British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-05-16, 11:55 PM

Default Help with this please.

Hi,
I would like to know why these Diggers are wearing leather belt and leggings?
They are signals - was that standard uniform for sigs in 1916? Also I am puzzled by the rising sun on the front of the slouch hats. Pardon my ignorance, but I am sure someone will put me right.
I should have mentioned his details.
10673 Archie Gordon Shepherd
3rd Australian Signals Company

regards,
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268.jpg (50.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 268A.jpg (68.8 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by JIMBODIXON; 12-05-16 at 05:22 AM. Reason: I should have stated who he was and his unit
Old 12-05-16, 07:23 AM

Hi Jim,

I am fairly certain that it was the practice of 3 Aust Div generally while that div was training in England for the brim of the hat to be worn down. Hence the GS badge being worn on the front of the hat - perhaps this is the slidered version that we hear so much about it being for the Light Horse.

The uniform is standard AIF except that shirt and tie were not allowed to be worn by other ranks, this would be for the photo only. No doubt a lot of blokes would have opted for that look on leave but if the 'jacks' had seen them they would have been crimed for improperly dressed.

I can't make out his shoulder title, one would assume that it is SIG CO. The leggings would probably be correct if they were members of the Line Section or despatch riders.

Unless those belts are the 'Belts Abdominal' described in the clothing lists I don't know what they are but you see a lot of blokes wearing them.

Keith
Old 12-05-16, 12:06 PM

Thanks Keith. Very much appreciated. Archie was shot in the chest on 25 April 1915 at Gallipoli. Sent home to recover, he was sent back overseas as fit for service in 1916. He succumbed to his injury and died in France in 1917.
R.I.P

Jim
Old 13-05-16, 01:03 AM

At the time only infantry walked, all other corps were mounted , R.A.E. , A.A.S.C. / A.A.M.C. etc , Signals wre part of the Engineers ( R.A.E.) location of the "Rising Sin " badge is as Keith said , and the belts , as far as i'm aware were a "dress" belt which was worn while on leave , though it was part of the mounted troops basic kit.

Regards Bob ( RAASC / RACT)
Old 13-05-16, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBODIXON View Post
Thanks Keith. Very much appreciated. Archie was shot in the chest on 25 April 1915 at Gallipoli. Sent home to recover, he was sent back overseas as fit for service in 1916. He succumbed to his injury and died in France in 1917.
R.I.P

Jim
I wonder how much he insisted on being declared fit for service.
Old 13-05-16, 02:18 AM

As post 4, belts look to be British 1903 pattern. Used by mounted troops through the war. http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/19...ts_straps.html Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 13-05-16 at 02:27 AM.
Old 20-06-16, 09:27 PM

Hi all,
Found this photo of Archie on the AWM site. Would be an early pic when he was with the 5th battalion, maybe prior to Gallipoli.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268 archie shepherd.jpg (34.7 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by JIMBODIXON; 20-06-16 at 10:11 PM. Reason: more info found
Old 21-06-16, 07:15 AM

Amazing how much militia stuff we see being worn in these departure photos of the early, and sometimes later, contingents and drafts. Even on blokes who haven't been in the service.

I note in a few of the war diaries in Egypt before Gallipoli that instructions are being issued that coloured puggarees, etc, are not to be worn. I presume he is wearing the khaki puggaree with red strip for infantry that was replaced by the red hat-band in 1912.

There must have been a thriving market at the camps for pre-war badges and gear, probably driven by the Defence Dept suppliers themselves.