British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-22, 12:00 PM

Hello Mike.

I wouldn’t quote me. I know nothing!

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 11-04-22, 02:20 PM

Hi Malcolm ,

I like working out puzzles and this one has a few more twists !

I found an obituary of a Major A.W.M.Atthill :

In 1893 he instituted the annual dinner to all the soldiers and sailors in Norfolk who were in possession of medals for active service or long service and good conduct.

In 1898 he founded the Royal Norfolk Veterans' Association. (which is still active today)

This confused me as the regiment became the Royal Norfolk Regiment on 3 June 1935.

Until I found their Facebook page which points out :
Quote:
Just a quick reminder, The Royal Norfolk Veterans Association in not to be mistaken for The Royal Norfolk Regiment Association.
One suggestion

When the 1st Battalion returned from India in 1907 they could have joined the The Royal Norfolk Veterans Association but as this was not specifically for the Norfolk Regiment (their association and cap badges are different) , they may have been a sub-group , formed their own association or simply had their own badge manufactured ?

Lots of questions but no definitive answer !

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 11-04-22, 03:04 PM

Hello Mike.

I have a pair of medals, QSA and Volunteer LSGC EDVII both named to a Sergeant, 1st. V.B. Norfolk Regiment. As I understand it he was amongst the first volunteers to go to South Africa in 1900. I believe later, QSAs were named: Volunteer Service Company. I am hoping the badge may be for those volunteers who served in South Africa. But I may have misunderstood what I have been told!

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 11-04-22, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
The word 'veteran' is not ofter used in British military associations, 'Old Comrades Association' being more usual.

It begs the question, what were the the 1st V.B. Battalion, Norfolk Regiment veterans of? Did the they serve in South Africa? If so, would Boer War or South Africa Veterans be more accurate? Possibly difficult to get it all on the badge though.

I also wonder if the badge was issued for a special event such as the disbandment of the Volunteer Battalions rather than as an association badge as many of the younger members would have transferred across to the T.F. in 1908.
Hi,

Yes, I'm more accustomed to the use of "old comrades association" (or "OCA") and have themed my area of collecting around this term. I've even decided that if it says "regimental association" I won't add it to my collection....
Old 12-04-22, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Hi Malcolm ,

I like working out puzzles and this one has a few more twists !

I found an obituary of a Major A.W.M.Atthill :

In 1893 he instituted the annual dinner to all the soldiers and sailors in Norfolk who were in possession of medals for active service or long service and good conduct.

In 1898 he founded the Royal Norfolk Veterans' Association. (which is still active today)

This confused me as the regiment became the Royal Norfolk Regiment on 3 June 1935.

Until I found their Facebook page which points out :

One suggestion

When the 1st Battalion returned from India in 1907 they could have joined the The Royal Norfolk Veterans Association but as this was not specifically for the Norfolk Regiment (their association and cap badges are different) , they may have been a sub-group , formed their own association or simply had their own badge manufactured ?

Lots of questions but no definitive answer !

Hi all, just for the record, I am currently treasurer for the Royal Norfolk Veterans Association, and run the Facebook site. The web page will be going soon due to the cost of hosting it.
Old 12-04-22, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw View Post
Hello Mike.

I have a pair of medals, QSA and Volunteer LSGC EDVII both named to a Sergeant, 1st. V.B. Norfolk Regiment. As I understand it he was amongst the first volunteers to go to South Africa in 1900. I believe later, QSAs were named: Volunteer Service Company. I am hoping the badge may be for those volunteers who served in South Africa. But I may have misunderstood what I have been told!

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Hi Malcolm, volunteer battalions are a different group of men to the volunteer service company, of which two left Norwich, with the founder of the RNVA in charge of one of them. I have a fantastic list done at the time, with there home address/medals won.
Old 12-04-22, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi all

I think that mine is just slightly different, not round but more "fan" shaped. It was the "Veteran" bit that intrigued me.

If I think of it, I'll fire up the camera!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
I’d like to see that please [thumbs up].

Can we see your badge, please?
Old 12-04-22, 08:05 AM

Hello Norfolk Regiment Man.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I fully understand everything, but willing to learn!

Who would have worn the badge I posted the picture of?

I would welcome your opinion on its attribution.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 12-04-22, 08:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Hi all, just for the record, I am currently treasurer for the Royal Norfolk Veterans Association, and run the Facebook site. The web page will be going soon due to the cost of hosting it.
I only found the web page and Facebook group while searching for info for this thread. They were both very interesting and informative.

One question , what was the founders' first name ?

His obituary has Major Arthur William Maunsell Atthill but the Gazette (May 1903) list him as Honorary Captain Anthony William Maunsell Atthill ?

Old 12-04-22, 09:07 AM

Hi Mike, yes you are correct, and its something that I am trying to sort, but I haven’t got to the bottom of it yet, you would think it would be easy. You will find a few posts about that on here.
Old 12-04-22, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw View Post
Not sure I fully understand everything, but willing to learn!
I am the same , I get confused between Militia/Volunteer/Regular battalions.

The Norfolk Boer War Memorial (Norwich) lists 306 names of the fallen which , while mainly 2nd Battalion Norfolk Regiment , also includes "Volunteer Companies" and has six Privates who served with "1st Battalion Norfolk Volunteer Company".

Old 12-04-22, 10:45 AM

Mike.

It seems a difficult area to understand, but very interesting nonetheless.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 12-04-22, 01:53 PM

pair of medals, QSA and Volunteer LSGC EDVII both named to a Sergeant, 1st. V.B. Norfolk Regiment.

Malcom,

Each of the four Norfolk Vol Bn used its own numbers. When men from the Norfolk Vol Bns volunteered for the Volunteer Service Companies, they were renumbered as regulars. When they returned to their Vol Bn they reverted to their original number. After the TF reforms in 1908 they would be renumbered. I find this so confusing I began some yeasr ago to collect Volunteer Bn, Volunteer Serice Company and Vol Long Service Medal names, numbers and dates for a translation sheet. Please may I have your man's details I may have them aready but if so they are on separate lists and I would like to link them.

Regards,

Rob.
Old 12-04-22, 03:35 PM

Hello Rob.

Many thanks for the reply. I understand more now. Have sent you a PM with details.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 13-04-22, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Can we see your badge, please?
Hi JT,

Here goes! I was miles off on the "veteran" bit but I knew that it had something a bit odd about it. That "Committee" bit was what had me wondering.

The maker is "J. Daffern & Co" one that I've not seen often but it may help to date the badge but the 2/6 th might also be useful.

Looking for the "veteran" badge has made me revisit a few of the OCAs that I have gathered up and I realise that I do have doubles so may post these for sale at some point.

OK, a pair might make nice earrings for my wife but I don't know how she feels about this.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg norfolk1.JPG (21.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg norfolk2.JPG (38.1 KB, 17 views)