British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-08, 06:45 PM

Default Non facing collars

Following on from one of the Canadian badge threads, I wonder how many regiments wore non facing collars i.e. the same badges on each collar,I dont mean those with identical collars on each side, but those like the Liverpool Pals where both collars are the same as the cap badge that is both facing the same way.

I think the 5th Seaforths might be another example ( see new member Aberdeen medals web site )

Does anyone know of other examples ?
P.B,

P.S. Nice to see the steady increase in members ,and some pictures of superb items being posted by our Canadian friends.
Old 29-01-08, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Following on from one of the Canadian badge threads, I wonder how many regiments wore non facing collars i.e. the same badges on each collar,I dont mean those with identical collars on each side, but those like the Liverpool Pals where both collars are the same as the cap badge that is both facing the same way.

I think the 5th Seaforths might be another example ( see new member Aberdeen medals web site )

Does anyone know of other examples ?
P.B,
The QVC Derbyshire's don't face where as the KC & QC ones do. The East Surrey's although this is petty as it's only the lion below the castle. A couple of the London Btns (9th & 12th) despite being KRRC affiliated have the St. George and bugle respectively facing the same way and the 19th have the knights helmet on top of the shield both facing left as viewed. I'm sure there are others and those KRRC/RB regiments which did were them all face the same way.
Old 10-02-08, 07:47 PM

Default Conundrum

Following previous discussions,the situation with a normal cap badge and facing pair of collars seems clear, other than non facing and identical collars, the collar on the the viewers right hand side is the same as the cap badge.

What about the case of the Royal Scots/ Royal Scots Dragoon Guards and for that matter the 1st Royal Dragoons where the eagle on the cap badge faces the viewers right ? I know the way the collars are actually worn but in fact are they corrrect ?

The collar on the viewers left is the same as the cap badge,the collar badge on the viewers right is the opposite of the cap badge.

Hope others see where I am coming from.
P.B.
Old 27-02-08, 03:09 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default non facing collars

Any collar that was an official sheild or banner of a county, township or city or an Arms of a Family could only be stamped or worn facing that way, for example the Perth Regt wear the sheild with the horse facing the same way as the badge because that is an official (Town I believe)sheild, I don't know many that wear these things but that is my understanding, Again I call on Bill because I'm not into that stuff. I know the Royal Newfoundland worecollars facing the same way as the cap badge in WW 1 but now they have the same collars facing inward. Ray
Old 27-02-08, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
Following previous discussions,the situation with a normal cap badge and facing pair of collars seems clear, other than non facing and identical collars, the collar on the the viewers right hand side is the same as the cap badge.

What about the case of the Royal Scots/ Royal Scots Dragoon Guards and for that matter the 1st Royal Dragoons where the eagle on the cap badge faces the viewers right ? I know the way the collars are actually worn but in fact are they corrrect ?

The collar on the viewers left is the same as the cap badge,the collar badge on the viewers right is the opposite of the cap badge.

Hope others see where I am coming from.
P.B.
Well this chap is from one of them...and thy both face inwards....