British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-06-12, 11:30 AM

Default "Mercury fired"?

Hi

I saw this listing but do not know the term used.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Saskatchewan-...item3f18c5aee9

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Is this the process that results in the goldy-looking badges?

Thanks.

regards
Darrell
Old 16-06-12, 12:10 PM

Yes it refers to the gold plating process, also known as fire gilding.

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 16-06-12, 12:50 PM

In the past gold was mixed with mercury to form a liquid and the liquid mixture was applied to items to be gilded ( gold plated) . The item was then subjected to heat which evaporated the mercury and left a plating of very bright gold on the item.

The problem was that the fumes produced in the process were highly poisonous and why the process is no longer used ( although not so long ago I think it was still possible to get items fire gilded in some third world countries - dont know if that is still the case )

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-06-12, 07:21 PM

Hi Thomas and P.B.

Thank you for your responses. Informative.

WRT Cdn badges, was this a common practice? I recall seeing one other like this (an RCD capbadge with a solid flat rear) and thought to be a phake. I've not seenmany others but may not have looking too hard as badges aren't my central theme.

regards
Darrell
Old 16-06-12, 08:53 PM

Fire gilt badges are more confined to officer badges. Canadian OR badges do have a gilt wash but it is most likely wet or chem. gilding. See this link for the process for different types.
Old 17-06-12, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
In the past gold was mixed with mercury to form a liquid and the liquid mixture was applied to items to be gilded ( gold plated) . The item was then subjected to heat which evaporated the mercury and left a plating of very bright gold on the item.

The problem was that the fumes produced in the process were highly poisonous and why the process is no longer used ( although not so long ago I think it was still possible to get items fire gilded in some third world countries - dont know if that is still the case )

P.B.
Hi PB

Another long lost art. I have tried to find someone who still does this in Asia, without success - so far. There is someone in Hong Kong apparently, but still researching this avenue. In the meantime, I have located someone in Paris (of all places!), and have sent an item as an experiment. His specialty is furniture, metal items such as mirrors etc, not badges.

When I get the results, I will post for info

Cheers, Neil