British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-11, 02:23 PM

Default Hello from a newbie

Hi there

My name is Ron and I live in Perth, Australia. My collecting interests are Commonwealth infantry and military police cap badges (current issue ones at first), police cap badges/helmet plates and patches from Commonwealth law enforcement agencies (Police, customs, etc, again just looking for current issue ones at the moment)

Look forward to learning lots from what appear to be a very knowledgeable group.

Regards

Ron
Old 06-07-11, 03:07 PM

Hi Ron,
You may want to check marway militaria in Canada http://www.marway-militaria.com/about.php
Wayne has a lot of police badges for sale.
Cheers,
Pieter
Old 06-07-11, 03:37 PM

A very warm welcome Ron, and please let me know if you are likely to be at Karrakatta any time soon. I would like an update on 10LH at Es Salt Barracks.

Regards,

john
Old 06-07-11, 04:53 PM

Hello Ron,

Welcome indeed, nice to have yet another collector with diverse interest on board.

Best wishes, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 07-07-11, 04:35 PM

Thanks for the welcome everyone, have already started learning from many of the members on the forum.

JohnG, been a long time since I have been down near XLH's lines (I was in 16RWAR between 1986 -92 and our lines were next door to theirs), if there is any info you want to know about the "Turretheads", I am sure I can find out for you

regards

Ron
Old 07-07-11, 08:40 PM

Hi Ron
a warm welcome and enjoy the forum
regards julian
Old 08-07-11, 04:06 PM

Default XLH Karrakatta

Hi Ron,

If you are around the XLH Lines at Karrakatta please take a look and see if there is a lilac bush growing in centre of the grass patch outside the entrance to Es Salt Barracks.

In 1958, not long after the regiment moved from Victoria Park to Karrakatta, the then Adjutant (From 1 Armd Regt) had a slip from a lilac bush planted. Naturally in the hot WA sun it would not stand a chance if left alone, so we surrounded it with a fence made from hessian which we kept wet, and gave it a lot of TLC.

I cannot remember whether the wet hessian was to take advantage of any breeze blowing though it in order to cool the plant, or to create a greenhouse effect within the small circle of hessian, perhaps it was both.

When I last saw it in August 1959, a year after being planted, it was still a small plant, but was established.

Probably the hot sun eventually got it, and as it is fifty one years since we planted it, perhaps it died of old age.......but......just possibly.......there could be a ruddy great big lilac bush there. I like to think so.

Regards,

John

Last edited by johnG; 08-07-11 at 04:32 PM.