British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-09, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
Alan you raise a good point. I believe the attached is a true 14th Bn badge. Please note it is a little different to the standard F&F badge variants in that the Knight's (Thane's) plumes fall almost vertically. The slider on this badge is unmarked as you would expect and has a distinct crease at the top.

The spaces between the horses rear legs as well as the space above the reins are solid.
Hi Mark,
the badge you describe matches exactly the image shown in Bloomers for the usual F&FY badge of the 14th bn Black Watch. The only differance is the badge has the ploom more horizontal. With the slender proportions of the plume i would say it has been bent vertical rather than struck that way.
Cheers, Dave
Old 13-08-09, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Chaps,

Many thanks. It appears that my scepticism about some delaer's offerings are well founded. The Bloomers all brass badge is noticably different from the standard wm ones.

Alan
Old 13-08-09, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chaps,

Many thanks. It appears that my scepticism about some delaer's offerings are well founded. The Bloomers all brass badge is noticably different from the standard wm ones.

Alan
I am not sure if it is clear cut as that Alan. Bloomers fig 283 standard F&FY in wm is the same style as the 14th bn Black watch fig 284 except 284 is in brass. Fig 282 in copper 1908 - 1956 is the one that is differant but i would suspect with the overlap of timescale of 282 & 283 it is more to do with manufacturers variation i would suspect.

Cheers, Dave
Old 13-08-09, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

In that case I would definately like to see a period datable photo of the brass badge in use by the 14th Bn before parting with anything more than a few pounds for one!

Alan
Old 13-08-09, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
In that case I would definately like to see a period datable photo of the brass badge in use by the 14th Bn before parting with anything more than a few pounds for one!

Alan
I agree with you with regards to the number of supposed `economy` badges. The photographic evidence might be interesting with B&W photos but i would suspect the uniform and distinctions on it would be differant from the yeomanry units.

Don`t you just love the twists and turns of badge collecting?

Keep smiling, Dave
Old 14-08-09, 06:55 AM

Well Signalman you've open a 'reet' can of worms.

Dave, oh heck so both Signalman and I have bent badges (as in squashed not stolen).

I've just looked at some recent back copies of Bosleys's Postal Auction Catalouge and in Aug 08 there is a 14th Bn badge which appears from the photograph to be solid between the horse's legs. Is this a sign of a 14th Bn badge or just a manufacturers variation. The w/m badges I have which are ascribed to the F&FY (pre beret) are all void between the horse's legs (as is Phil's).

Definately going to have to get Santa to bring me Bloomers (I have their other one), but working out at something like 30p a page from Amazon or Abe Books, its expensive!
Mark
Old 14-08-09, 07:03 PM

Can of worms seems right Mark.Im of to Scotland in a couple of weeks,Cupar infact and i shall try and get an appointment to view the F and F museum,take my badge and see if i can get any info.Regards.Phil.
Old 14-08-09, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Bloomer shows a brass badge that is made in a simpler way. There are a few explanations for this.

Number one is it is a badge bought by the yeomanry for a particular order of dress. Possible especially as the pre war units often had 'exotic' headgear.

Number 2 - The 14th bn of the BW rather oddly changed their wm badge to reflect they were now BW. Why a brass badge as the BW had a wm badge as well? Unlikely. If the BW had their way then the Bn would have wore BW badges! Why would the yeo change their badge unless they were told to?

Number 3 - the 14th Bn being in the Middle East had a badge made for tropical headgear (solar toppee?) This is not unheard of as the 14th londons had a differnet privately bought badge for their toppees. The fact that the badge is cheaply made with solid legs etc would indicate a private purchase rather than a Wd agreed variation. However the regtl history shows FSH worn with out any cap badge.

Number 4 - (The one dealers want you to believe) The ACD had wm badges made in brass from 1916 to save nickel. Therefore any brass badge must be an economy version. As the F&F Yeo were 14 Bn BW in 1917 any brass badge variant is an 'economy' badge and therefore this one is worth lots as it must be a BW badge. Very unlikely.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 31-08-19 at 08:55 AM.

Tags
fie and forfar, yeomanry