British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-06-15, 03:06 PM

Nice one, Ken! You can never pass up an opportunity to visit a militaria shop. There's so few these days, and you never know what you might find.

David
Old 03-06-15, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The RCT Staff Band may have been formed in 1965, but I don't think they adopted the shako until 1974?

Just done an interweb search - mentions 1974 for introduction of the shako here:
http://www.collections.co.uk/postcar...ages/m065.html

Also mentioned in the book "Wait For The Wagon":https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0shako&f=false
Hiya Leigh Kitchen,

I didn't want to write a book on the bands Shako Plate badge and I didn't mention when it was introduced either, (as I was talking about the lucky break I had in finding the badge), but I was aware of the dates.

I have a very good book written by one of the bands members, as they are still very active as the RCT band & also as a Branch of the RASC & RCT Association. It's called "A Musical Ride" by Steve Ambler.

P6030003.jpg

I know a few of the guys from the RCT Staff Band that I'm proud to call friends and we meet up often for drinks and chats at Association meetings.

If you or anyone else are interested in the book it is on sale through Ebay Priced at £6.59 (FREE POSTAGE)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Musical-...item43d923849f

Ken (The Fatboy)
Old 03-06-15, 08:42 PM

Angry

[QUOTE=Fatboy Ken;,........

.........The RCT Band was reduced to 22 members by the time the Corps was disbanded in 1993, from the 60 that was at the formation parade in 1965.......

Ken (The Fatboy)[/QUOTE]

My apologies, I took this part of your post as a possible indication that you thought the badge would have been worn from 1965, rather than 1974.

I had no reason to think that you were writing a book & made no reference to writing a book.
I thought I was being a little helpful by mentioning what I take to be the dates of wear of the badge, one of which I'd had delivered just before I posted.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 03-06-15 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typed a 5 instead of a 4
Old 19-11-15, 12:23 AM

hI there , i 'won" one of these Shako's on Ebay , but the seller wouldn't post to Australia , very disappointed , as i am still after one.

Cheers Bob
Old 19-11-15, 12:28 AM

Hi Bob,

I understand your frustration, a common problem I fear. If you ever have the same issue with a US seller just let me know. Happy to receive it here in Arizona and ship it on to you. I often ship to Oz as I have a few clients there.

Good luck with your search old chap.

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 20-11-15, 05:44 PM

Would love to know where this militaria shop in Southampton is... such shops in the Portsmouth - Southampton area are very thin on the ground now Sabre Sales has closed.

Thanks,
Colin