British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-03-22, 09:46 AM

Default Lugged small 10th Gurkha Rifles

Gents, a recent find (pointed out to me by a fellow member here) - the small anodised alluminium 10th Princess Marys Own Gurkha Rifles cap badge. Not a rare badge and found maker marked on the slider by Gaunt London and FIRMIN LONDON. However, this example has lugs. It compares on the rear with the Gaunt example found slidered.

Any info on this scarce example greatly received chaps.

Bess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220325_093644.jpg (88.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20220325_093654.jpg (108.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20220325_093817.jpg (85.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 25-03-22, 01:39 PM

Duplicate post
Old 25-03-22, 01:39 PM

My thoughts are that its a very early anodised beret badge. Its a smaller version of the original large anodised hat badge ,the rare one with lugs.
Its a good find mate,ive only ever seen a couple of these.
Old 28-03-22, 10:46 AM

Hi Mike - I think you are right. The Gurkha Museum has a sealed pattern for the badge dated 25 Oct 1955. Worn by all ranks on the beret and by warrant officers and sergeants on the side hat.
Old 28-03-22, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
Hi Mike - I think you are right. The Gurkha Museum has a sealed pattern for the badge dated 25 Oct 1955. Worn by all ranks on the beret and by warrant officers and sergeants on the side hat.
A sealed pattern for the small size or the large size ? The IWM have a sealed pattern for the larger size badge. Described as Slouch hat badge dated 1971.

Last edited by Mike H; 28-03-22 at 11:43 AM.
Old 28-03-22, 12:03 PM

The small one. It's not mentioned in Chris Marsh's book but I believe the badge is actually illustrated in the Gurkha Museum's book on the insignia of 10GR (10GR D21A) - whilst its not clear I'm pretty sure the photo is of a lugged badge. Interestingly the book goes on " There is another sealed pattern in anodised aluminium with a slider fitting * in which the coronet and cypher are blocked in. This is noted as "Badge Cap small - dated 16 Nov 1961"
* my italics.
I've never seen a small version with the blocked in cypher but it clearly exists somewhere !
Old 28-03-22, 12:16 PM

Quote:
The small one. It's not mentioned in Chris Marsh's book but I believe the badge is actually illustrated in the Gurkha Museum's book on the insignia of 10GR (10GR D21A) - whilst its not clear I'm pretty sure the photo is of a lugged badge. Interestingly the book goes on " There is another sealed pattern in anodised aluminium with a slider fitting * in which the coronet and cypher are blocked in. This is noted as "Badge Cap small - dated 16 Nov 1961"
* my italics.
I've never seen a small version with the blocked in cypher but it clearly exists somewhere !
Hmmmm neither have i have. The large non void version appears pretty regularly.
Old 28-03-22, 09:20 PM

Quote:
* my italics.

Ive just reread the previous. Where it says."blocked in " is it referring to the whole area between the cords and the top of the kukri or just the area where the cypher and coronet are ? If its the latter then thats the norm.