British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-06-13, 11:39 AM

Default What is this fixing lug on a collar badge?

I'm intrigued by the back of this AAMC collar badge, and what sort of fitting it may have had. It's a short thin-walled metal tube about 2mm in diameter brazed to the centre of the badge, and it appears to have been wrenched off at some stage as the end is quite ragged. It's bent downwards also.
I have 2 AAMC collars with this type of fitting. Can anyone shed any light on it?
Cheers, Derek
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAMC post fixing.jpg (66.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 20-06-13, 01:43 PM

Default Collar badge

Might it be a screw-post fix similar to the attached photos of a button? These were used to secure aiguilettes to shoulder boards where a longer, and temporary fitting was needed.

Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2298.jpg (45.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2300.jpg (52.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 21-06-13, 09:38 AM

No, it's definitely not a screw post. The attached pics give a better view. It's a thin-walled hollow metal rod brazed to the back of the badge. I've never encountered this on other badges - only the AAMC collars.
I thought it might be an ornamental attachment, such as from a desk name plate or a unit plaque?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collar1.jpg (45.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg collar2.jpg (62.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-01-20, 03:57 PM

It's the female part of the screw post, with the male part pulled off from inside by the look of it.
Old 15-02-20, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekx View Post
I'm intrigued by the back of this AAMC collar badge, and what sort of fitting it may have had. It's a short thin-walled metal tube about 2mm in diameter brazed to the centre of the badge, and it appears to have been wrenched off at some stage as the end is quite ragged. It's bent downwards also.
I have 2 AAMC collars with this type of fitting. Can anyone shed any light on it?
Cheers, Derek
Hi Derek, I believe it's been converted to a ladies hat pin. I had a QVC Victorian Cadet badge once with the same thing and have seen others. A long steel pin was soldered into the socket to be pushed through the hat and hair.

Cheers
Jamie
Old 16-02-20, 04:29 AM

See attached Edwardian button. I had an AVC bi-metal collar badge years ago which still had the original pin.
The suffragettes in UK were known to use these on policemen who tried to arrest them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pin1.jpg (64.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg pin3.jpg (39.2 KB, 12 views)