British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-06-15, 06:36 AM

Default French SAS cap badges

As I probably made a mistake by posting these following photos in the post concerning the SOE/FANY parachute wings, I permit me to do a new post. I also try to present you better photos.

My own cap badges come directly from vet or familly, so I am sure of their story and of course authenticity.

Here are two rare metal cap badges worn in late 1943/1944 by the French SAS, and even by other Free French "special forces" men, as spies of the BCRA, Jedburgh and so...
About the modification of the Parachute Regiment cap badge, the French used to say that it was the british insignia without the "chien-chien et son panier", understand the little dog and his basket...sorry for that!

This kind of cap badge has of course been worn on the black beret (armoured corps one) or on much more rare navy-blue/grey beret (I have seen two of these kind of beret absolutely official and not tailor-made different from ARP or Polish berets; just a dye colour problem?).
What people do not usually know is that the SAS can have worn it even on the maroon beret in late 1944 and 1945, alone (probably for the new recruit) or both with the SAS cloth insignia! Women loved soldiers wearing many insignias, patches and medals; French SAS understood it!

Top cap badge is from Pierre DEVANNES, 3rd Coy 3rd SAS Regiment (he was in the maquis, joined SAS Regiment / operation DICKENS in august 1944).

Underneath cap badge is from Norbert POLLET, 2nd Coy 3rd SAS.

Pierre DEVANNES (sorry for the horrible quality of the photo):

Norbert POLLET:

A colorized photo of Henri GODET of late 1944, illustrating the maroon beret with metal cap badge (this kind of "composition" can also be seen post-WWII during the French Indochina war):

A SAS cloth cap-badge, coming from Aimé LLOPIS, 3rd Coy, 3rd SAS Regiment. See how the border is nicely cut:

Old 26-06-15, 08:54 AM

A well known and wonderfull portrait of DAZERMONT (taken after 1944 summer operations), wireless transmitter section leader of 3rd Coy 3rd SAS Regiment:

Old 26-06-15, 12:46 PM

Pianiste

The Dazermont image proves the point you made earlier - could any more badges be affixed to this uniform? Good to see the French Air Infantry badge being worn on left sleeve, I can't say I have noticed this before.

Mike
Old 26-06-15, 01:20 PM

Hi Mike,

All the insignias worn on the Battle Dress can have been worn on the Denison Smock: the british para wing can be worn on right or left sleeve, the Free French para wing usually worn over the right breast pocket but sometimes seen on the left one!... The rule for uniforms were not strict at all. It is still the same in the French Special Forces; they have a hard job to do, so they are not worried with such details.