British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-09, 10:55 PM

Default Glamorgan Yeomanry

Can anyone help on this one. I have an Officers' coloured FS cap to the above (shown below) which is missing the two small regimental buttons to the neck flap.
If anyone does have any of these buttons hanging around I would be most intersted to hear from them.
I've uplodaded my GIY & GY badges into an album for those who may be interested.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (40.5 KB, 168 views)
Old 28-01-09, 04:22 PM

I hope to learn something from this thread, the badge shown on the FS cap is very like the 2nd Btn Monmouthshire Regt. Did the officers of the Glamorgan Yeomanry wear this badge as opposed to the POW feathers etc?
Old 28-01-09, 10:00 PM

Other way around in fact.
Don't forget that the Monmouthshire were not separated from the SWB until 1908.
The Glam Yeo dating officially as an Imperial unit from 1901.
Whilst the 1st, 2nd & 3rd Mons all wore their own silver, and in the case of the 2nd & 3rd Battns their own bronzed versions, I have not seen any hard evidence for the 1st Battn Mons wearing this pattern bronze badge.
A good enthusiatic Mons friend of mine is adamant that the 1st Battn did wear this pattern, however I have yet to see the proof.
The question of course is what did they wear on the SD cap? I think it was a green cord boss with the dragon on, but have yet to confirm this.
Examples of both the GY and Mon badges can be veiwed in my albums.
Hwyl fawr,
XLI
Old 28-01-09, 10:48 PM

Default Glamorgan Yeo

Thanks 41st,
Looked at your album and what a nice collection of badges, very well presented. Forgot that the Monmouths only came into being in 1908.
Old 01-02-09, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Other way around in fact.
Don't forget that the Monmouthshire were not separated from the SWB until 1908.
The Glam Yeo dating officially as an Imperial unit from 1901.
Whilst the 1st, 2nd & 3rd Mons all wore their own silver, and in the case of the 2nd & 3rd Battns their own bronzed versions, I have not seen any hard evidence for the 1st Battn Mons wearing this pattern bronze badge.
A good enthusiatic Mons friend of mine is adamant that the 1st Battn did wear this pattern, however I have yet to see the proof.
The question of course is what did they wear on the SD cap? I think it was a green cord boss with the dragon on, but have yet to confirm this.
Examples of both the GY and Mon badges can be veiwed in my albums.
Hwyl fawr,
XLI
Hi Kevin
I was also was intrigued by this one and thanks for the explanation. Your knowledge and collection of Welsh Regiments and badges really is impressive. Keep up the good work! I doubt very much if anybody has the Welsh Regimental collection of badges and knowledge as good as you have! I shall certaintly look out for the buttons you require when I soon visit my home county up north.
Diolch i chwi ynwaith eto am ddangos y gorau o Gymru.
Hwyl
Wyndham
Old 17-08-09, 09:25 AM

Default Monmouths side cap

This is very similar to the side caps used when I was in the Monmouthire ACF Late 60's
Old 17-08-09, 11:53 PM

Looks very similar to a R.A.P.C. /R.C.T. cap with Glamorgan Yeomanry badge attached. Cheers Sean.
Old 13-06-10, 03:54 PM

Gents
Following on from a thread by Badgecollector and a reply by 41st, I have revisited 41st's album on the Glamorgan Yeomanry today, but I'm still unclear when the two badges below would have been worn (assuming the OSD is a Glamorgan Yeomanry badge and not 1st Mons). I'm guessing the POW feathers superceded the Welsh Dragon..................

Can 41st or anyone with knowledge of the Glamorgan Yeomanry put me right. I would be very grateful.

(41st, do you think the dew claw that sticks up on the outside hind leg of the dragon has any significance - I haven't seen this on other badges purporting to be either 1st Mons or Glamorgan Yeo - perhaps just a makers variation?).

Thanks
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glamorgan Yeo Front.jpg (42.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg ScannedImage-4.jpg (30.3 KB, 129 views)
Old 13-06-10, 05:15 PM
LYPAO Boff

I think the O/Rs is post 1920?

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 13-06-10, 07:36 PM

Mark,
As Griff has already pointed out, the left hand badge is purporting to be an ORs post 1920 pattern example.
However, despite the sweat holes to the rear of the title scroll I think it's a modern copy. If you compare it with the one shown in my album you will see the differences. The pattern of yours is the same as the many common copies offered for sale.
The Dragon is an Officer only badge worn from 1902 up until 1938 on service dress. They wore embroidered Dragons on No.1 dress.
As to the dew claw it just looks like a burr that hasn't been removed. Dew claws are at the back of the leg anyway (I have two hunting dogs).
Hope that helps.
Kevin
Old 14-06-10, 12:30 PM

Hello Griff and Kevin

Thank you gents for the dates, I appreciate the replies.

