British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-06-15, 08:36 AM

Default More WWII British parachute wings

I hope you don't grow tired of all my posts, but I enjoy to exchange about this theme and I have time to do it this week. I am sure it will give ideas to other people from the forum to publish photos from their own collection; I have to learn a lot on the British airborne / SAS theme.

Here are my collection of British parachute wings, also worn by the French SAS.

Contrary to the British SAS, French paratroopers loved to wear plenty of insignias on their battle dress (and even on their denison smocks): titles, pegasus, Free French, British, Polish (exceptionnaly US) para wings, SAS wings, Free French (Air Force, Army...) metal insignias, GQ insignias, French Air Infantry cloth insignia...real Christmas trees! They used to say that women loved it so we can understand (just French guys...)!

Wings on navy-blue canvas.
The top one comes from Pierre ROUX (stick leader 3rd Coy 3rd SAS).
The underneath one is exactly of the same construction than other kaki models shown above:

Two French SAS photos showing this kind of navy-blue canva:

Maurice SAUVE, wireless transmitter in 4th SAS Rgt (taken prisonner in Brittany on 6th june 1944), here in Scotland, spring 1944. He wears a different model of mine:

Henri LAGARDE (3rd Coy 3rd SAS) - photo taken in Glasgow 16.02.44 - wears what seems to be the same model as Pierre ROUX's one:

I am still looking for other WWII versions of these wings...
Old 26-06-15, 01:10 PM

if you are not fed up with me, more parachute wings (I have no other one in my collection after those):

I have very recently purchased the kaki model. Compare it to the upper one which is from Pierre ROUX (so undoubtfully get in England between 1943 and 1945): the constructions are nearly the same and I am quite sure they are from the same manufacturer.
The kaki one is not reinforced to give volume, and has pressure buttons sewn on the back. This kind of buttons are commonly worn on tropical or mediterrean uniforms, but it is not a rule. I have seen almost one "Sussex mission" Denison Smock whith such attached insignias, and many Jedburghs seem to use a similar method.
Excepting the wool border, their sizes are exactly the same:

Common models previously shown, but with different wear:

Old 26-06-15, 02:33 PM

The photograph below the title 'Henri Legarde' etc (France Serif title and British parachute qualification on right sleeve) shows a small badge on the right pocket. I wondered if it was a GQ Wing?
Mike
Old 26-06-15, 10:33 PM

You have some very nice wings Pianiste.

Thanks for sharing them with the forum.

You should put an album together.

Regards

Paul
Old 29-06-15, 09:46 AM

Thank you for all your messages.
Mike, concerning the little wings worn by H.Lagarde, indeed they are the "G.Q" ones.
Old 29-06-15, 10:50 AM
Banned

The GQ wings in the period photo don't seem to have any definition or colour so may be the simple pressed steel version, that was issued unenamelled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT2601.jpg (89.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 29-06-15, 04:51 PM

Hello SAS1 and all
I have heard that both enamel and plain GQ wings date from the period. Of course the named gold ones are the most desirable. I stand to be corrected as I am only quoting from books eg - Polski Sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939-1947 - which details Polish Insignia but includes GQ Wings on page 59, illustrating both plain and enameled. I hope this is helpful.
Mike
Old 29-06-15, 07:31 PM

hi chaps the wings shown in pictures 3,4 and 5 are nice private purchase examples note the way they are made with the different directions of the threads these are seen on WWII uniforms and where still being worn into the 50's nice pairs . steve

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !
Old 30-06-15, 05:06 AM

Hello Mike,
The gold badges were given to aircrew who had to actually use their parachutes to save their life, the others were merely given to anyone who had completed their parachute course using GQ parachutes, early examples were noticeably better made.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Hello SAS1 and all
I have heard that both enamel and plain GQ wings date from the period. Of course the named gold ones are the most desirable. I stand to be corrected as I am only quoting from books eg - Polski Sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939-1947 - which details Polish Insignia but includes GQ Wings on page 59, illustrating both plain and enameled. I hope this is helpful.
Mike
Old 30-06-15, 07:32 PM

You have some superb wings, but, I'm more interested in your photographs, do you have any more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianiste View Post
if you are not fed up with me, more parachute wings (I have no other one in my collection after those):

I have very recently purchased the kaki model. Compare it to the upper one which is from Pierre ROUX (so undoubtfully get in England between 1943 and 1945): the constructions are nearly the same and I am quite sure they are from the same manufacturer.
The kaki one is not reinforced to give volume, and has pressure buttons sewn on the back. This kind of buttons are commonly worn on tropical or mediterrean uniforms, but it is not a rule. I have seen almost one "Sussex mission" Denison Smock whith such attached insignias, and many Jedburghs seem to use a similar method.
Excepting the wool border, their sizes are exactly the same:

Common models previously shown, but with different wear:

Old 30-06-15, 08:09 PM

More photos showing British Paratrooper Wings worn by French SAS.

Men from 3rd Coy 3rd SAS (Dickens and Samson operations):

Look at the Free French / British paratroop wings sewn on the left breast or sleeve, and the wonderfull "Croix de Lorraine" painted by "Tatave" Bernault.

Sergeant Gardica, 3rd SAS:

Another French SAS, with para wing under the pegasus patch! :

Old 30-06-15, 08:16 PM

Very nice indeed, I take it that these men survived the war, did you know any of them well?

Quote:
More photos showing British Paratrooper Wings worn by French SAS.

Men from 3rd Coy 3rd SAS (Dickens and Samson operations):

Look at the Free French / British paratroop wings sewn on the left breast or sleeve, and the wonderfull "Croix de Lorraine" painted by "Tatave" Bernault.

Sergeant Gardica, 3rd SAS:

Another French SAS, with para wing under the pegasus patch! :

Old 30-06-15, 08:35 PM

Superb quality to the images - very clear - thank you
Mike
Old 01-07-15, 06:47 AM

To answer Frank, only know Octave BERNAULT ("Tatave" who has painted the cross of Lorraine on his Denison Smock) who is still alive and in a quite good health. His two friends have also survived the war.
Old 01-07-15, 09:58 AM

Hello again,
Glad to hear they all managed to survive the carnage, the photograph that I really like was that of Maurice Sauve in your first post in this thread, a lovely image, with that almost nonchalant look on his face and the cigarette in hand. a really super picture.
The reality was that all these airborne soldiers were really quite good, as a small boy, I remember being told that General Horrocks had, upon seeing some of General Urquhart's men, close up for the first time, actually turned to Urquhart and said "Your men are bloody killers" it was meant as a compliment and of course, he was right.
So how long have you had this interest, do you have a large collection.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
To answer Frank, only know Octave BERNAULT ("Tatave" who has painted the cross of Lorraine on his Denison Smock) who is still alive and in a quite good health. His two friends have also survived the war.