.E. cap badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RNDE 001.jpg (30.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RNDE 002.jpg (44.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg RNDE 003.jpg (49.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 28-10-20, 09:57 AM

Second.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RNDE 004.jpg (31.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg RNDE 005.jpg (29.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RNDE 006.jpg (35.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 28-10-20, 09:58 AM

Third.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RNDE 009.jpg (40.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg RNDE 007.jpg (52.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg RNDE 008.jpg (47.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 28-10-20, 10:46 AM

Roll out my old photos again - detail from a pair of photos, one labelled as " RME Concert Party, Bedenham, 1919".
I haven't got the originals to hand.
Three officers wearing OSD RME grenade over globe and laurel cap badges, the other OSD crossed cannons above globe and laurel, not mentioned in K&K.
I'm not sure if the seated man wearing the "collar badge" cap badge is wearing some form of insignia on his shoulder straps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-2272-125310763035.jpg (32.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg post-2272-125310710343.jpg (10.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg post-2272-125310690553.jpg (14.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 28-10-20, 08:20 PM

John

A few extra close up pictures of the laurel leaf ends area. In one of the pics from the back you can see that the left hand edge (viewed from the back) has broken away but it is a very straight break which looks like it could well have come from one of the unusual variation RMLI badges. I have also attached a picture of one of those unusual variation RMLI badges.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8159.jpg (28.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8164.jpg (31.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8165.jpg (28.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg The Royal Marines Light Infantry Puggaree Badge (GM)(Slider).jpg (85.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg The Royal Marines Light Infantry Puggaree Badge (GM)(Slider)(Rear).jpg (72.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 28-10-20, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Third.
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing
Old 04-12-20, 11:05 PM

I was shown a version of these a couple of days ago, genuine globe and laurel, genuine grenade but when were they joined, looks old work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D1B6B5C2-CFC2-4945-93DA-323BA89E84FD.jpeg (31.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpeg 572D6D06-79CB-4756-B1C7-CD41B3B9CC1C.jpeg (30.7 KB, 11 views)