Kevin I understand your feelings about the OR's as I've always had my suspicions and now they are confirmed. I will check against your album tonight after work. There does appear to be a number of badges, yeomanry and cavalry in particular, doing the rounds with sweat holes that just aren't the full ticket.

Far from me to argue with a Welshman about the positioning of dew claws on dragons, but again yes it is probably just a burr.

One thing I do miss being here is the shooting syndicates I belonged to in Aberdeenshire. So good luck with the dogs.

Thanks again
Mark
Old 14-06-10, 02:24 PM

Mark,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It is a worry that copy badges are now being put out with sweat holes.
Just a quick guide to the Glamorgan Yeomanry badges is that the feathers should have some 'depth' and not lie flat. It will make sense when you compare real and copy in hand.

Kevin

Last edited by Alan O; 25-09-10 at 10:51 AM.
Old 25-08-11, 08:15 PM

Default New Arrivals

I've aquired a few new examples to this unit and thought I'd post them before I rebuild the album.

The 1st & 2nd show a lugged post 1908 pattern example with the erased central title scroll. Unusual in that it is still lugged but as a small territorial unit not unheard of in not converting to shanks/sliders by that time.

For comparison I've shown a shanked example of the same pattern in 3 & 4.

Note the faint outline of the 'Ich Dien' to the motto scrolls of the PoW plumes. This unit did not use the motto as part of their badge and it shows that the manufacturer only partly blanked it off.

5&6 show a blackened version with the motto clearly visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22.08.11 005.jpg (92.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 22.08.11 007.jpg (101.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 22.08.11 010.jpg (102.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 22.08.11 011.jpg (104.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 22.08.11 014.jpg (102.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 22.08.11 016.jpg (103.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 17-02-14, 08:29 PM

As I'm now finally getting around to rebuilding my Glamorgan Yeomanry album I thought I'd put up a couple of posts as I go clarifying what was worn and when, as well as showing what's right and wrong.

Staring with the 1903 sealed pattern, which was worn with only slight alterations up until the issue of the 1922 artillery pattern:-

1. Genuine OR's 1903 pattern bi-metal cap badge - front.
2. Modern copy - front.
3. Genuine OR's 1903 pattern bi-metal cap badge - rear.
4. Modern copy - rear.

As can be seen there is very little by way of similarity between the two patterns with the style of the plumes on the original being much deeper and better defined, the scrolls on the original separate from the bottom title scroll on the genuine example, the style of the crowns being wholly different and the ghost impression of the PoW's motto just visible on the title scrolls of the genuine example for starters.

In my opinion the modern copy has been modelled on the later 1922 pattern badge which it more closely resembles.

In addition I have yet to see a 1903 pattern, with the central "Imperial" intact on a slider. All examples to date being on lugs. That is not to say they don't exist, just that I haven't seen one.

After conversion to Territorial Yeomanry in 1908 the badges are found with partially erased central motto scrolls as shown in 5 & 6 below. The Lambourne variants do not have the partially erased title, rather a clear seeded central scroll.

They are found with both lugs and sliders on the post 1908 examples, see 5 & 6 below.

I'll deal with the Leek and Plume that was worn on the slouch hat c.1905-1908 under a separate post.

Hwyl fawr,
Kevin

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05467.jpg (92.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05465.jpg (109.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05471.jpg (97.8 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05466.jpg (117.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05485.jpg (80.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05493.jpg (96.1 KB, 98 views)
Old 18-02-14, 10:05 AM

Hi Kevin,

I would like to contribute to this thread by adding some badges from my collection. I have a 1903-1908 badge with a slider. It looks as though the centre scroll has been rubbed down to lessen the word 'Imperial' possibly indicating that it was in fact worn by the user after the unit lost the Imperial status. I also have a Lambourne 1908 badge that seems by comparison a lower quality badge than it's predecessor and a post great war badge (1922). That badge has four circular brazing holes and yellow brass braise fixing the slider to the badge. Note that the slider is tapered.

Regards,

Garry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1413.jpg (79.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1417.jpg (67.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1416.jpg (60.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1414.jpg (65.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1419.jpg (78.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1418.jpg (67.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1415.jpg (77.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1421.jpg (75.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1420.jpg (62.8 KB, 49 views)

Tags
glamorgan, yeomanry